Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8751 made 4 years ago
Howdy Everyone. My name's Matt and I live in Yorkshire in the UK. Fairly new to brewing...in fact I did my first BIAB attempt yesterday using a Northern Brewer Dead Ringer IPA BIAB kit and a new shiny Klarstein Maischfest boiler that I bought a few weeks ago. Didn't go to badly but let's see how it drinks :)

I travel a fair bit with work so bring hauls of US craft beer back to the UK on a regular basis.......my brewing aims are to nail a coconut imperial stout and a mango IPA.

Cheers,

Matt
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8753 made 4 years ago
Hi, I'm Benja, I live in Queensland, Australia. I've been brewing for years, but have never made the jump to all grain.
I recently acquired an urn, so am looking to do my first all grain brew in a bag. Can't wait to use the BIABacus tool to formulate my first brew, I've got a few things in mind but it'll depend on what of my current beers I run out of first!
Looking forward to your assistance, and some delicious beers too.

Cheers
    • FWK Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #8755 made 4 years ago
Hi

Sparkie here from sunny Northern Ireland, I’m quite new to brewing I’ve only done 3 brews so far all extract kits. 1st was an Amber Ale and was a disaster, 2nd a Tequila flavoured beer turned out ok but very sweet and not to my taste so hoping for 3rd time lucky (Coopers European Lager still in the FV). I’ve been considering All Grain for a while and due to space I’m thinking BIAB or Single Vessel May suit the best. Can’t wait to get started and get some greats tips and tricks from all you master brewers. 🍻
    • Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8756 made 4 years ago
Hey all,
Really excited to be on board: I'm from Wales, stumbled across the site as I kept hearing mention of a BIABacus, and guessed I needed to register as to get access.
I'm loving the site, although unsure where to find good recipes.
I've brewed fruit wines in the past, but no beer. However am excited to get stuck in.
My job is in philosophy, (yes, people will actually pay you to do that: Yes, not much)
Thanks guys, and looking forward to get stuck in.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Wales

Post #8757 made 4 years ago
Hey everyone

I am Mark, just getting into BIAB after initially learning on extract.

1. Where are you from? - Los Angeles, CA
2. How did you stumble across the site? - I can't remember but on another forum
3. What you think of it so far? - looks good!
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? - yes, for about a year and a few months - extract so far.
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? - yeah I work kind of a lot haha I work in software development
    • SVA Brewer From United States of America

Post #8758 made 4 years ago
Hello, Sparkle from Northern Ireland.
It wasn't sunny during the week I visited Belfast. Was there a break in the clouds? Your experience is not uncommon - a few kits with some ups and downs while learning a process. You have already learned about waiting for a long time to taste the results of a brew day. Stepping in to All-Grain with BIAB is a great way to go. Read a lot of topics on this forum and ask questions. Get the right bag and scale your recipe to your kit using the BIABacus and post your file for comments. You will get beer eventually.

Hello, johnthebap from Wales.
You have successfully registered and now can get the BIABacus spreadsheet at http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869 Always save files with the .xls extension at the end of your filename, it will save you from future problems. Do give it some time to figure it out, ask questions if you want help. I find it useful for scaling recipes from weights of grain given for brewing vastly different sizes and also when all I have is percentages of grains in a recipe. There are a limited number of recipes on this site at viewforum.php?f=7 compared to other sources. I don't have an explanation for the small number other than people here are maybe more process-oriented and can adapt recipes from anywhere else to BIAB. :scratch: The power to adapt almost anything might lessen the need to share a specific recipe. Is that enough of a philosophical question? :think:

Hello, Mark from Los Angeles, USA.
Most of us moved to All-Grain after some extract brews. There is something about starting from crushed grain rather than dry powder or 40Weight syrup that feels better. Tastes better, too. :drink: Just plot out your brew day steps and do things at the proper times and you will be fine. There will be times without action and there will be very busy times, too. Check out viewforum.php?f=145 for terminology that makes things clear.
    • BME Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8759 made 4 years ago
Hey team,
I'm from New Zealand and have been brewing extract batches for about 3 years or so and im having a crack at my 2nd all grain batch this weekend!

i came across this website whilst Searching for BIAB calculators to scale down recipes etc...
im interested in BIABacus as i only have a 15L and a 20L pot at present.

happy brewing team!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From New Zealand

Post #8761 made 4 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:
5 years ago
@pozolero: Welcome aboard to you too pozo. One of my sisters lived in Mexico for about 5 years. Between Liam above, yourself and me, it's a small world! Sorry it's taken so long for you to find the site. It was founded by the pioneers so you're in good hands here. The site is a bit messy but it's being worked on so just ask any questions if you can't find the info you're looking for.

:peace:
PP
Thank you for your kindly repply. I will ask for help for sure. Best regards!!!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Mexico

Post #8762 made 4 years ago
Hi there,

I am Mark, have brewed with a 3 vessel system for a while but like the simplicity of BIAB...and only having one pot to clean!

1. Where are you from? - Surrey in the UK
2. How did you stumble across the site? - Just via a Google search.
3. What you think of it so far? - Loads of great information here. Looking forward to reading through it all.
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? - I've brewed for a while. I use a 3 pot system at the minute.
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? - I work with bicycles. That's also my other hobby apart from the beer making :)

Post #8766 made 4 years ago
Hello All,

Extract and FWK brewer here from Canberra, Australia. Have made around 10 batches from various extract kits and fresh wort kits over the past year and a half. Jumped straight into kegging and have hosted many a good BBQ with mates that have been amazed at the beer quality.

Looking to increase my variety of brews. Mate of mine has an all grain setup which I've helped brew on a few times. I'm limited in budget and time at the moment so the BIAB method appeals to me.

Have a wheat beer recipe from John Palmer's How to Brew book which I'd like to attempt. According to his book the palmer method can be used with a partial mash (Wort A partial mash, Wort B extract) to make 21L batches. Only thing holding me back at the moment is the water calculations for Wort A. Hoping to look at the calculator to see how I progress from here.

Cheers,
    • FWK Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Post #8767 made 4 years ago
Welcome to the forum @Cam.

You came to the right place. You should see some links to the BIABacus file a few posts up, along with one to the Clear Brewing Terminology page as well.

I have scaled many a brew from the BCS book and you will have no problem doing this as well. Let us know if anything is unclear or you have questions.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Re: My first Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8768 made 4 years ago
Hi All:
My name is Bob Pearce and I’m from a small one store community here in Huron Park, Ontario, Canada. In the past (years ago) I brewed a few batches of beer using a kit. Only one turned out drinkable so I chock it up to not knowing what I was doing.
I’m currently getting ready to do the biab method to save money on my beer buying (in Ontario it cost $35.00 for 24 bottles of the cheaper beer.) I’m retired so the brewing hobby will help me fill my days.
Great to be here....! :thumbs:
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Afghanistan

Post #8769 made 4 years ago
A warm welcome to the forum, Bob.
I found Huron Park centrally isolated midway between Detroit & Toronto. No wonder beer costs a lot.
BIAB can produce 5 gallons (19.8 L) at less than $2 USD per 12 oz (350 mL) bottle, including shipping of raw materials, and it is far better than the cheap stuff you can buy. But you have to love the work, too. With the BIABacus you can do partial or all grain. Read lots and ask questions when you have any. One of us will do our best to answer.
Retirement is a great time to brew beer. Plan your brew day, decide whether to rack to a secondary fermenter days later, package when the yeast has cleaned up and then wait for beer. Repeat.
A really long time ago my family vacationed near Burk’s Falls. It was so beautiful that I remember it still.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8770 made 4 years ago
Hello everyone. My name is Alex and I am from Texas. I found this site in a google search after a friend told me about BIAB. I recently started brewing and only have one personal brew under my belt with an extract kit. I have helped a friend with various batches and we wanted to go all grain soon. I even got another friend to start brewing and helped him with his first batch doing an all grain recipe on his new equipment he got a very good deal on. I am trying to go all grain as well and was intrigued by BIAB. I am very grateful I found this site and the page with the information on making my own brew bag. I am in the process of making my brew bag and making the jump to all grain. The community here is very knowledgeable and helpful and I look forward to learning from this community and sharing with others.
    • MVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8771 made 4 years ago
1. Where are you from?
Arizona, USA

2. How did you stumble across the site?
Referred by a member of HBT

3. What you think of it so far?
Looking forward to diving into the information

4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
Brewed and fermented a handfull of different things. Now i am using a single vessel BIAB

5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household
I work in kitchens
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8772 made 4 years ago
Welcome to the forum, CxRxExAxM.

Kitchen experience will serve you well in brewing. After starting with good ingredients, it is all about time & temperature.
Please ask questions when you have them.

I just visited Arizona - Sedona, the Grand Canyon and Antelope Valley slot canyon near Page, then Flagstaff. All so beautiful.

Your evaporation rate during a 90 minute boil will need to be adjusted upward! Even in a white room with black curtains.

Read lots before ordering raw materials. :drink:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8773 made 4 years ago
Hello Everyone - I'm from Arundel Maine, USA. I found this site searching for BIAB information - specifically, brewing calculators. So far, I think this site is well thought out, and should provide all the information needed to be successful at BIAB. I've brewed 13 extract kits with specialty grains since starting in 2013. My latest brew was a Honey Kolsch using local raw honey added to the fermenting wort. I've progressed from stove top to camp grill, to a gas-fired Dark Star 2.0. My co-worker told me about BIAB so I'm getting ready to take brewing to the next level. I recently purchased a 10 gallon (38 L) kettle and am thinking that it may be too small (?) based on the reading I've done on this forum so far. Hopefully not. I work full time in a manufacturing plant. Thanks in advance for the information. I hope to contribute as well.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8774 made 4 years ago
Welcome aboard @fowlfeatherbrew :peace:

That's great you have done quite a few brews already and BIAB is little or no extra work to what you have been doing.

The 38 litre kettle will be fine. We've developed a spreadsheeet (the BIABacus) that can calculate a whole variety of situations including when your kettle might be a tad too small. The spreadsheet at first glance looks very daunting but if you sit back with a beer, you'll find it pretty easy as most sections don't require any input.

Your kettle size is actually a fairly good size. You'll just have to add some water in after mashing and, on bigger brews, during the boil as well. This just means that you'll be washing the grains with a bit less water. The BIABacus automatically adjusts the grain and hop bill to compensate for this. In your case, on a typical brew, this adjustment isn't going to be a big deal.

What I'd suggest is that for your first brew, pick a recipe and post it up here. We'll then check the recipe to make sure it is a quality one and put it into the BIABacus for you. Then you'll know how much malt and hops you'll need as well as how much water and when to add it. This makes things super easy.

Will look forward to your first brew :salute:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8775 made 4 years ago
Hello!

I am a 31 year old male from Denmark, who have been brewing 3 batches, the first was semi-grain and the next two were BIAB. I am so happy I found this site, it seems like a great resource. Much of the info I have already gathered elsewhere, but there is some more in-depth material regarding BIAB in here, and I am very much looking forward to exploring it. There also seems to be some nice people on this site.

Like I said, I started extract brewing plus steeped specialty grains for the first batch. I quickly stumbled upon BIAB and I love it - simple, hassle-free, powerful. I have a gas burner and a 50 L kettle and am still in the process of learning my equipment and perfecting my method. The two BIAB batches I have done, I seem to have the same off-flavour aftertaste, that I cannot quite pinpoint. To me the most plausible explanation is not so much the BIAB method, as I have a feeling it's a yeasty aftertaste. Additionally I have had a low conversion efficiency of about 50% for both BIAB batches, so I have a lot of changes I want to try. My immediate goals are to get some batches under my belt, increase my efficiency somewhat and eliminate that off-flavour I am finding.

In my work life I work as a pharmacist in a local pharmacy, which seems to me to be a pretty good background to have as a homebrewer. In fact, I have been told that pharmacists used to be commercial brewers.

KR, Michael
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Denmark

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 53 guests