Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8726 made 4 years ago
Hi all,

I’m no good at these intros so I’ll do the suggestions !

1. Where are you from? Brisbane, Australia
2. How did you stumble across the site? Googling
3. What you think of it so far? So far, so good
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? Just a few fresh wort kits, researching all grain
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? Work in insurance

Thanks all

Post #8727 made 4 years ago
Hello, Beerbaron. Have a look around the forum and after that ask questions. Please read Clear Brewing Terminology http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685 so we can talk the same language and try out the BIABacus spreadsheet http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869.
The spreadsheet takes some time to master but it is worth it.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8729 made 4 years ago
Hi all,

My name is William and started brewing in the summer of 2018.
I started with some cans of extract, but this wasn't satisfying enough. I made a shopping list, bought my gear.
An automated 30 liter brewing system (Easybrew/Brewmonk/Ace/Klarstein) enabled me to start brewing with malts and hops.
I like it alot, but is has some disadvantages, there is a risk of burning on the bottom, the filterbed can clog up, and eventually starting to overflow or dry up on the bottom.
Of course all of these can be mitigated, but it is all about brewing 20-30 liter batches at a time. I wanted more!

So by more, i don't mean larger volumes, but I want to brew more often, smaller batches and experiment with recipes.
This means I had to buy additional gear, and this time it was cheap and easy... Brew in a bag it is!

Yesterday I had a very decent brewday, no stress and plenty of time to clean up or prepare the next steps.
The values were very much as expected. Using the spiral cooler of my Easybrew system the temperature dropped like a brick and ready for transfer to my fermentation vessel.
Maybe I turn my automated brewing system in a brew in a bag system, it can control temperature, use the pump to circulate wort and pump it to the fermentation vessel as well.
This means I have to look for a good size brew bag, and take measures to make sure the bottom of the bag does not get burned. I have an electric hoist in my garage, so lifting a full bag is nog problem, and I might be able to do additional sparging as well.

Well, time to think about my next brew.
I became a BIAB fan!

William
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Netherlands

Post #8730 made 4 years ago
Welcome to the forum, wdorrepaal / William. Thanks for the informative first post.
You started at a high level of automation and complexity. Now you can use BIAB to get a feel for what is controllable and what to just let happen and later incorporate that into your more automated brewing. A hybrid situation where you use BIAB with its bag in the automated system is an interesting possibility. To keep the bag from touching the hot parts you can either employ a spacer such as a false bottom or you can suspend the bag away from the hot parts when actively applying heat. I find that heating the kettle with the bag in place is only for short time periods and the bag can hang suspended from above as necessary. In a full-volume BIAB process there is no need to sparge, but you can use Section W of the BIABacus and sparge if you choose.
Let us know how you employ your kit. Brew on!

Post #8732 made 4 years ago
Hi there, new brewer here based in Oxford, UK. My wife bought me a Northern Brewer Kit recently but I'm already looking to diving straight into all grain with BIAB, 3 gallon batches would suit me best. I came across the site just from Googling brewing methods and BIAB looked like a great place to start.

I've been drinking 'good' beer for about five years. I'm originally from the UK but lived in Australia for about seven years and am lucky enough to have travelled a lot and tried many, many beers from around the world. I'm now back in the UK and exploring the local scene. I'm a very keen cook and kitchen experimenter of all sorts. I also make my own bacon, chorizo, pastrami, that sort of thing. I work as a physicist so I'm naturally very inquisitive and experimental; brewing seems like a natural progression to satisfy my taste buds and curiosity!

Look forward to learning from you all :)
    • Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8733 made 4 years ago
Welcome to the forum ComptonEffect. I think it's great to have another experimentalist on board (I'm a retired organic chemistry process research guy who also bakes bread). With your world of beer-tasting experience and kitchen skills you can soon make beers you like with BIAB. Start with good ingredients and keep good records and you will find that the variables involved (many!) provide ample challenges to you.
I get 5 gallons Volume Into Packaging (VIP) from a 10.15 gallon (US) kettle. If you want to make 3 gallon (Imperial?) batches, get the bigger kettle because you will have an easier time with it.
Keep us posted on progress and results, please.
Brew on. :drink:

Post #8737 made 4 years ago
Hello, Phil.
Brewing + retirement is a great combination. Your experience will help get to good beer sooner than others just starting out.

I have read that today’s malts are highly modified and that means that the step mashes of last century are no longer necessary.

Give your old bucket a good washing and then see if it passes a sniff test. It might be used to brew an old ale?

There is a section of this forum for you electric brewers using plastic. Use the search feature in th upper right.
Brew on!

Post #8738 made 4 years ago
Hi all!

I've been brewing on and off for a while starting on the classic Coopers starter kit and working my way up to All Grain BIAB when I came across this site the first time round. I think I registered at the time but have changed email address since then!

I've had a break from brewing for about three years because my work situation meant I wasn't getting a whole lot of free time but that changed recently so I've got a lot more free time (and money, as it happens) to put into my two hobbies, brewing beer and playing Airsoft.

My first batch of Citra SMaSH is almost ready to go in the keg and I'm very much looking forward to sampling it and getting the next batch on. I have to admit that my excitement to get going again meant that I ended forgetting the Irish Moss and ended up with a bit less going into the fermenter than I expected but I figure the first one is always like that!

I rediscovered this site just after and I'm all set up to take the second batch seriously (but not too seriously :) )

I regularly work nights from home (I'm an IT Consultant) and I think I just have to set up and overnight mash for a big dark beer when I'm on and call it 'Night Shift'! Any and all recipe suggestions welcome :thumbs:

Have a good weekend!!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8739 made 4 years ago
Hi everyone. I can’t believe how far homebrewing has come! I started brewing 30 years ago for about 4 years and then quit due to family responsibilities and time restraints. Just recently started full all-grain BIAB brewing and am really liking it. I just ordered a new 10 gallon kettle to add to my equipment. I’m in my mid 50’s and am currently a manufacturing engineer in a large defense machine shop in northwestern Wisconsin. I’m looking forward to being a part of the group! Brew on!!!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8740 made 4 years ago
Welcome, Big Fat Sack.

Nice first post :clap:

A 10 gallon kettle is good. Beware of the temptation to apply you work skills to your equipment - simple is good, too. Read up on kettle valves and then decide https://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.ph ... lve#p54429
and https://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.ph ... lve#p54530

If you haven't already, do read up on Clear Brewing Terminology http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685 so we can talk the same language and try out the BIABacus spreadsheet http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869.
The spreadsheet takes some time to master but it is worth it.

Post #8742 made 4 years ago
Hi all,

I'm from North Carolina in the USA.

I have been brewing for about a year. I started brewing using extract but kept looking at going all grain, however I wanted to keep things simple. That's when I "discovered" BIAB. I purchased a bag and a ratchet pulley system and just put my second BIAB in the fermenter. Still have things to learn in order to dial things in but I am liking the simplicity and flexibility of this method.

Terry
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8743 made 4 years ago
Welcome back and belated greetings to tacticalspud. I’m sorry that I skipped over your nice post :idiot:

I like your thinking about naming a batch “Night Shift.” I made an Old Ale that was bland at the end of fermentation, so I added some stone fruit and gave it some more time before bottling. Name? O.A.P. for Old Ale Plums. While it was plums that I thought would help, I went with the more concentrated version, Prunes. It fits with the “Old” part, but nobody wants to hear about prunes in a beer. I think OAP means something more about Old to many outside the U.S.

As for forgetting the Irish Moss, been there, done that. Bakers use a ‘mise en place’ technique that lines up ingredients in a way that assures that they get added as designed (and only once).

Ask questions and enjoy getting back into brewing. :drink:

Post #8744 made 4 years ago
Hello, tmac.

Asheville, North Carolina has attracted many breweries because the water there is so good. I will visit again next year. You are fortunate to have good starting material available, so you are on your way to making great beers.

What holds up your pulley system? I brew under a wooden deck and use that for a pulley and cleat. Maybe I’ll try a ratcheting pulley like yours...

BIAB works. You can count on it. Look back a few posts for links to Clear Brewing Terminology and the BIABacus.

Post #8745 made 4 years ago
Greetings one an all,

The name is Nick and I am from Kansas City, Missouri, USA. Just starting out brewing, extract and partial mash. All purchases kits from different sources. They have been ok so far but not as good as I think they could or should be. Will need to keep dialing in the system but I started looking into AG for greater flexibility in the ingredients and while looking into 3 vessel systems I found BIAB. The methodology looks very promising and I like the idea of keeping it simple. Not saying that I am not an equipment nut, because I am, but I think by keeping the system simple this will allow me to experiment with recipes (grist bills).

Just started to read through the forums and there is a ton of info here. I will be working with a LPG burner with high output regulator, a 8.5 gallon Kettle, immersion chiller PET fermenter bottles and making 5 gallon finished batches. Interested in also checking out the “no chill” methods as well. Also looking to purchase either a 15 or 20 gallon Kettle to make 10 gallon finished batches as well. One can’t have to many kettles, right?

Anyway, hope to learn a lot and be able to give back when I can.

‘May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong and may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead.’ - Irish Proverb
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests