Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8676 made 5 years ago
Your .xlsx BIABacus was successfully attached to your post and I have opened it in Excel (I'll take a look in a bit).

As for subscribing to a topic, drill down another level from your screenshot. At the next level down there should be a tiny white triangle that brings a drop-down menu with Subscribe. It is to the right of the topic name, after the last letter.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8677 made 5 years ago
I followed this guide in important notices: https://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=145.
On topics I see the white little arrows and am able to subscribe to them. Based on the guide I should be able to subscibe to a forum, too. That would save a lot of clicking ;) Well, maybe that functionality is not there anymore so I just subscibe to the important topics below the forums recommended for subscription.
Thanks a lot for having a look at my BIABacus. Looking forward to your reply.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Germany

Post #8679 made 5 years ago
maze42 wrote:
5 years ago
I followed this guide in important notices: https://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=145...to subscibe to a forum. Maybe that functionality is not there anymore?

Thanks a lot for having a look at my BIABacus. Looking forward to your reply.

Welcome aboard maze :salute:

Thanks for pointing out that error. There's probably a few other outdated instructions there. HERE'S THE FIX...

Click here
Now go right to the bottom of that page.
On the very last line, in the dark section, you'll see Index and then Subscribe Topic.

Now I know where it is too :)

I haven't looked at your BIABacus file yet but I see that @ShorePoints is looking after you. You're in top hands there :peace:
elove88 wrote:Hello from Pennsylvania USA,

I’m a relative newbie to brewing, and I have my first BIAB brew in the fermenter. Trying to absorb all the info I can.

Thanks!
Eric
Eric, congratulations on having your first BIAB under way :clap:

And, welcome to the forum. The layout is a bit of a mess at the moment so if you have trouble finding any info, just ask your questions on the forum.

It is tempting to try and read everything but this can become confusing; a bit like buying a new car and studying every mechanical part under the hood instead of focussing on the dashboard, steering wheel and pedals ;). I think a good thing to focus on in the early days is looking for ways to make your brewing comfortable. Look for containers to store equipment in. Find ways or areas where you can clean easily. How will you bottle so it's clean, comfortable and efficient?

Surprisingly, many hugely experienced brewers, after years of brewing, will still not have many of these most valuable areas covered. There's a few I still need to do :smoke:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 23 Jan 2019, 14:08, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8682 made 5 years ago
Thanks @ShorePoints! Boomer Sooner all the way.

Thanks for that info, I really appreciate it. Me and my buddy are using equipment that was given to us, so we're working with a 5 gallon kettle at the moment. We figured we'd try a couple of small BIAB batches first before we look at getting a 10 gallon kettle.
ShorePoints wrote:
5 years ago
Welcome, Dufflebum.
Cowboy or Boomer Sooner? (that's a peculiar Oklahoma thing).

If just starting out gathering your brewing equipment, choose a kettle that will still work for you next year. That is, a 10 gallon (~30 Liter) stainless kettle with or without a thick bottom can be used to brew most 5 gallon (~20 Liter) batches and smaller batches, too. A 5 gallon kettle now might mean that you will have to buy a 10 gallon kettle soon because you want to scale up on those scarce weekends where you can have a brew day. Read posts on this forum about whether you want a valve on your kettle or just siphon the wort from a pot without one. The bag - get the right thread count - has to fit the kettle so choose both at the same time. I got kicked outdoors due to the aromas that come from brewing in the kitchen so be flexible about where you can set up everything. Go slowly on accumulating fancy equipment. Figure out how you will sanitize everything that touches wort and beer and be vigilant. I do not mean to scare you away from BIAB AG brewing, but I hope to encourage you to make good choices.

:salute:
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8685 made 5 years ago
Good morning BIABers, just an introductory post from me.
I used to HomeBrew quite a few years ago and started to get into BIAB but haven't done anything for several years and the knowledge has faded with time :(
I've had a hankering to get back into homebrew and BIAB and was looking for a copy of "TheCalculator" spreadsheet when I found this nice little community of BIAB'ers.
So Hi all and happy brewing.

Cheers,
DBC

Re: My first post...

Post #8686 made 5 years ago
<t>Hello,<br/>
<br/>
A member of the Home Brewers Facebook page posted a link to this site. Just the place I was looking for! I brewed my first beer in 1968. Used some Blue Ribbon canned hopped malt syrup, tap waterand Fleischmann‘s yeast in a crock coved with saran Wrap. Mixed the fermented result with some table sugar and bottled in some used Grolsch bottles. I and some gullible college mates survived the experience. Been brewing on and off since. Currently using a homemade recirculating eBIAB setup that I can’t seem to stop “improving”. I’d like to add some pictures to this post but can’t seem to find a successful procedure or instruction.

My goal is to learn tips and tricks that will help me improve my equipment, processes and of course my beer! I’d also like to contribute what I’ve learned and some some successful equipment and accessory designs</ I’ve built and used.t>
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8687 made 5 years ago
Howdy! New user from Houston, have spent many years hanging out on HomeBrewTalk.com. I found this site while researching "iterating mash" techniques. Looks like this could be a great forum as I am now an electric BIABer after 10 years of cooler-mash-propane-boil brewing. I'm using a BrewBoss electric setup and really like the simplicity and repeatability I'm getting with BIAB. Focus now is on upping my game and improving quality of brews to match all the great stuff we are finding in local breweries.

I look forward to hanging out and learning and sharing with the good folks on this forum!!

Post #8688 made 5 years ago
Hello and welcome to the forum @DBC , @seniletoo , and @MoonBrewer.

Sounds like you all have some brewing knowledge. @seniletoo - ability to post pictures should be in the software when you make a post. But instead of adding to the First Post section choose one of the other sections that fits what you are posting and post it there. Think it was eBIAB setup - so perhaps that subsection. (??? Review the subsections and probably make a new post).

Great to have some new blood here. Let us know if you have any questions or thoughts on anything.
Last edited by Scott on 30 Jan 2019, 19:23, edited 2 times in total.

Post #8689 made 5 years ago
Hi,
I'm new to brewing on my second kit.
I've been looking into BIAB, and looking to buy a 40l electric boiler, as this seems the most efficient for a 23l brew.
In the meantime i've borrowed a 20l stainless pot.
So i'm after a process to get close to 20l in my fermenter, or is it better to try fermenting a smaller batch in a couple of 5l plastic container.
All advice welcome.
Cheers
Gary
    • Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8690 made 5 years ago
Hello @gdp66 , and welcome to the forum!

I always would recommend going a little larger than you plan to brew. Can always scale it back but cannot scale it larger without new equipment. For example, I thought 10-gallon brew kettle would work for my planned 5-gallon batches and almost went that way. Ordered actually...then thought better of it, cancelled, and ordered a 16-gallon brew kettle. Much better for me.

I like to brew but it takes time..,even with 5-gallon Corny kegs. I now brew large batches possible (normally 8.5 to 9 gallons depending on OG of wort). Keg 5 gallons when complete, bottle some, and then completely fill some cleaned and sanitized HPTE plastic containers, gallons mostly, and label them and put in an overflow refrigerator. That’s how I do it because I can... But this wasn’t known when my equipment was ordered. And if I stuck with 5-gallon batches...? No problem, just there would be room for going a little larger.

As far as fermenters are concerned I would probably have larger one that can ferment the batch you are brewing. And I have a smaller one too for splitting batches to try different yeasts on same brew, etc.

Let us know if questions.
Last edited by Scott on 18 Feb 2019, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8692 made 5 years ago
Hello, jnick and welcome.
Ask questions when you have them - for instance, Your first 5 gallon oatmeal ________? :peace:
Porter,stout, other ale, and what percentage of the grist?
I am a fan of oatmeal (10 gms dry/ L) in making a starter - filtering out the solid wet oats before combining the filtrate with the yeast. edited
I will try to find for you a link to an article about using oatmeal that says less than ~18% of oat flakes in total grist weight does not impact mouth feel. My skepticism on that continues... but they did the taste panel, I have not. found it, thanks to tizoc http://scottjanish.com/case-brewing-oats/
Last edited by ShorePoints on 20 Feb 2019, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8699 made 5 years ago
Hi all. Im Doug and im from the USA but live in Costa Rica doing work with at risk youth. Ive been brewing for a couple years, all extract up till a month ago when i made the jump to all grain BIAB. I've been looking for ways to improve my efficiency and ran across this site. I'm excited to find a community of people with the same passion and with plenty of experience for me to learn from.

Post #8700 made 5 years ago
I'm in Liverpool UK and have 5 BIAB brews under my belt.
I only have a 13L stockpot and boil 11.5 L so end up with about 20 x 500ML bottles (I only boil for 30 mins)
My next move is to get a heavy-duty 27L polypropylene bucket and fit a kettle element and ball valve. I also plan on changing to a no-chill cube as cooling the wort is a PITA as I don't have a coil.
Got a nice English bitter recipe lined up for the first brew on the new set-up, hopefully next month.
Great forum, I'm spreading the word for BIAB when I have an opportunity.

Andy
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 64 guests