Hi there!

Post #8851 made 1 week ago
Hey hey,
Just started on my adventures in the wonderful (and addictive!) world of brewing!!
Completed the Coopers Larger that came with the kit to mixed results (too hot I think), and have just bottled an IPA :pray: using a can with some hop additions, now looking forward to upgrading to some all grain BIAB using the good ol' 19L Big W stock pot!!!

I'm keen to try and recreate a Leffe Blonde, but will most likely start with something a little easier like an NEIPA!!!!

I'm located in the Blue Mountains of NSW, so if anyone else is from around these parts, I'd love to get in touch to discuss brews!!!

Cheers,
Ravian
:drink:
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Australia

Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8852 made 1 week ago
Hi all, Jamie from Corvallis Oregon in the US. Did my first brew in '82, went to a brewing convention in Cleveland Ohio and my picture landed in Zymergy magazine! I started out with extract, hated the taste and jumped into all grain, but it took so long! Then recently I learned about BIAB, have done three batches so far and love it! On my last batch I also gave no chill a try and it turned out great. Love you guys for making brewing so much easier and enjoyable. :thumbs:
    • FWK Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8853 made 6 days ago
Welcome, moorejl57m, HAP-BR3W and Naivar. You have the far reaches of the globe covered!
BIAB brewing is easier and enjoyable and simple. I get lots of advertisements for shiny equipment and I shake my head as I ask, "Why would I want that?"

Ravian - If you bottle instead of kegging, a NEIPA presents a challenge. I make one that tasted good enough, but one minute after pouring from the bottle it always turned a sad gray color. I don't mean to say that you shouldn't try, but let me know it your bottles escape from this problem.

HAP-BR3W - plan out all the steps before you jump into your brew day and it will go smoothly. Keep the kids away from the grains - they will eat enough to throw your weights off. :whistle:

Ask questions if you have them - before and after, as well. Somebody will get back to you with an answer. Maybe not during your brew day, but soon. Try the BIABacus, it works. (see Scott's post on this page)

Post #8854 made 6 days ago
ShorePoints wrote:
6 days ago
Welcome, moorejl57m, HAP-BR3W and Naivar. You have the far reaches of the globe covered!
BIAB brewing is easier and enjoyable and simple. I get lots of advertisements for shiny equipment and I shake my head as I ask, "Why would I want that?"

Ravian - If you bottle instead of kegging, a NEIPA presents a challenge. I make one that tasted good enough, but one minute after pouring from the bottle it always turned a sad gray color. I don't mean to say that you shouldn't try, but let me know it your bottles escape from this problem.

HAP-BR3W - plan out all the steps before you jump into your brew day and it will go smoothly. Keep the kids away from the grains - they will eat enough to throw your weights off. :whistle:

Ask questions if you have them - before and after, as well. Somebody will get back to you with an answer. Maybe not during your brew day, but soon. Try the BIABacus, it works. (see Scott's post on this page)
:thumbs: Ha, that is important, they will definitely make a dent, and what they don't eat they will throw around.
Thanks for the tip.

Post #8855 made 2 days ago
Hello and happy brewing from South Florida, USA.

I have been brewing for more than 25 years ... all kinds of equipment and techniques. I started years ago with extract brewing -- moving after a few years to all grain -- fly sparging in a 5 gallon cooler for the mash. After a few years, moved to 10 gallon batches and then built an all stainless 15 gallon recirculating mash system with all kinds of pumps, bells and whistles.
I have recently sold all my "big" batch equipment and moved down again to 5 gallon batches trying first a "Grainfather", which I kinda liked and didn't like at the same time. I since bought another SSBrewtech Brew kettle and was starting to build up again :P
Anyhow, in the process, I stumbled across this "BIAB" thing and decided I wanted to try it. Got a bag, and I have tried a couple batches ... efficiency has been a little disappointing, but in the process of tracking down the likely reasons, I stumbled across this site ... and that it..
So, yeah, I have made some of the mistakes -- but my biggest I think was doing some high gravity beers without extra grain to compensate for no sparge. Other than that, I think this BIAB thing is pretty nice -- easy clean up, and really back to the simple mashing in a cooler -- no recirc pump and temperature adjustments with a good cooler.
I like to help others -- and I don't mind asking questions when I got an idea ...
Hi all!

David
    • MVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8856 made 2 days ago
Hey Party People,

Tom from Westchester NY, happened upon this forum after endless searching for more reliable info on BIAB. Like a few others, why would I shell out the dough on all that stainless steel equipment when I got a kettle and a few net bags, simplicity is key! Love that I can find a like minded community where an amateur brewer like myself can really get some good takeaway lessons for future brews. Only have done a few batches so far (6) and planning on my first all grain in the very near future, thinking a locally sourced MO-like grain/ Cascade SMaSH just to get to know the ingredients a lil better. Would love to get to brew more but I'm studying medicine which is not only time consuming but not the best on student loans, but that's ok! I'll always find some time to get a brewday in there for the love of beer!
    • Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8857 made 5 hours ago
Greetings, David (EQArtimus) and Tom (LilPuddin914).
Simplicity reigns - you can mash in the kettle, pull the bag and drain it to the same kettle, then boil away. After that, one (or two) fermenting vessels and packaging are all you need for containers.

David, you can also use Section W of the BIABacus (use the search icon in the upper right for 1869) for bigger beers and do a sparge (~2L) if you wish. It works for me up to 1.070 OG wort. You do not have to use a finer crush.

Tom - I know where the 914 in your name comes from as I used to live in Putnam County, and worked in Westchester, NY. You know what they say, "If you want something done, give it to a busy person." I don't know how you can fit brewing into your day, but the rewards are great. Go for it. :thumbs:

Post #8858 made 4 hours ago
EQArtimus wrote:
2 days ago
"high gravity beers without extra grain to compensate for no sparge. Other than that, I think this BIAB thing is pretty nice..."
Hey David,

I have a couple ideas that I want to toss out, in addition to ShorePoints' thoughts.

We should confirm what you are using to track your brew day, and that you are using our free BIABacus file. Certainly you do not have to, but it works great and most of us use it religiously every time we brew. ShorePoints had some advice for you, but his advice makes the assumption you are using our BIABacus file... I do not see that you confirmed that you use BIABacus or something else...

Second thought, most of us here would consider BIAB to be a "continuous sparge", rather than "no sparge"... It is all about Grain contact time with heated water. Conventional 3V brewing uses a mash with less water and then a sparge with added water to rinse grain. Traditional BIAB has full contact time with all of the grain and all of the water, not adding sparge water later to rinse the grain, as it is not needed when you have continuous contact with all the water & grain simultaneously. It should be more efficient to use BIAB if running a 90-minute mash (mash and continuous sparge), than batch sparging in particular.

When I brew, using propane and a brew kettle outside, after turning off heat and adding grains, I mix the grains thoroughly using a potato masher and sometimes spoon, put lid on and cover with blankets and sleeping bag. Hold heat for 45 minutes the pull insulation off, check heat - normally have dropped a couple degrees so slightly pull bag, heat for a couple or three minutes - turn off heat, stir again, check temperature, cover again and let sit for another 45 minute time.

There are people that speed their brew day up and cut the mash time back hugely, and it certainly produces beer, probably good beer, but they will pay the price in lost efficiency (and have to add more grain, etc.) because of less grain contact time with heated water. I am more of a traditionalist...

Let us know how it goes... And good luck! :luck:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 22 guests