Lager

Post #1 made 8 years ago
I'll try to keep on point here.
Used Jamil's method of brewing a lager, ie BJCP study guide. Lagered at 52* for 2 weeks (he says that at that at 50* you do not need a diacetyl rest. Work got in the way for a couple of days and temp went to 58* but never over. At 2.5 week mark now....
Question, should I increase temp and do a D rest or bring back to 52* and then rack to secondary and lager for 2 months... I know ...WHAT! 2 MONTHS !. Yes I have patience for a good lager !

What say you ??
J
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Why do you need a diacetyl rest when you are 52 years old but not at fifty? I've just turned 52 and can see no reason for this Joe :angry:.

Hold on, you mean 52 °F? Stop being lazy and post metric and US :P.

Okay, 52 °F is 11.1 °C, 50 °F is 10.0 °C and 58 °F is 14.4 °C.

I'm a bit confused on your question - you say that work got in the way and that the brew rose to 58 °F (14.4 °C). Isn't that a diacetyl rest in itself?

Also, what's Jamil's method? (I've got a five-year-old BJCP study guide here but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have Jamil's method in it???)

Finally, you ask if you should lager for two months. At what temp?

Brewing a Lager

Here is all I know and what I do...

Say if I want to ferment at 50 °F (10.0 °C), I chill until I reach 46.4 °F (8 °C) even if it takes me a day to get to that temp. I do this only because a local brewer here who always wins comps does this. He told me that if you pitch at a low temp, you don't need to do a diacetyl rest.

I don't think I should write any more than that for now. That's not because I want to withhold info but more because I tend to give too much info in one hit (and I'm buggered!).

Also, before I write more, I'd like to hear from others and get more info from Joe.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Apr 2016, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Sorry PP, Kicking meself in the arse for not enough info .... you won't need to.
BJCP beer studies, class 2, Pils recipe formulation, Classic Amer. Pils.
Forgot about the International people & should be posting both temps. Mea Culpa.

Ok, Yes ,as you said, lowered temps to 9c/48f , pitched yeast @ 11c/52f, held nicely for 2.5 weeks.... Jobs @7 am(fresh ice bottles at 6am b4 leaving) Check at 8pm temp up to 14.4c/58f . reice. Never really stayed at 14.4c/58f for more than 1-2 hours. I think. Then back down overnight.

Wasn't asking about lagering for 2 months, that's just the way I do my lagers .
Rack to secondary, then bring down to around 2.2c/36f and forget about them till the calendar dings .
I did pitch at low temp and was not going to do D rest, not sure if I need to now with temp fluctuations.
No worries PP, twas late when you wrote. Thanks for the kick !!HAHAHA

J
PS, when you get older , the rest does come in handy !!! HAHAHA
got a few years on ya !

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Lol Joe :). I hope you didn't really think I was 'kicking your arse'. Pull me into line if it did seem that way!

More questions...

If you had the wort at 9 C / 48 F, why did you pitch at 11 C / 52 F?

What beer style and what yeast?

Off the top of my head though, given your last post, I think a diacetyl rest would only do good. (In future, if you pitch low, the diacetyl rest can be avoided).

I much prefer afternoon rests than diacetyl ones, even at 52 years old (metric) or 52 years old (US) :).
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Hey PP , sorry between work & bro -inlaw in hospital haven't gotten back with you.....
Pitched at 11c/52fbecause after dropping temp I pulled from chill then aerated wort for 15 minutes... temp rose at that time.
Beer style is a Classic American Pils.. Yeast was White Labs WLP840.
Went with a rest ........Not a nap HAHAHA
J

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 6 guests