Batch priming

Post #1 made 4 years ago
Happy Monday all! Question , looked up and found nothing in the search. I of course bottle my beer and have always had a few underlying problems but this one Im trying to figure out first. Had to head out of town to see a sick uncle so I put my fermenter in my spare fridge. It was at my expected og. Was just gone for 2 days, THEN work happened, left in there for a week and I am now getting a chance to bottle. When cold crashing some CO2 is absorbed back into the wort. Knowing I don't want to mess up my recipe, ie change fermenting temp, the sugar amt in Sect Q will be way too much and lead to bottle bombs. Also , it has usually lead to under carbonated bottles. Any suggestions. :think: :think:
j
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Re: Batch priming

Post #2 made 4 years ago
Hey @jhough ,

Good question! I can take a stab at it and give you my thoughts, as a person that always cold crashes...but kegs. (Manually add sugar to bottles, small amount of bottling that I do).

At what temperature do you cold crash? I cold crash at 32 deg F / 0 deg C. Most of the sugar you added for bottling should still be in the wort, shouldn’t it? I would think so. It’s possible some may have been chowed by really cold capable yeast and turned into alcohol, but most sugar should still be there. I think you should be okay to go ahead and bottle unless I am missing something here, or there is something I do not understand.

Let us know what you do and what happens. Should be instructive for a lot of us.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 4 years ago
Scott , thanks for the reply. Cold CRASHED at 42f/5.6c . When bulk priming for bottles you have more dissolved CO2 in the wort after cold crashing than at fermenting temp..
When changing the temp to fermenting temp [ for sect Q packaging] the amount of sugar needed decreases by 1oz/2.8g . but, using the priming calculator from Brewers Friend and KOTMF show a larger offset of 2oz/5.6g . I don't severely cold crash like this batch [1 week due to life] so I did some research on it . Which is how I found the difference . Not sure if we should have a packaging temp in sect H to correlate to sect Q .
j

Post #4 made 3 years ago
welp, put 3 btls in the fridge and cracked open today...3 weeks since bottling and flat as heck and sweet..
Ill wait another week..... Then Ill think about wasting caps and adding yeast to each btl like Rick did way back when.

Post #5 made 3 years ago
Hello @jhough

I am again going slightly into uncharted waters for me...

If some live yeast remains in the bottles, and you should, likely you could add 1/8 tsp of sugar to each bottle and then cap it, keep at active fermentation temperature to get proper CO2. That’s what I would do. This is what I do with the 12 oz / 330ml bottles that I bottle condition. And only if that doesn’t work, do the wort and yeast thing.

But like you already alluded to, if it has not started in 3 weeks, don’t think it will.

You’ve got my curiosity going here... Please make sure to let us know what happened... 😊
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 24 guests