Year old Yeast

Post #1 made 4 years ago
I went to my LHBS and picked up the last package of Yeast 3944 they had, got it home and found out it has a born by date of 8/1/2018. I entered the info in the homebrew dad yeast calculator and came up with these numbers.

Method of Aeration: Stir Plate
Starter Volume: .45 L
Dry Malt Extract: 45 grams
Inoculation Rate: 14
New Cells Created: 64
Total Cells: 70
Growth Factor: 9.9

2nd Starter Step
Method of Aeration: Stir Plate
Starter Volume: 2 L
Dry Malt Extract: 202 grams
Inoculation Rate: 35
New Cells Created: 283
Total Cells: 353
Growth Factor: 4.04

Is this going to work?

I tried to keep the growth factor below 10 as I read somewhere that is important.

Also, normally my schedule is to start the starter on Wednesday, put it in the refrigerator Friday, and brew on Saturday. I've never done a second starter before. What should my schedule be for this? Can I get this done by this coming Sunday?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Re: Year old Yeast

Post #2 made 4 years ago
Can you get replacement yeast elsewhere? This would be best.

It is possible but will take some time to get this yeast built up to where it should be. I would add a week and at least a second starter and brew it next weekend...

If you brew and pitch this weekend anyhow, realize fermentation will take a few days longer (maybe several days longer) so do not rush finishing the beer up. Extra week in fermenter is much better than having beer too high FG.

Let us know what you did and what the result is. :luck:
Last edited by Scott on 08 Aug 2019, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 4 years ago
There is only one store I can drive to to liquid yeast, and I think I got the last one they had.

I’ve been reading that yeast starters should finish in 24 hours so 24 hours after I started this one I was going to do the second step up to 2L, maybe go full until Sunday and don’t refrigerate.

Dunno if that’s the best plan.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 4 years ago
Nice to hear it worked out for you.

Probably would say, you can sometimes make year old yeast work...in a pinch, if cannot get new yeast. And yes with multiple step starters. But probably not the best practice if a homebrewer can get fresh yeast.

Good job! Thanks for letting us know. :thumbs:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Yeasts”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 21 guests