Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8801 made 4 years ago
Hello @menocchio and @Evan and welcome to the forum!

Evan - I brew lots of Pilsners; got a Czech Pilsner on tap now and a German Pils in the fermenter, and a Munich Helles (similar style) also on tap and almost all gone.

And yes, our BIABacus tool is a super good help when brewing. You will want to review the CBT - Clear Brewing Terminology section to get explanation of terms,

Let us know if there are any questions.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8803 made 4 years ago
Hi. I live in Whitley Bay, northeast England.
Until a couple of months ago, I'd never brewed beer, not even from a kit.
But I love a decent pint and for a long time fancied the idea of brewing beer from scratch. The jargon always put me off, however, along with all the equipment I assumed I'd have to buy.
But then I came across one gallon batch brewing and BIAB on the internet, I grabbed the pot I use for making marmalade, picked up a gallon demijohn & was away.
I started off with a BIAB IPA one gallon kit I got through Ebay and was fairly happy with the results. (It tasted of beer, in spite of not having a head)
I've since gone on to brew a best bitter (currently bottle conditioning) and I've got a beer fermenting I brewed using a Graham Wheeler recipe of a beer first drunk as an underage 17 year old in Stourbridge. (https://bathams.co.uk/ - made me who I am today!)
While I still want to continue using my 10lt pot, to experiment and brew one off beers - barley wine, porters etc. I've now got the bug & scaled up, converting a 30lt tea urn into a boiler and getting hold of a corny keg, in order to have beer for the short summers we get up here.
I've registered on this site, because I want to have a better idea of how to brew consistent good quality beer & also pick up tips from people who actually know what they're talking about.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8804 made 4 years ago
Hello @Asdam and @Jonnybee - welcome to the site!

Assam - if you use the free BIABacus tool it will make all those estimates for you.

Both of you should read up on the section for beginners. In addition the terminology page is super helpful. There has been lots of excellent advice given in response to questions. The site is a great resource.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Post #8805 made 4 years ago
Hi All

Located in Southern England been brewing since 2006 on a 3v setup self built. Moved over to a Braumeister 50Lt early version in 2015. Fed up of limitations of the Braumeister controller limitations, and not wanting to lash out a huge sum on upgrading. I builtmy own brew controller using an esp8266processor and Brewmaniac software from Git Hub which gives me recipe import and wifi capability. Fortunately my brewing chum is a computer programmer, so he sorted the software side out. Whilst I built the physical side. It all works quite well.

However I've been using Beersmith as my recipe software and am not reaching my brewing targets it suggests. I do full volume brewing with no sparge and it's only when I started doing this that I've hit problems. So I'm presuming Beersmith is struggling with this, hence now looking at BIABabus.

Cheers
Phil
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8806 made 4 years ago
Hey all

I'm a kiwi living in Auckland, NZ, and have just started down the road of brewing (only 5 in so far), and quickly coming to the realisation that the 23L kits make far too much in one hit for experimentation, especially when the wife isn't a fan of beer.

Looking to switch to BIAB doing small batches, then maybe replicate a larger batch when it passes the other halfs seal of approval.
Previously put off by the amount of gear required for AG, but this approach looks perfect for me.

Cheers
Isaac

Post #8807 made 4 years ago
Hello @Flying Goose and @isaaca , and welcome to the forum.

Phil - I think the BIABacus file is Great! Highly recommend it to both of you. But make sure to review the terminology section too (same beginner section area) as it will help explain a bunch of terms and help you understand the language more.

No problem scaling down a beer, Isaac. My wife is not a big beer fan either, so good luck convincing her to take more than a sip here or there. But that’s okay too. :drink:

There is a heap of excellent info on the site, if you read through and discover it. Let us know if you have any questions.
Last edited by Scott on 18 Apr 2020, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8812 made 4 years ago
Hello all,

I'm a young Canadian expat living in Finland. I had done a few all-grain brews with a group of friends from uni several years ago with limited success. I suspect one of our problems was that we let the fermentation temperature get way out of whack. After uni we inevitably parted ways and I have been wanting to get back in the game ever since.

Finally got around to it. I brewed my first small batch BIAB last weekend and the beer has been in primary for 6 days now. Gravity is still high so I suspect it's going to need a few days more before I rack it to secondary for dry hopping. It's meant to be a SMaSH IPA (Golden Promise + Mosaic). I found the recipe online and tried scaling it with different software getting different numbers everywhere and becoming more and more confused in the process. I did not hit my OG target (came in too low and didn't think of measuring pre-boil, didn't want to extend the boil and mess with the hops). Made a few other mistakes as well but I tasted the beer today and it came out crystal clear and tasted much better than anticipated so I think there is hope for it. I only found this forum and the BIABacus and read all about recipe integrity etc. after I had tried the recipe. I have to say that you guys have put an amazing amount of work into it. Hoping to do all my future brews with the BIABacus as it took me less time to figure it out than it did to understand any of the other software (I still don't get how to set proper mash settings in BrewTarget and documentation is sparse). Having quickly punched my numbers in I think I understand what I need to do to hit the OG next time. Hopeful anyways. Looks like you have a nice community and I am looking forward to learning a lot from all the experienced people here. 😊

Oh and I teach middle school chemistry for a living so this brewing hobby is really exciting to me - it's one big tasty chemistry experiment 🧪😄
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Canada

Post #8814 made 4 years ago
Hello from Exeter, Devon.

My girlfriend bought me a kit for Christmas from Home Brewtique which got me into it really quickly and now have a 4 or 5 successful brews under my belt. Although it’s been a fantastic starting point, I’d like to learn to brew using other recipes so I can start to play around with different ingredients and on a slightly larger scale.

I’ve browsed through BIABrewer and I’m looking forward to putting this wealth of information into use. An interesting topic that I’m keen to explore are a few posts regarding the BrewDog recipe PDF. Having already scratched my head thinking about it a few weeks ago I’d like to see if I can scale down and brew with it using the BIABacus.

Cheers
George
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8819 made 4 years ago
Hi Everyone!

I am from the US and have brewed a couple of Northern Brewer kits. I have been looking to try all grain brewing and it seems that BIAB would be the most cost-effective way to try it out without getting a whole bunch of new equipment. I am looking to make a very simple American lager for the first trial and see how it turns out. I am currently quarantined at home so I have spent the past couple of weeks reading about different brewing methods and styles. Excited to try out BIAB!!
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8822 made 4 years ago
Hi All

My background: I've brewed a couple of Wilko (store in UK) kits, that turned out OK. I've been on a 1 day course at the London Beer Lab in Brixton which was ace, and I'd highly recommend it. Whilst there we followed the BIAB method, and I would like to try this at home.

Currently the UK is still under lockdown, so getting equipment and supplies is quite a slow process. But I now have a large enough pot, a homemade wort chiller (made from copper pipe) and a drawstring bag, so I’m wondering what to brew first (if I can get malt/yeast delivered...).

I have Greg Hughes' book (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Brew-Beer ... b_image_bk) which contains some nice looking recipes, but it only mentions BIAB once, fleetingly. After having a fairly short google around BIAB, this website and the BIABacus spreadsheet seems to come highly recommended, and so I'm hoping to be able to tweak some of GH's recipes for this method.

Cheers

Martin
    • Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8825 made 4 years ago
Hey @mk1 , a smidge bit more info to add to jhough’s info. You do need to input the info for your system at the start of the info. This includes size of your brew kettle, etc. so if using someone else’%s BIABacus file you will replace their system’s info with yours.

Many beer recipes found online, even many that come from nice looking books, are missing information essential to properly copy them. Parts become a guess. If interested about this, search Recipe Integrity. https://www.biabrewer.info/search.php?s ... +integrity @PistolPatch has written extensively about this topic, and has some fascinating information. Even if elements are missing to properly copy a recipe, you can input what you know in the BIABacus file, but you will have to make some educated guesses and run with it... Better yet, start with a high integrity recipe as @jhough suggests.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 55 guests