La Muerta Imperial Stout clone

Post #1 made 3 years ago
I'm attempting my first brew and I've chosen an Imperial Stout as this is one of my favourite styles and the recipe I'm following looks fairly simple. I've based my biabacus on the below recipe and attempted to scale it down to fit my 33l kettle. This is my first attempt at using the spreadsheet and while I think I'm getting the hang of it, it would be good to get some feedback to let me know if I'm doing things correctly. Thanks!

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe ... brewing-co

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Style: Specialty Beer (23A)
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 41.7 SRM
Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
Bitterness: 55.6 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.102 (24.3° P)
Mash Profile: BIAB, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.022 SG (5.6° P)
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 10.7%
Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
11 lbs 8.00 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
4 lbs 8.00 oz Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 6.00 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 6.00oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain
14.00 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain
12.80 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
0.92 oz Summit [17.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops
1.0 pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: La Muerta Imperial Stout clone

Post #2 made 3 years ago
BIABacus PR1.3U - Imperial Stout - La Muerta clone - Batch A0 (Updated).xlsx
@alanwbrown There are a couple issues with the recipe as you've entered it. The first being the size of your kettle, I may be wrong but I doubt it has the same dimensions for height and diameter. BIABacus is going to use these numbers to, among other things, help you determine if your desired grain bill will fit into the pot without spilling over. The 2nd issue is the empty cell in section D labeled VAW. The Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW) refers to the amount of wort remaining post boil after it has been cooled down. This is another key figure BIABacus uses to help modify recipes to fit your individual equipment profile. Realize though that is also going to be dependent on various factors such as boil off rate (can be adjusted in section X), atmospherics, grain absorption etc. We don't often find this information in recipes shared around the web as most are only going to tell you what volumes they aimed to have in the fermenter. I point all this out to say that you really want to start keeping a log of all the volumes you see noted in section K so that you can fine tune everything by recipe. These corrections can be made in section L. You can see in section K that BIABacus gives you an estimation of 4.01g (15.17L). If you plug that info into the empty cell in section D you can see that it will now give you the recipes ABV as well as populate the right hand column in section D for the amount of hops you will need to use to match the recipes Tinseth (IBUs). Moving further down we come to section E, where you've entered 152C (305.6F) as your desired mash temperature. I'm pretty sure you wanted this to be 152F and the second tab labeled "Unit Conversion" helps those of us who grew up on the Imperial system convert to units BIABacus expects. In this section you can also find conversions from SRM to EBC that you can enter in section C with your grain bill to get a color estimation. I hope this helps you get started and please report back if you have more questions. In the meantime I also recommend reading The Clear Brewing Terminology Topic here: viewtopic.php?f=156&t=2685 to get more familiar with terms you will see used both in BIABacus and around the site. I have attached an updated version of your recipe file to this reply. It still needs the correct dimensions entered to be sure it will fit your kettle. Keep in mind that when you do this it is going to change the VAW and you will need to update that number before proceeding. Lastly, I'll point out that for water you will want to use the amount labeled Total Water Needed (TWN). This was confusing to me in the beginning as it also gives you your Strike Water Needed calculation as well. This is the volume that will be present once its heated to the appropriate temperature.

Cheers,
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Am33106 on 20 Mar 2021, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 14 guests