Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8552 made 5 years ago
Welcome Mike & Dave.

Mike - few things take less time than expected compared to a first BIAB brew day :blush:
BIAB will give you lots of flexibilty on batch size. Please note that small scale batches are more difficult to replicate and the varibles can have wilder impact than on larger (20 L) batches.

Dave - hit the search magnifying glass icon with 1869 and get the BIABacus. It may take a while to figure it out, but it is worth it.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8554 made 5 years ago
Welcome aboard [mention]Nakanta gums[/mention] . I used to work on places around Coota and Young, so, not far away from you, Nathan. I, like many others, used to 3V. Started BIAB back in 2006 from memory. It's a lovely way to brew :salute: Pat
Last edited by PistolPatch on 02 Jul 2018, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8555 made 5 years ago
Hello all.
My name is Forgetaboudit and I've been extract brewing for the last 2 years in SE WI. I just recently became an electrical apprentice and have a passion for brewing.

I need to step up my game. I built a kickass fermentation chamber using Brewpi and can keep my brews +-.1° of my desired temp. So that part of the process is extremely dialed in and where I want it, now I think I want to BIAB instead of going full all grain right away. I also have begain collecting supplies to build a control panel for an ebrewing setup later on.

I don't even know where to start to research how to do it, why certain ways are done the ways they are, or if my current equipment will suffice.
My reasons for changing is that I want more control over the whole brewing process and be able to tweak certain things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 🍻
Prost! :peace: :drink:
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8556 made 5 years ago
Welcome, Forgetaboudit. Your enthusiasm is great. :clap:
Your temperature controlled fermentation chamber will be a good thing :thumbs: because we all have to turn things over to yeast sooner or later. Can we help it do its job? Temperature is the biggest impact item that we can still use during fermentation to “steer” the yeast.
That said, BIAB is supposed to be a simple and straightforward brewing method without the need to add more shiny things to the process. So take it slow on acquiring gear that adds complications and maintenance, for now.
BIAB is for All Grain brewing, not “instead of,” as you said. Read lots on this forum before you get started. Check the Index at the upper left side of this page and then the https://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=25 page.
Note that the ‘calculator’ mentioned there is now the BIABacus as an Excel spreadsheet. It is indispensable, but takes some getting used to. Be patient and ask questions. Clear Brewing Terminology @https://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685 will also help.
Last edited by ShorePoints on 02 Jul 2018, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8557 made 5 years ago
Hi all.
My name is Kevin and I am from South Wales, UK.
I found this great site by searching for BIAB forums. I have just started back brewing after quitting over 20 years ago. I always used extract and all came out terrible (they never went to waste though 😀). I have made a few partial mash brews in last month or so using extract and a small amount of grain, all turned out so much better than my expectations... certainly better than 20 year ago lol.
I just completed my first BIAB, using a 32l tea urn controlled by a Ezboil controller, soon to be building a larger vessel.
Look forward to being a part of your community,
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8558 made 5 years ago
Things have certainly improved [mention]Kevopriddy[/mention]. Think I gave up brewing three times at least before 2006 :)

This site has a lot of gold in it you won't find anywhere else but, atm, it can be hard to find what you're looking for so don't be afraid to just jump in and ask questions. And careful on equipment; often the more bits you get the harder things become :)

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8560 made 5 years ago
Hello all, First Post Time!

1. Where are you from? Gardena, CA (Los Angeles County) - South Bay Brewing Supply is my LHBS
2. How did you stumble across the site? Google Search on "BIAB"...it was the first site that come up (and I can see why!)
3. What you think of it so far? This is a great resource for a first-time BIAB like myself. In fact, as I am typing this I am currently in the middle of my first BIAB!
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? This will be batch #12 for me. Until this time, I have done all-extract or extract/partial mash brews
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? I do work, and will be for some time...but at least i make enough to fund this hobby!
    • Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8561 made 5 years ago
Hello mav97531, and welcome to the forum!

The BIABacus is super helpful. I would also look at the Clear Brewing Terminology page. It will help the terms make sense. Both are posts on the BIAB for new members section. Here is a link: https://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=5 There are many other helpful posts on there too.

Let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions. ;)
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8566 made 5 years ago
Welcome, Cuddles Cudmore and Owlcoholic.

Cuddles - if you have brewed before, has it been three vessel (3V) or BIAB? Your experience will go a long way no matter which method you choose, but BIAB has distinct advantages. You can ask questions on the forum and get answers as you get back into brewing.

Owlcoholic - See the info on Electric BIAB at https://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=24 so you start on the right path to beer using your electric kettle. I'm with you on drinking less in the way of spirits and more in the way of beers. So little time.... Keep us posted on how BIAB brewing works for you.

Post #8568 made 5 years ago
Plinsc wrote:
5 years ago
Howdy from the southeast United States!
I have become interested in biab and followed a link from homebrewtalk.com to here!
I just started looking over the site and it seems quite helpful.
Welcome Pinsc
This is the place to be for everything Biab. Take a look around and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #8570 made 5 years ago
G'day from sunny Melbourne!

I've done kit recipes for a few years and never been that happy with the results so now taking the leap into AG brewing. Due to time, space and $$ constraints BIAB is the way to go for me right now. I plan on doing small batches (5L - 15L) so will need help with ratios/scaling plus the other 5 million little bits of info needed to get good at this awesome craft.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Cheers :thumbs:

Post #8572 made 5 years ago
Greetings to Andrew from the U.S. and wyldstalyans from Melbourne and Geoffers1 from Dorset.

Geoffers1 - I hope to have a trouble-free brew every time, but rarely get there. The variables are huge and the human factor (me) keeps getting in the way. At least the BIABacus helps keep things in line. Get it at http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869 always save your file with the .xls extension in the name, even if you use OpenOffice or another means of using it. It can help you scale recipes to fit your kit, and help you make up your own recipes, too. There were recent discussions on the forum about that at https://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4053. It does take some time to figure out, but it is well worth it.

wyldstalyans - Due to time, space and $$ constraints BIAB is the way to go for many. I use it because it works beautifully for me. What I wrote above applies again, and I'll add that if you ask questions here you will get answers, too.

Andrew - One or two more of other people's recipes might be useful to get accustomed to BIAB. There's always the NRB All Amarillo American Pale Ale recipe from the same page where you get the BIABacus (see above link for you & Geoffers1 & all others). PistolPatch says results depend on the quality of Amarillo hops available. I have made it and must have had good luck with the hops, because I thought the beer was quite good.

Post #8573 made 5 years ago
Hey Brewers,
BlueDatsun from Box Hill North here...30 brews along the path and looking to put some more structure around my BIAB process. Using gas fired, 50ltr keg, no chill , previously bottled but just got into 4 tap keg system. I drink beer, work in beer, go on holidays to drink beer, dream about beer. AHHH! beer!
Cheers in Beers BD
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #8575 made 5 years ago
Hello,

Liam from Cork here. I do full-volume, no-sparge, small-batch (1.5 - 3 gallon) batches. I came across the site while reading about scaling calculators for small-batch brewing. I've been brewing for a long time and have moved down the batch-size scale not up as I like to brew many different beers but have to drink it all myself! Also space at home is at a premium.

Latterly I have being using a sous vide device to control mash temps and found it to work really well. I am also part of the Sous Vide Beer Brewing Group on Facebook.

Regards, Liam
Sous Vide BIAB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/137408133724544/

Sláinte

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 41 guests