First of all. I have read many posts on this forum and I am truly amazed about all the knowledgeable people and the willingness to share knowledge and tips! Very valuable indeed!
Yesterday I brewed my first allgrain BIAB brew with full volume and no sparging. Here is my short write-up.
My equipment consist of a 50-liter kettle, a stainless steel grain basket and a plate chiller.
The brew was an 25 liter IPA allgrain set - with a fixed grain bill, pre-weighted hops, and a pack of Safale US-05.
My main question is about BIABacus and how to adjust the "Desired volume into Fermentor (VIF)" versus the "What you will use" numbers suggested by BIABacus - against the fixed amount of grains I have.
Even though I had a test-run without grains up front, I was caught by overflowing basket when grains was added, ha ha :-). The kettle held the total volume :-)
I had to make a makeshift hanging device in order not drown the grain-basket in the kettle (it overflowed with approx. 2 inches). This unfortunately prohibited me from mashing with a completely closed lid, albeit I made an arrangement there too :-)
A bit stumbled over the overflow, I went over the numbers again, and as many already has pointed out in other posts, what does actually a 25 liter kit mean? Is it "Desired Volume into Fermentor (VIF)" or is it "Volume into Packaging (VIP"? I remember I also where puzzled about this but somewhere I got the idea that VIF should be 23 liter, so that is what I was working on :-)
During the mashing-period I had the time to really READ what the BIABacus told me. That was when I first actually paid notice to the "What You Will Use" numbers! Below you see my numbers:
The WYWU-numbers are much higher than my fixed grain bill! This led me to experiment a little with VIF, in order to get the WYWU-numbers closer to my grain bill. Below you see how the numbers changed when I set VIF to 18.1 liter.
The question is therefore; Is this right usage of BIABacus and correct thinking?
The rest of brew went fairly well. Really loved the stainless steel basket as it contained all grains and the wort was pretty much free from any grain residues. After the mash, I emptied the basked, cleaned it with a garden hose, and used it as a giant hop-sock during boiling. Again the basked contain almost all the trub and after the boil, super easy to clean :-)
Transferring the wort to the fermenter went somewhat slower than my test-run with water and it took a while before I understood that I could also reduce the water flow to increase the temperature of the flowing wort. Well it all ended up with a 24C wort, which I pitched.
Now, a day later, the fermentor is plopping away :-)
Post #1 made 4 years ago
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rvoith on 20 Mar 2015, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
- BME Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Norway