Scaling Amarillo APA to 1 gal using BIABacus

Post #1 made 7 years ago
My first attempt an using BIABacus scaling down the Amarillo APA recipe to 1 gal into the primary.
FWIW, I kept getting an error message using the template on Excel for Mac v 15.15. I was able to use an existing file from the site and zero's out the entries (I hope). One of my main concerns is that grain bill and hop bills were noticeable smaller than when I scaled down using the Calculator (water exceeded pot by a liter, grain bill was 1205v grams and hop bill was different). I attached both files in case someone need to compare.

I have suplies for two more batches. so I want to use the BIABacus to confirm the actual result for boil off etc

Does this look correct to you? I am using hop bags, a filter in the funnel, Irish moss and a DIY wort chiller (cost me $20 )

Thank you

Mike

[center]BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3T RECIPE REPORT[/center]
[center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center]
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]Amarillo APA[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Mike
Style: APA
Source Recipe Link:
ABV: 5.6% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.058
IBU's (Tinseth): 30.8
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.53
Colour: 16.6 EBC = 8.4 SRM

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 85.4 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 76.9 %

Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 67 C = 152.6 F
Boil: 90 min
Ferment: 14 days at 20 C = 68 F

Volumes & Gravities
(Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)
The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Water Needed (TWN): 8.58 L = 2.27 G
Volume into Boil (VIB): 7.97 L = 2.11 G @ 1.032
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 4.22 L = 1.11 G @ 1.058
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 3.8 L = 1 G @ 1.058
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 3.66 L = 0.97 G @ 1.015 assuming apparent attenuation of 75 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)

76.8% Pale Ale Malt (3.6 EBC = 1.8 SRM) 743 grams = 1.64 pounds
15.4% Munuch1 (17.6 EBC = 8.9 SRM) 149 grams = 0.33 pounds
7.8% Cara Amber (94.2 EBC = 47.8 SRM) 75 grams = 0.17 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

18.4 IBU US Amarillo Pellets (8.9%AA) 3.7 grams = 0.13 ounces at 60 mins
9.8 IBU US Amarillo Pellets (8.9%AA) 3.3 grams = 0.115 ounces at 20 mins
2.5 IBU US Amarillo Pellets (8.9%AA) 2.6 grams = 0.09 ounces at 5 mins
(Dry Hopped)

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash): Saccharifiaction for 90 mins at 67 C = 152.6 F

Strike Water Needed (SWN): 8.75 L = 2.31 G 69.5 C = 157.2 F

Miscellaneous Ingredients

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Hopsock Used: Y
Whirlpool: 0 mins after boil end.
Chilling Method: Wort Chiller (Employed 0 mins after boil end.)

Fermentation & Conditioning

Fermentation: S 05 for 14 days at 20 C = 68 F

Secondary Used: n
Crash-Chilled: y
Filtered: Y

Condition for 14 days.

Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LI Mike D on 02 Nov 2016, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Use this one. I just changed in Section B.
BIABacus PR1.3T - American Pale Ale - NRB%27s All Amarillo APA - Batch A0.xls

My recall is that the % percent sign is not allowed or after it has been saved the file can not be modified in those fields again.

The calculator is no longer used.

MS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 02 Nov 2016, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:Use this one. I just changed in Section B.
BIABacus PR1.3T - American Pale Ale - NRB%27s All Amarillo APA - Batch A0.xls

My recall is that the % percent sign is not allowed or after it has been saved the file can not be modified in those fields again.

The calculator is no longer used.

MS
The error message was happening as soon as I opened the template

"This workbook contains defined names that conflict with valid cell references.
To correct this issue, underscores (_) have been added to the defined names that conflict with the cell references. Conflicting names in XLM macro code have not been changed, and must be corrected manually."

(i just checked it again)

Thanks about the % issue - I figured that out and was able to back it out to start clean .

Thanks about the calculator, i eventually noticed the red comment about it no longer being used.

Thanks BIABrewer and the the members who helped create BIABacus. I'm loving it and its really upped my beer knowledge. My first BIAB 1 gal brews were sort of winging it, just pro rating recipes. I like the way BIABacus removes a lot of the guess work while permitting adjustments to account for actual results using our own equipment.

I currently have three brews in 1 gal primaries (my first brew is finer and the second won't last the weekend) and know that I will be adding 2 more primaries so that each week I'll have 10 bottles ready to enjoy.

I used to brew 5 gal extract w/specialty grains back in the day. That meant long periods between brews and very little variety. Now I can store all my equipment in a single container, make a batch while attending to other highly important matters (like watching the Giants and Jets), and experiment without having to commit to brewing batches that would take me months to finish.

:salute:
Last edited by LI Mike D on 02 Nov 2016, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Update: Questions about Mash Efficiency and Corrections:

Here is my latest attempt at the Amarillo APA 1 gal brew:

[center]BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3T RECIPE REPORT[/center]
[center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center]
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]Amarillo APA - Batch 2[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Mike
Style: APA
Source Recipe Link:
ABV: 5.6% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.058
IBU's (Tinseth): 30.8
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.53
Colour: 16.3 EBC = 8.3 SRM

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 85.3 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 76.9 %

Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 67 C = 152.6 F
Boil: 90 min
Ferment: 14 days at 20 C = 68 F

Volumes & Gravities
(Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)
The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Water Needed (TWN): 8.54 L = 2.26 G
Volume into Boil (VIB): 7.93 L = 2.09 G @ 1.032
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 4.22 L = 1.11 G @ 1.058
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 3.8 L = 1 G @ 1.058
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 3.66 L = 0.97 G @ 1.015 assuming apparent attenuation of 75 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)

76.8% Pale Ale Malt (3.6 EBC = 1.8 SRM) 744 grams = 1.64 pounds
15.4% Avanggard Munich (30 EBC = 15.2 SRM) 149 grams = 0.33 pounds
7.8% Bries Victory (65.2 EBC = 33.1 SRM) 75 grams = 0.17 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

19.5 IBU US Amarillo Pellets (8.9%AA) 3.9 grams = 0.138 ounces at 60 mins
8.6 IBU US Amarillo Pellets (8.9%AA) 3.5 grams = 0.122 ounces at 15 mins
2.7 IBU US Amarillo Pellets (8.9%AA) 2.7 grams = 0.096 ounces at 5 mins
(Dry Hopped)

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash): Saccharifiaction for 90 mins at 67 C = 152.6 F

Strike Water Needed (SWN): 8.71 L = 2.3 G 69.6 C = 157.2 F

Miscellaneous Ingredients

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Hopsock Used: Y
Whirlpool: 0 mins after boil end.
Chilling Method: Wort Chiller (Employed 0 mins after boil end.)

Fermentation & Conditioning

Fermentation: Safale US 05 for 14 days at 20 C = 68 F

Secondary Used: Y
Crash-Chilled: y
Filtered: Y

Condition for 14 days.

Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer
Last edited by LI Mike D on 07 Nov 2016, 00:42, edited 2 times in total.

Post #5 made 7 years ago
My efficiency is was off, and my question is should I add some boiled and cooled off DME to fix this recipe. My gravity is measured using a brix refractometer and not a hydrometer.

Type/EST/ACT
EIB/85.3/62.1
EAW/85.3/70.5
EIF/76.9/63.1
GIB/1.032/1.024
GAW/1.058/1.042

My prime suspect is my measured water volume, somehow I had more water after the mash than with what I started. My TWN (8.54l) was measured using a restaurant quality container. To my eye, when I pulled the stain bag, it was at the same mark on the kettle. My measuring stick was higher. I am in the process of confirming my kettle volume for subsequent brews. Another factor is that my mashed temp dipped to 146F near the end but that concerned me less that the water and I have a plan to better monitor my oven temp going forward.

Presuming I correct my process to have accurate water volume measurements and hold mash temp, should I add some DME to this beer to fix the low sugar amount. Can I measure this using the BIABcus?

If not, how much DME would you recommend. I presume I can boil a liter of water, add the DME and then cool and add to the primary.

My gravity is measured using a brix refractometer and not a hydrometer if that makes any difference

thanks

Post #6 made 7 years ago
185 grams of DME per your posted file, entered into Section N would get it to a 1.058. Your IBU's are probably higher than expected now, but I can't tell, probably due to the % signs, I can't fix that, to get a proper response in Section O.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 7 years ago
I think I got it
I want to raise 4 liters by 16 pts
DME will has about (1.046) 46 pts per gal per pound = .34 lbs = 154 grams of DME

for the 1/2 liter of water 58 pts = 1.2 lb per gal or 544 g x .132 (1/2 liter) = 71

= 225g boiled in 1/2 liter

Post #10 made 7 years ago
Mad Scientist, thank you for pointing me in the right direction in BIABacus and how to use section O for this solution.

I'm coming up with 260g as well. Considerably much easier than the math gymnastics I was doing. I presume the difference has to do with some assumptions about DME.

Lets see. I will take another OG reading after pitching but will consider some fermentation has already started The good part is that BIABacus was able to flag shortcomings in my process and then offer solutions.

brix 13.4 = 1.054 (makes sense since fermentation was under way ) Thanks :salute:

Post #11 made 7 years ago
Thank you mass scientist. I bottled today, full 10 bottles plus some flat beer for the cook. final gravity was 1.012 with an ABV of 5.4, close enough for me. No obvious off flavors and nice light amber color. Looking forward to opening bottle. Brewing an American Smoked Stout today

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 42 guests