Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8626 made 5 years ago
Hi Brewers

I'm from Auckland New Zealand and have just completed my first BIAB on the weekend. Had to make a half batch of Red IPA because my boil pot is only 30 liters (yip, should have bought the 40 but money is tight). Planning on a second brew soon and looking for information on batch sizing and sparging with BIAB to see if I can get a full size batch (23 liter final) into a 30 liter pot?
Loving the experience so far and finding brewers all over the world are generally a friendly bunch :thumbs:

My preferred style of beer is an IPA that will rip your head off, like Epic brewing's wonderful Armageddon IPA (more hops than malt lol)

Cheers
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From New Zealand

Post #8627 made 5 years ago
Welcome to the forum, Tobynz.

With a 30 liter kettle you can make 20 L batches (VIP) using BIAB and do it without sparging. The BIABacus spreadsheet can scale batches for you and keep track of IBUs, too. Of course you can make your IPA more expensive to brew by boosting the hop flavors to extremes, but at least you did not have to purchase more equipment.

Have a look around the site and ask questions. :drink:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8628 made 5 years ago
Hey there!

I just recently moved to the Denver area which has re-sparked my interest in brewing beer. I just conducted my first BIAB two days ago and am looking forward to the results! However, I was drawn to this site because I did not extract as much fermentable sugars as hoped. I wanted to find as much information about BIAB, so alas! Here I am. I am loving the site and look forward to learning and discussing with fellow brewers!

Cheers,
Trenton
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8631 made 5 years ago
Greetings, Trenton, lxl and 308win!

Trenton - The consistent advice here is to use a 90 minute mash. You can do less, but you won't get as much out of the grist. 90 minute boil, too. ;)

lxl - You are on the right track, keep going. Ask questions when you have them, you will get answers. :thumbs:

308win - Look back a couple of posts to see links to the BIABacus and Clear Brewing Terminology. Take some time to try out the spreadsheet and ask questions. If you happen to brew a BIAB recipe that you have made before, follow the BIABacus next time. It works. :party:

Post #8633 made 5 years ago
Welcome, geezer. You can brew beer simply or succumb to the shiny and expensive. If you go the no chill route, just make sure that sanitizing is thorough.

I have visited other brewers’ chilling step and saw a lot of water running down the driveway. Collecting the waste water for the garden is another way to go. The best I’ve heard of is using a swimming pool (if one is so fortunate to have a pool) as a heat sink while recirculating. I have tried no-chill and found that it works. I do wonder about possible differences between simple grain & hops bills compared to more complex recipes. Maybe I’ll get around to a comparison on my next porter.

Post #8634 made 5 years ago
Hello fellow brewers, greetings from Kingston, NY.

I'm a freelance animator looking to get into the hobby of homebrewing. My experience with homebrewing is watching/somewhat helping my girlfriend with some extract kit brews. We made beer because it's cheaper than buying from the store/bar. I'd ask questions here and there but never got a grasp on the steps. I've been researching quite a bit the past month - podcasts, youtube, reddit, forums, etc. I don't just want to blindly follow steps. I want to play with all the different variables. I want to understand how/why changing one little thing can impact the flavor of the beer. I came across this website through reddit. This site looks like a goldmine, so here's to a lifetime of learning about beer.
    • SVA Brewer From United States of America

Post #8635 made 5 years ago
Welcome to the forum NayNay1225.

You have found the right place for your approach to brewing and learning. Read lots, ask questions, buy only a little bit of equoment, ask more. Picture yourself going through the steps of the process, including when you will write down time & temperature and gravity readings.

Hooray for Kingston, New York. I learned to drive on the roads from Kingston to Big Indian. Yes, that’s a real place for those who have yet to visit.

Post #8636 made 5 years ago
Hello!

I'm a procurement manager living and working in the Boston, MA area. I heard about the site because of a Brulosophy post about BIAB, and because I'm getting into eBIAB (learning about the methods and equipment before buying), I figured this is a great place to learn. So far it has been, and I'm excited to keep reading through all the material here.

I have brewed with friends (one of which who went on to become a pro brewer of sorts), but I have never used the BIAB method. I have been interested in beer for about 10 years and brewing for about 6. Finally have enough space to get my own setup and move away from the three vessel method I still don't have room to accommodate.

Cheers!
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8638 made 5 years ago
First post. First started home brewing 26 years ago, after finishing a doctoral program (VERY understanding wife). Set it all aside when we had our son and I started to build my practice (mental health). Practice is still a lot of work (55+ hours per week, usually). Son is now 23 and has a good palate. Getting back into brewing as a way to stay connected with him and as a way to be a bit creative while I relax. Wife is still very understanding!!!!! Even after 33 years. Looking forward to moving from extract brews with steeped specialty malts to full on all grain.
Michael
    • BME Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8640 made 5 years ago
Hello
I am Jeremy and live in the netherlands . I am 65 years old and now have find time to get started with a new hobby : brewing
I started this year with making cider and about 60 l is now in the cellar . Now I want to make a start with brewing beer .
I invested in some basic equipement stainless steel kettle (60 l ) gas burner ,Kegs , tubing, malt shredder ) to brew in a bag . All in all I had to buy more than I was thinking of in the beginning, so I hope it will pay off one time .
I am in the proces of starting and I read as much as possible as to brew beer , especially the biab method . so I was glad to find a dedicated website
to this biab method. The Biab methode is interesting for me because I live in an appartement and have limited space . but I have a balcony so I can do the wort boiling and cleaning outside. My first brew will next week and I bought a packet where all in the ingredient are in it to make 20 l of beer . ( the malt has to be grindend first which is what i want because i want to grind myself ).
I have studied food technology 45 years ago and part of it was making beer but I forgot most of it so have to learn all the in and outs again , but that is no problem. keeps me young .
regards
Jeremy from Arnhem (Netherlands )
    • FWK Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Netherlands

Post #8641 made 5 years ago
Hallo, Jeremy. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great post.
BIAB will work for you to make beer. You have the background to ensure success. :luck:
Do not crush your grains too finely, you want to break them open but not turn them into flour.
Ask questions when you have them and someone will be here to help.

I visited the Netherlands two years ago and loved it. We rented an apartment near North Church in Amsterdam and walked all over the city. We did the tourist things in Keukenhof and Alkmaar but never got to Arnhem. Maybe next time.

Post #8642 made 5 years ago
Thanks for your reply
Maybe Arnhem is "" a bridge too far " The whole city was destroyed in WWII ( Market Garden ) and rebuilding was quick and hastily done so not much to be seen nowadays .
( better go to Den Bosch which is a medieval city and is beautiful to walk around ) . The good thing is that there is a large increase in small brewery,s in the country now . ( people got bored only drinking Heineken ) . Belgium always had a good beer culture with lot of smaller brewery,s but now the trend of small brewery,s has shifted to the north so now it is possible to buy good local beer (even in Arnhem ). , regards , Jeremy .
    • FWK Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Netherlands

Post #8643 made 5 years ago
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster
I've been brewing 1 - 3 gallon BIAB batches of beer in my 20l kettle and have found a few recipes that I like and want to scale up without having to splash out on new gear (more beer for me and a happier wife since I'm not buying new brewing stuff)

So, about me... from Scotland, been brewing all grain for about a year now.

I'm a fan of pales, IPAs, wheat beers, fruit beers and depending on how my Imperial Stout turns out I may enjoy these more as well.

Cheers guys
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8644 made 5 years ago
Welcome, grinningthing.

Now that you have registered on this site and told us something about yourself, you can access the BIABacus and use it for changing the scale of your recipes. It is an Excel spreadsheet that looks daunting, but give it a try. Ask questions along with posting your file and we will take a look and try to help.

Find the BIABacus spreadsheet. http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869
and read Clear Brewing Terminology http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

On the page where you can get the BIABacus there are files filled in with info to make an All Amarillo Pale Ale to serve as an example (plus, it made a good beer when I tried it). Near the bottom of the top post (inside the red border on my screen) is a link to a blank spreadsheet so you can save it as such - always with the .xls filename extension. I suggest entering at least your own kettle dimensions in the topmost part before saving it so you have that as your default.

Happy brewing of those pales, IPAs, wheat beers, fruit beers and (fingers crossed) Imperial Stout. :drink:

Hello

Post #8645 made 5 years ago
Nigel from Sydney, Australia here.

I'm a newbie to home brewing, although I did try wine making many years ago (and it was a dismal failure :blush:).

I'm currently fermenting my second batch. My first was an amber ale from a $50 Coopers Craft Beer kit, which turned out OK except I didn't put enough priming sugar in the bottles. My current one is a pale ale using light malt extract, cascade hops and Safale US-05 yeast. It's not very exciting, as you might imagine.

An acquaintance recommended going all grain using BIAB, so here I am. Looking forward to learning more about this great hobby and being part of the community. Cheers! :drink:
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Australia

Post #8647 made 5 years ago
Hello!
My name is Warren Boese, and as a new brewer I'm very thankful to have found this site!

1. Where are you from?
I live on a 3 acre plot of land close to a farming/oilfield town named Strathmore, which is not far from Calgary Alberta, Canada.

2. How did you stumble across the site?
I'm not really sure? :scratch: Probably a random google search for BIAB, I've been lurking here awhile though lol!

3. What you think of it so far?
I think it's great that the whole site is basically dedicated to BIAB, which I'm currently setting up for. When you first come here it seems fairly nondescript and I bounced in and out for months (hey a guy can't know what he doesn't know! :blush:), but once you drill down you realize the breadth of available information.

4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
I have brewed exactly two brews the past two months from good extract/grain steeping kits to get started off with. Both of those have come along to the three weeks in bottle stage and I sampled both finally last night! They're good and I'm hooked! Since those brews I've realized taking over the kitchen for hours and boiling on the stove for even 12L isn't gonna work long term and thus I have been reading all I can about AG BIAB. I'm building a brew area in my basement laundry room, and the equipment is gonna be a 240v 5500w element in an 60L kettle. I've drilled and soldered the fittings in and just gathering my wiring supplies and we'll be off and running! Can't wait!

5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
Yep working, I'm 44 and work as a Golf Course Superintendent my whole life. I'm educated in Horticulture/Agronomy so I love all things science relating to soil/water/plant chemistry. This is probably why the brewing bug has bitten me so hard, lot's of science to nail down! Terrific! :thumbs:

Thanks a million, looking forward to bring a part of the guild!
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Canada

Post #8649 made 5 years ago
Hello @TurfMaster and @Bicanna. Welcome to the forum!

ShorePoints has links to the BIABacus file and CBT (Clear Brewing Terminology) pages a few posts up. These are located in the BIAB for new brewers section and are a real help to brewers of all levels!

Let us know if there are any questions, and we look forward to you both participating in the site.
Last edited by Scott on 25 Nov 2018, 08:19, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8650 made 5 years ago
Hi there,

I'm Vincent. I'm Canadian living in Switzerland since 2005. I brewed 3 extract kit 4 years ago. Took a break to take care of my 2 awesome boys and wife. Recently got back into brewing. I brewed another 3 extract kits (in one month) and wanted to move directly to all-grain via BIAB.

I built my copper immersion chiller.

I need to find my kettle (probably go electric)
and my bag

I'm currently building my recipe (maybe a SMaSH would be a good starter)

See you soon

Regards,

Vinz

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 49 guests