My first BIABactus recipe, not so special IPA

Post #1 made 3 years ago
Hi y'all.

After a couple of hours I think I've wrapped my head around BIABactus and created my first recipe. I have used BeerSmith until now and I've "transferred" the recipe to BIABactus.

Any comments would be appreciated, this will be my 7th batch, the 4th with my current setup, volumes etc. I've managed to make 3 good beers, one meh and 2 terrible ones. Let's hope this one is awesome!

Side note: I know 90 min mash / boil is recommended, but being a stay at home dad, adding an extra hour to the brew could potentially mean all sorts of death from the youngsters, so I've split the difference and went with 75...

[center]BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3T RECIPE REPORT[/center]
[center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center]
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]Lindalen IPA - Batch 1[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Tyresöl
Style: IPA
Source Recipe Link:
ABV: 6,4% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)

Original Gravity (OG): 1,062
IBU's (Tinseth): 54,7
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0,88
Colour:

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 80,6 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 69,1 %

Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 75 mins at 67 C = 152,6 F
Boil: 75 min
Ferment: 14 days at 19 C = 66,2 F

Volumes & Gravities
(Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)
The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Water Needed (TWN): 11,61 L = 3,07 G
Volume into Boil (VIB): 10,46 L = 2,76 G @ 1,043
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 7 L = 1,85 G @ 1,062
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 6 L = 1,59 G @ 1,062
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 5,78 L = 1,53 G @ 1,012 assuming apparent attenuation of 80 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)

59,5% Pale Malt 2-row 1082 grams = 2,39 pounds
23,8% Maris Otter 433 grams = 0,95 pounds
11,9% Vienna 216 grams = 0,48 pounds
4,8% Crystal 60L 87 grams = 0,19 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

18,9 IBU Centennial Pellets (10%AA) 5,8 grams = 0,205 ounces at 60 mins
14,8 IBU Amarillo Pellets (8,5%AA) 5,8 grams = 0,205 ounces at 45 mins
10,9 IBU Centennial Pellets (10%AA) 4,4 grams = 0,154 ounces at 30 mins
10 IBU Amarillo Pellets (8,5%AA) 7,3 grams = 0,256 ounces at 15 mins
0,1 IBU Centennial Pellets (10%AA) 5,8 grams = 0,205 ounces at 0,1 mins
0,1 IBU Amarillo Pellets (8,5%AA) 5,8 grams = 0,205 ounces at 0,1 mins

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash): Saccharifiaction for 75 mins at 67 C = 152,6 F

Strike Water Needed (SWN): 11,84 L = 3,13 G 67,8 C = 154 F

Miscellaneous Ingredients

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Hopsock Used: N

Fermentation & Conditioning

Fermentation: Nottingham Ale for 14 days at 19 C = 66,2 F

Secondary Used: N
Crash-Chilled: Y

Serving Temp: 10 C = 50 F
Condition for 10 days.

Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tyresbeer on 09 Jul 2016, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post #3 made 3 years ago
Cool beans! I'm planning on brewing on Monday. Very excited to try BIABActus, my last brew using BS nummer I got 55% eff.. Beer tastes good but it's still annoying. Hoping for better numbers this time!

Post #4 made 3 years ago
Be sure to fill out sections L and M as you brew. It's very easy to measure volumes with a ruler at any point you wish with the headspace calculator, I think it section U or V but can't recall and not near a computer atm... If you have any issues it makes it easier to troubleshoot when you record as much info as possible throughout the brew session. Good luck!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #5 made 3 years ago
Ok. So i brewed. Not the recipe stated above though. I sat yesterday, sipping a hoppy IPA a realised; I'm not that in to hoppy beers at the moment. Go figure...
So, I looked inte my malt and hop storage and thought; let's make a low abv APA, might be good. Said and done, I hade a recipe that looked good, put he numbers in to BIABactus and went to bed.

Next morning, flame on and of we went. Mashing went okay, dropped 1°C from 75 to 15 minutes, when I checked at 0 minutes it had dropped 3°C... Pre boil volume was beret than expected, SG was 6 pints below... I thought that 75v minutes boil would take care of that but my OG was only 1.033, est. was 1.042

I'm not comfortable with adding sugar nor did I have any DME at hand to add.. So I have to live with the fact that I've brewed a very low ABV-verison of my low ABV beer.

The thing that comes to mind is that the mash and the mash temp is the criminal in this case.. The pilsner malt is 4 months old (pre crushed) if that might make a difference.

What bother me the most is that my mashing procedure is the same as previous beers, but this time I had better insulation and I've never missed
SG or OG, only VIF... Anyone have any advice? I mashed in at 68°C, it dropped to 65°, I added heat to reach 67°C and then something went tits up...
I did mash out at 75°C..

The only fun part in this was that my previous brew, a SMASH (Maris Otter/Cascade) was finally ready and it was tasty as hell! I mean really good! I had som friends over and they where really excited about it. And that made my failure with the APA fee less important. You win some, you loose some. The lesson is that you never stop trying, never stop brewing. Some beers might be terrible, but the one's that aren't; yeah baby, yeah!

Also, I might have found my house ale :) It fulfilled its purpose, Iäm drunk and happy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #7 made 3 years ago
Hmm, according to your file, you were very close with efficiency into boil and efficiency of ambient wort. This is good since technically on a perfect brew those numbers should be the same, however on this brew they should be much higher.

When doing such a small batch size I would think little things can have a big impact. How are you weighing your grain? Are you using the grain amounts from the right hand side under 'What you will use'? How are you measuring gravity? Also how do you measure volume?

Technically if your mash temp was a bit off it shouldn't affect efficiency numbers too much, it will affect the fermentability of the sugars you are converting rather than amount.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #8 made 3 years ago
I was very surprised when I took the gravity sample because all the other parts was spot on, best in my "career" actually..

I weighed my grain with my normal digital kitchen scale, the same I've used for previous batches.

I used the amounts on the right, "What you will use".

I'm measuring my gravity with a good ol hydrometer. Side note, on top of my wish list is a refractometer.. If I'm drawing five samples from one batch it's alost two beers gone.

I measure volume with a 10L jug, and the I top of to achieve full volume. I also measure with a metal ruler, so the measurements might be a few mm of, but that wouldn't make such a difference.

When I get home I will check to see if my hydrometer might have gone banans... Stay tuned.

Post #9 made 3 years ago
Well, it turns out that my thermometer is FUBAR. Brought some water to a raging boil on my induction stove and it showed 95°C, which means that I've probably mashed around 60-61°C

That would explain why I didn't get as much sugars from the mash as I was supposed to, right?

Buying a new thermometer...

My first BIABactus recipe, not so special IPA

Post #10 made 3 years ago
That depends on a few things. The first being your current altitude. If you are at sea level then reading 95C at boiling is off but if you are up in the mountains somewhere it could be ok.

The other thing is that if it is out by 5C at boiling that doesn't mean the error is the same at mash temperatures. Technicians who require accurate measurement have their thermometers calibrated on a regular basis at the temp they need to measure.

If you have a 10L jug are you sure it is accurate? It seems that those sort of measures are notoriously unreliable so that is worth a check too.

Crushed grain that is 4 months old could be the culprit depending on how it was stored.

If you want to bring the gravity up it is ok to add DME to the fermenter. I think most people would dilute in boiling water but you can add it dry and stir in with a sterilized spoon.

Either way I'm sure it will taste fine!

Post #11 made 3 years ago
I'm at sea level. The jug is measured, both with a 1L cup and with the gradings on my new fermentor. But, just to be safe, I've ordered a new scale so now I can weight my water in order to be super accurate.

The age of the grains could be one issue, I store them in a walk in pantry that currently is at 19C.

I think the beer might be good, it just annoying when you're new at something and the one constant you have are the numbers provided and they are way of. I'd rather not use DME, Not for any particular reason, I just don't want to cheat ;-)

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 7 guests