Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8701 made 5 years ago
Greetings to djohnston97019 and Pomegranate.

djohnston97019 - Efficiency improves with experience and then it waivers due to those darn variables that are beyond control. Do not get too concerned with efficiency numbers as you cannot drink them. Focus on the beer and enjoy the learning process.

Pomegranate - A few posts earlier I mentioned electric BIAB links here https://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=24
Also read some advice on ball valve choice. You can use the search tool in the upper right to look for "ball valve" where you may decide to add one later. If you must transfer hot liquid, there is a correct type of tubing for that and it can be a siphon, rather than connected to a ball valve. As for chilling, you can use a no-chill cube or you can cover your 'kettle' with a sanitized cloth and let it cool to ambient temperature overnight and pitch yeast when the temperature is good to do so. Lots of choices. You can get to beer by whatever combination suits your conditions.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8702 made 5 years ago
Hi, I'm Jack aka CaisterMa. I live in New Jersey USA. I've been brewing for about 2 years now. I first discovered the process from a BYO article and started dig into it from all sources (podcast, forum, magazines... you name it). Glad to be part of this forum and I'm looking forward to all the knowledge I learn from here.
Hey what's up! My recommendation gear.
    • HME Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8704 made 5 years ago
Hi all,
I'm Eddy from Newcastle, UK (originally Prestatyn, Wales). I'd been told about this site a while ago and again this weekend just gone, especially the biabacus sheet so thought I'd come have a look.
I'm liking the look, had a read of the rules and they all make sense:)
I've been brewing for 8 years, started brewing wine as something to use up forage which was the original hobby. I'm up to 15-20 gallons of foraged wine per year now.
I started brewing beer a year or so after wine, started with Woodfordes Nog kit that leaked all over my cupboard. A year later I tried again, a DME recipe that went down a treat and have not looked back.
After a few DME batches, then some partial mash batches I moved to BIAB. I have a 15l pan, a brew bag and just go for 2 uk gallon (9l) batches.
I like to try putting some forage in the beer, now growing my own hops, as well as currants in the brew and this year I plan to make a gorse ale.
When I'm not brewing, I work one day a week as a pharmacist and 6 days a week as a dad.

Looking forward to getting stuck in here, cheers:)
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Wales

Post #8705 made 5 years ago
Welcome, Eddy from Newcastle.Thanks for the interesting mention of your foraging ingredients for both wine and beer.. No foraging from work as a pharmacist allowed. I am joking because I would so like to have access to all the things in the labs where I used to work... :whistle: ;)
The BIABacus can scale your recipes to fit your kit and you will find that it most useful. If you have questions along the way, ask and someone will get an answer to you.

Brewbie

Post #8708 made 5 years ago
Hi All,

Total brewbie here. Looking to get started with small 1 - 2 gallon all grain BIAB on basic equipment. I understand most of the brewing process (I think*) but am struggling with the complexity of the recipe scaling process. Definitely would welcome help in that area.

Thanks,
    • SVA Brewer From United States of America

Post #8709 made 5 years ago
Greetings, anthropas.

You can start with small batches as your goal but when you purchase a kettle you should consider larger volume rather than just-big-enough. That's especially true if you want to make higher gravity (OG>1.050) beers using All Grain.

As a beginner, please read Clear Brewing Terminology http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685 so we can talk the same language.

As for scaling, try the BIABacus spreadsheet http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869.
The spreadsheet takes some time to master but it is worth it.
Use it before you purchase your starting ingredients (grains and hops).
Sometimes the AA% value for hops is not immediately available from a supplier and those values slowly decline over time, but do the best you can. The unchanged recipe source values go on the left side, yours will be on the right.

Ask questions and you will get answers.
Last edited by ShorePoints on 02 Apr 2019, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8712 made 5 years ago
Hidee-Ho!

1. Hello from North Florida
2. I'm not exactly sure how I found the site... But I'm glad I did!
3. So far so good with the website. The designs a tad simple, but it doesn't get in the way.
4. I started doing collabs with friends so that I could learn some of the finer points of brewing, but I've been using BIAB since my first solo batch. It just makes sense to me. Currently waiting on my new fermentor with temp control to arrive in the mail... SUPER STOKED!
5. I work, I design, I taste lots of interesting and incredible beers, and I hope to someday own a brew-pub.

-Brent
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8713 made 5 years ago
Hi, everyone! :salute:

I'm a zero-time brewer (still waiting for my father to get better so we can start together) from way down in southern Brazil; finding out that a significant part of the brewing community makes a serious effort to make it more accessible has increased my motivation a whole lot!
So I'll stay here trying to learn all styles Belgian and German and a few more from assorted countries. :drink:

(btw, any IoT folks in the house making cool stuff with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi or anything similar?)

Post #8718 made 4 years ago
Hi All,
I am from Brisbane, Australia, and have been home brewing for a long time. I started with tins of malt extract and then moved on to All grain some years ago when I retired. I played with a number of rigs until I purchased a RoboBrew Gen 2 with pump and for a while I was happy but had several issues with the RoboBrew as I tried different brewing recipes. I happened across the Clawhammer web site about 12 months ago and saw thier method of BIAB, even though they use a basket, I liked the idea of going to 1 vessel. I ended up buying all the gear in bits and pieces from Cheeky Peak brewery in Echuca in Victoria, good quality gear and good service. I made my own controller and am very happy with the results and instead of a basket I use a bag. I recirculate with a pump and the RTD for temp control is fitted on the outlet of the pump on top of the lid of my kettle, I get very constant temp control during mash re-circulation. The BIAB method has reduced my brew day by a number of hours, my beers taste better as well.
I see there is a lot of content on this site and I am looking forward to going through it as time goes by. I would also be very interested in the other members ideas on squeezing the bag and sparging.

PaulBro
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #8720 made 4 years ago
Hello everyone, and sorry for taking so much time to register!

I'm Olivier aka Yak_NN, from Eastern France, although I live in Russia these days.
I've recently gotten interested into brewing beers by myself; of course, I plan to do my first brews with something simple, but later on, I'd like to do Belgian Trappist-style beers, and Russian Medovukha (that words actually covers several drinks, a liquor, a variant of mead, and something that's more or less honey beer, and that's what I want to do).

I've joined this forum to learn more about brewing, and will be happy to show the results!

Post #8721 made 4 years ago
Welcome to the forum grbrew. Please take a moment to post some more information about yourself and any brewing experience. You can ask questions and get answers especially for your situation if we know something about you.

PaulBro - Greetings to you over in Brisbane! Thanks for the informative post about your custom equipment and how well it works to brew beer. :clap:
As for " ideas on squeezing the bag and sparging." we could talk for hours. I think squeezing the bag at temperatures below mashout gets you more wort than otherwise and (unless you are using some kind of vice) you would not move any more tannins from the wet grains than have already been extracted in the rest of the mother liquor. Sparging is a unit of work that is not necessary when doing a full volume BIAB mash. However, one can brew a slightly larger batch by using section W of the BIABacus and sparging the pulled bag with <2L of mash T water. Efficiency is affected to a small bit, too. I confess to occasionally doing just that, even if it only adds one 12 oz (~350 ml) bottle at the end.

thijs1105 - Hello to you. Waiting for beer is the most difficult part of brewing. Read lots on this site and even on other sites. Ask questions and use what information makes sense to you.
I visited the Arendsnest a few years ago - beautiful copper fixtures, but the outdoor tables at the Brouerij with the windmill was better - I remember the name now - Brouwerij 't IJ. We rented a place across from North Church and Winkel, walked everywhere. As for recipes - there are some on this forum and I hope that there will be more. You can input recipes from others into the BIABacus and it helps to modify amounts for BIAB brewing.

Bienvenu, Yak_NN. Interesting combination of cultures you have going on there. Again, read lots and ask questions.
Last edited by ShorePoints on 21 May 2019, 09:21, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 51 guests