Post #101 made 9 years ago
Excuse my ignorance but I wasnt aware that fermenter shape was that important? I read once that conical fermenters where over rated but I guess thats from a home brew pov.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #102 made 9 years ago
nosco wrote:Excuse my ignorance but I wasnt aware that fermenter shape was that important? I read once that conical fermenters where over rated but I guess thats from a home brew pov.
I personally have NFI but came across this experiment on BBR of Fermenter types and shapes

If you have a spare hour maybe take a listen and let us know the outcome ;)
Last edited by bundy on 06 Nov 2014, 13:24, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #103 made 9 years ago
I need to take an hour out of my day to listen intently to this podcast . I am not sure if the fermenter shape or material has an effect . Sounds like another experiment.
Joe
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #104 made 9 years ago
I did actually listen to it few weeks ago. They did say there was a flavour difference between glass and plastic with some beer styles. Not better or worse just different. Its just a one off test though so not conclusive. They didnt have access to a conical fermenter.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #105 made 8 years ago
I haven't actually got my BIAB equipment as of yet, but am looking into equipment and like the look of an all-in-one ACE boiler (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACE-BEER-MASH ... 339973c708) basically a converted water boiler.

So based on this i've been trying to fit the below recipe (from http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=276756) into the BIABacus:

----------
Style: Oatmeal stout
Brewer: Mikkel Bjergsø & Kristian Keller
Volume: 25 liters
OG: 1073
FG: 1016
Alcohol: 7.5 % by vol.
Colour: 123 EBC (Black)
Bitterness: 116 IBU
BU/GU: 1.58

Fermentables
Pilsner Malt 3 EBC 4500 grammes
Flaked Oats 5 EBC 2000 grammes
Cara Munich 90 EBC 500 grammes
Smoked Malt 6 EBC 500 grammes
Chocolate Malt 500 EBC 500 grammes
Chocolate Malt 940 EBC 500 grammes
Roasted Barley 1150 EBC 500 grammes

Mash schedule
67/68 degrees for 75 minutes

Hops
Centennial 10% alpha 50 grammes 60 minutes
Cascade 5.7% alpha 50 grammes 60 minutes
Cascade 5.7% alpha 50 grammes 15 minutes
Centennial 10% alpha 50 grammes 5 minutes

Fermentation
Yeast: 1056 American Ale / WLP001
-------------

From what i can see the above recipe does not have much integrity but i've tried to fit it in as much as possible. I'm looking to brew 20 x 330mL bottles so have set the VIF so that VIP is just above 6.6L. Can someone have a look and tear it apart if need be?

P.S. On a side note when using Section Q of the BIABacus and setting my bottle volume as 330mL why doesn't it calculate the amount of bottles required?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #106 made 8 years ago
Meryvn, First, you have set 75 minutes for the Mash. You are wanting a 1.049 GIB, which is a High Gravity.

If you can Measure the Gravity a few times through the Mash, and continue to Mash until you achieve 1.049Sg, your batch will be very close to the Gravity and Volume you want.

Mash time are very dependent on grain(Age, Moisture and Grind), and well as water(Temperature and PH).

Also, Section 'Q' needs the data entered into sections 'L','M','N', and 'O' tp determine the "Actual" volume you Brewed.

Good Luck!!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #107 made 8 years ago
Thanks, so if i get you right i should just continue the mash until i hit a 1.049 sg and not worry too much about the timing?

Current plan (once i get the boiler) is to split this in two once boiled and add coffee/vanilla to one to try and replicate the Vanilla Shake version of Beer Geek though without being a double/imperial stout.

Post #108 made 8 years ago
The mash time may be as little as 30 minutes, or 2 hours.
Most likley 90+ minutes really....
Last edited by joshua on 29 Aug 2015, 02:34, edited 2 times in total.

Post #110 made 8 years ago
Hey, I'm looking to use a recipe that is the same or very similar to this one. I'm curious about the integrity. It seems like it has figures for VIF (6 gallons) and VIB (7 gal) as well as GIB (1.066) and OG (1.077)

I'm curious if I should increase the mash and/or boil time to 90 minutes to accommodate for BIAB.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Sip of Sunshine Clone

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.066
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.077
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 8.25%
IBU (tinseth): 97.8
SRM (morey): 8.26

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - Belgian - Pale Ale (63.8%)
3 lb - American - Vienna (17.4%)
1 lb - Flaked Oats (5.8%)
12 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4.3%)
4 oz - United Kingdom - Amber (1.4%)
4 oz - Belgian - CaraMunich (1.4%)
1 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (5.8%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 61.57
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 18.23
3 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 18
3 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F
3 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 152 F
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.3 qt/lb

YEAST:
GigaYeast - Vermont IPA Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 80%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 62 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 64 F

Post #111 made 8 years ago
I hope you have a 15 gallon/60L kettle to Do a Full Volume BIAB Batch.

Or Have a 15 gallon Esky/Coleman Cooler to do the Full Volume Mash.

"2 vessel Brewing"

Post #113 made 8 years ago
joshua wrote:I hope you have a 15 gallon/60L kettle to Do a Full Volume BIAB Batch.

Or Have a 15 gallon Esky/Coleman Cooler to do the Full Volume Mash.

"2 vessel Brewing"
I am actually converting this for my equipment for a 2 gallon batch. I have a 5 gallon kettle.

Here is the recipe report from BIABacus. I put in 90 minute mash tims instead of the 60 minute listed on the recipe. This is something I am still a little unsure about. I have read that BIAB does better with 90 minute mashes, is this true? Should I always mash 90 minutes regardless of recipe instructions? Should I stick with a 60 minute boil or go with 90 minutes?

[center]BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3T RECIPE REPORT[/center]
[center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center]
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]Sip of Sunshine clone[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Adam Schmidt
Style: New England IPA
Source Recipe Link:
ABV: 7.6% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.077
IBU's (Tinseth): 89.6
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 1.16
Colour: 17.5 EBC = 8.9 SRM

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 73.9 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 63.4 %

Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 66.5 C = 151.7 F
Boil: 60 min
Ferment: 14 days at 19 C = 66.2 F

Volumes & Gravities
(Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)
The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Water Needed (TWN): 13.87 L = 3.66 G
Volume into Boil (VIB): 11.93 L = 3.15 G @ 1.059
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 8.75 L = 2.31 G @ 1.077
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 7.5 L = 1.98 G @ 1.077
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 6.95 L = 1.83 G @ 1.019 assuming apparent attenuation of 75 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)

63.8% Belgian Pale Ale Malt (7.6 EBC = 3.9 SRM) 1962 grams = 4.33 pounds
17.4% Vienna (9.2 EBC = 4.7 SRM) 535 grams = 1.18 pounds
5.8% Flaked Oats (4.4 EBC = 2.2 SRM) 178 grams = 0.39 pounds
4.3% Carapils (3.3 EBC = 1.7 SRM) 134 grams = 0.29 pounds
1.4% CaraRed (39.4 EBC = 20 SRM) 44 grams = 0.1 pounds
1.4% CaraMunich (110.3 EBC = 56 SRM) 44 grams = 0.1 pounds
5.8% Corn Sugar (0.01 EBC = 0 SRM) 178 grams = 0.39 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

56.6 IBU Columbus Pellets (15%AA) 16.6 grams = 0.585 ounces at 60 mins
16.6 IBU Citra Pellets (11%AA) 11 grams = 0.387 ounces at 20 mins
16.3 IBU Citra Pellets (11%AA) 32.8 grams = 1.156 ounces at 5 mins
0 IBU Citra Pellets (11%AA) 32.8 grams = 1.156 ounces at 0.01 mins
(Dry Hopped)

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash): Saccharifiaction for 90 mins at 66.5 C = 151.7 F

Strike Water Needed (SWN): 14.15 L = 3.74 G 67.5 C = 153.6 F

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Chilling Method: Wort chiller

Fermentation & Conditioning

Fermentation: GigaYeast Vermont IPA for 14 days at 19 C = 66.2 F
Last edited by Syncharmony on 14 Oct 2015, 03:47, edited 2 times in total.

Post #116 made 8 years ago
Syncharmony -

I set Section X - volume loss from lauter to 0.40 l/kg, per note.

Regarding your post #110, no that recipe does not have integrity, let me explain. First I increased the kettle size for this troubleshooting process. I also made changes to two of your hop additions (last two to zero minutes).

To find the VAW in the Hop Bill section, I played 20 questions to find what VAW would make it match the IBU on both sides, found 20.75L worked best for 98 IBU.

Looking at Section K I found 17.80L was the VIF, so I plugged that into Section B.

Set Section X to 70% to match grain bill weight on both sides.

If you are okay with the 'recipe', grain, hops, OG, etc., this is my best guess for you for the volumes to expect in Section K and the gravity into boil in Section M.

The efficiency will be somewhere between 70% and the BIABacus estimate of 76.7%

MS
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 14 Oct 2015, 09:48, edited 2 times in total.

Post #117 made 8 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:Syncharmony -

I set Section X - volume loss from lauter to 0.40 l/kg, per note.

Regarding your post #110, no that recipe does not have integrity, let me explain. First I increased the kettle size for this troubleshooting process. I also made changes to two of your hop additions (last two to zero minutes).

To find the VAW in the Hop Bill section, I played 20 questions to find what VAW would make it match the IBU on both sides, found 20.75L worked best for 98 IBU.

Looking at Section K I found 17.80L was the VIF, so I plugged that into Section B.

Set Section X to 70% to match grain bill weight on both sides.

If you are okay with the 'recipe', grain, hops, OG, etc., this is my best guess for you for the volumes to expect in Section K and the gravity into boil in Section M.

The efficiency will be somewhere between 70% and the BIABacus estimate of 76.7%

MS

Hmm, I'm still new at this so I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you changed values in the BIABacus to match the original recipe to basically fact check it to see if the calculated values match the stated values in the recipe?

Are you able to explain further the adjustment made in section X? The 70% value, where does that that get plugged in? Adjust auto kettle efficiency by _% or set it to _%? I assume it's one of those but which one? Section X right now is the Area 51 of the BIABacus to me. Is there a post on these forums that clearly explains the functionality of this section? When to use it, how value adjustments change the rest of the values, etc?
Last edited by Syncharmony on 14 Oct 2015, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.

Post #118 made 8 years ago
Syncharmony wrote: Hmm, I'm still new at this so I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you changed values in the BIABacus to match the original recipe to basically fact check it to see if the calculated values match the stated values in the recipe?
Yes, this is exactly what I did. I wasn't able to post my file last night. It's included today.
Syncharmony wrote: Are you able to explain further the adjustment made in section X? The 70% value, where does that that get plugged in? Adjust auto kettle efficiency by _% or set it to _%? I assume it's one of those but which one? Section X right now is the Area 51 of the BIABacus to me. Is there a post on these forums that clearly explains the functionality of this section? When to use it, how value adjustments change the rest of the values, etc?
The 70% from the recipe in post #110 actually did match the grain bill when it was entered into the BIABacus Section X. Feel free the remove that value and go with the predicted efficiency. Get a half dozen brews under your belt before you think to override the BIABacus defaults in Section X.

Reset your Section B settings and you should be a go on brewing this one. Follow the BIABacus volumes in Section K and the corresponding kettle headspace in Section T.
BIABacus Brew 4 SoS clone - troubleshooting MS.xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 15 Oct 2015, 07:08, edited 2 times in total.

Post #119 made 8 years ago
Thanks for all your help!
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Syncharmony wrote: Hmm, I'm still new at this so I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you changed values in the BIABacus to match the original recipe to basically fact check it to see if the calculated values match the stated values in the recipe?
Yes, this is exactly what I did. I wasn't able to post my file last night. It's included today.
Syncharmony wrote: Are you able to explain further the adjustment made in section X? The 70% value, where does that that get plugged in? Adjust auto kettle efficiency by _% or set it to _%? I assume it's one of those but which one? Section X right now is the Area 51 of the BIABacus to me. Is there a post on these forums that clearly explains the functionality of this section? When to use it, how value adjustments change the rest of the values, etc?
The 70% from the recipe in post #110 actually did match the grain bill when it was entered into the BIABacus Section X. Feel free the remove that value and go with the predicted efficiency. Get a half dozen brews under your belt before you think to override the BIABacus defaults in Section X.

Reset your Section B settings and you should be a go on brewing this one. Follow the BIABacus volumes in Section K and the corresponding kettle headspace in Section T.
BIABacus Brew 4 SoS clone - troubleshooting MS.xls
Last edited by Syncharmony on 15 Oct 2015, 21:20, edited 2 times in total.

Post #120 made 7 years ago
Hello All,

Getting ready to brew my first BIAB this weekend an would like to submit this recipe for review. Looks like it will work just fine but want other opinions.

I will be fermenting in a chest freezer converted to a fermentation chamber and using a 6 gal bucket as the fermenter. I will pitch either White Labs WLP001 California Ale or Wyeast 1056 American ale. I will be making a starter. Any opinions on fermentation temp?

Attaching BIABacus file.

Thanks in advance!
James
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #121 made 7 years ago
Hi James, I see what you have in your BIABacus but not the original recipe. I will let others comment on if they think something is missing (if anything) in case I missed anything. You are missing the recipe's VAW, and if you are making the guesses or designing your own - put in the target IBU. Those are in Section D.

Those two yeasts are supposed to be the same yeast... From Sierra Nevada (according to Mr. Malty, http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm). On yeast questions - first look up the supplier's info on their website and see what they recommend. They will give a temperature range. I have a temperature controller with fermentation chamber, and normally ferment Wyeast 1056 / WL001 at 68 deg F / 20 deg C.

Wyeast: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=5

White Labs: http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp001-c ... -ale-yeast

Back "in the old days" (a couple years ago), with no actual temp controlled fermentation chamber I would have put my fermenter in a larger garbage can filled with water most the way to keep "consistent" temperatures as long as the average temp would stay within the "recommended range"... Research I've read appears to show maintaining a Consistent Temperature is more important to final beer quality than having a perfect temperature.

:luck:
Last edited by Scott on 01 Sep 2016, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #122 made 7 years ago
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply and also thanks for the response yesterday. I have included the original recipe now. Sorry forgot to include it yesterday.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5 & 11
Original Gravity: 1.039
Final Gravity: 1.008
IBU: 21.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60-75
Color: 3.9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 days at 68 Degrees
Additional Fermentation: Kegged, chilled and Carb'd for one week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 Days at 68 Degrees

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

Can't wait to start brewing again.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #123 made 7 years ago
James, some quick answers...

The recipe's VAW appears to be 5.5 gallons and VIP 5.0 gallons. So put the VAW into Section D.

The recipe is calling for a different yeast (Nottingham, a Brittish yeast) than the one you have in there. No problem either way, just realize it will have quite different character. Nottingham would be like WLP039, not sure the Wyeast equivalent, and the recipe author lists a dry yeast in his recipe. And if not that exactly, most any British yeast would be closer than American Ale Yeast. They would seem a little sweeter, more malty and less hoppy - a generalization. Wyeast 1332 - Northwest Ale Yeast would actually be closer to a Brittish yeast strain than WLP001/Wyeast1056.

Section H has a field where you can change the yeast's attenuation. Default if left blank is 75 (for 75%). Some yeasts attenuate more and others less. I adjust this if yeast I'm different has a different attenuation (and if a range I shoot for the middle). The BIABacus will show a different final estimated ABV, etc.

And note that the recipe you posted above assumes efficiency of 70%. We normally get higher efficiency with full volume BIAB in the low 80s, so expect - even if brewing the same batch size - expect the BIABacus to tell you to use less raw materials.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #124 made 7 years ago
James,Scott mentioned different yeast means different character beer as the end result. Nottingham has a reputation for being high attenuating (voracious) so your choice of a lower attenuating yeast will give a less dry finish. That's OK, as long as you know.
The other point on efficiency - BIAB can beat the 70% efficiency cited, but that is best assured with a 90 minute mash, not just 60.
Brew it and see, you will get beer and that's good.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 81 guests