The quest for a new setup

Post #1 made 5 years ago
So this is where I will chronical the quest for a new eBIAB setup.

First, some background. I have been brewing for over 10 years now. Started out doing extract on a stove. Then to a fry pot, burner and cooler. a then to electric keg with a cooler, then, a 3 vessel eHERMS.
I then took the 3 vessel system and removed a pot, and set up to run as either a single vesseleRIMS/BIAB or a Brutus Countertop 20. Every one of those I built from the ground up myself. I took a lot of time, energy and pride designing and building them.
rig.png
I have moved 3 times, taking whatever system was current to the new location, one move was from Belgium to Colorado...…

This last move, was a downsizing move and I just do not have room for the 2 vessel rig anymore. So I am moving to SVB, eBIAB style.
going with this as the base of the system https://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/p ... 5p3987.htm
I have no desire to build again.

I have my pumps and plate chiller from the 2 vessel so that is moving forward with me.
There are some changes that I know already I will make, but it should be ready to run out of the box, with the equipment I already have.

I want to be brewing again by July, it has been to long already.

TMX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com
Single Vessel Simplicity
Beer not Gear!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Re: The quest for a new setup

Post #2 made 5 years ago
Awesome stuff. I am just about to move into a new brewshed and will be converting to ebiab.
I look forward to watching your progress and picking up some ideas.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #3 made 5 years ago
so, I ordered a 3 roller grain mill, prolly over kill for BIAB, but it is what it is and what I wanted.
Only problem is that one end plate was really messed up and I am waiting to see what the manufacture is going to do about it....

I have also submitted a "make offer" for 2 24v DC pumps to further shrink the total size of my system.
Single Vessel Simplicity
Beer not Gear!

Post #4 made 5 years ago
Just pulled the trigger on the High Gravity eBIAB system. Basic configuration, only change was an extra hole drilled so I can add a whirlpool. Because it has a basket, the whirlpool will have to be mounted low.

Working with Dave and Desiree at High Gravity has been awesome. They were extremely patient and answered every question quickly. Their eStore Front has a chat feature, and using it was a seamless process.

I am super excited to have it on order and can't wait until it arrives. Will be after next weekend because I am off to Estes Park for some camping!!!

T
Single Vessel Simplicity
Beer not Gear!

Post #5 made 5 years ago
I've been thinking of the Wort Hog myself. Looks like a great system. Are you getting the whole kit with the boil coil and pump?
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #6 made 5 years ago
Lumpy5oh wrote:
5 years ago
I've been thinking of the Wort Hog myself. Looks like a great system. Are you getting the whole kit with the boil coil and pump?
Got the 5-10 gallon 240v system, with all the standard items. I did not get a pump because I already have one, well 4 actually.
2 chugger pumps, one will be the pump I start with, and 2 24v DC, small tan pumps that I will use once I get a few more parts.

The 24v tan pumps can be found on Ebay, I got both for $30US shipped and it only took about a week. I used the "Make an Offer" and saved a few bucks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-24V-DC-H ... 2749.l2649
Single Vessel Simplicity
Beer not Gear!

Post #7 made 5 years ago
Hey Tex,

Question I have is does using a pump for recirculating the mash help with getting a higher gravity... Perhaps a little. (?) Electric heating would seem easier to set and have it keep temp same. But is a more elaborate setup. And adding a pump to the list...one more thing that has to be cleaned. Well, no for now. My setup works well, but always interesting to see how other guys brew...

I use conventional propane to heat, and conventional full volume, single vessel BIAB. And with my 90 minute mash, cover the pot with blankets and sleeping bag. And stop at 45 minutes to adjust temperature. It normally drops about 2 deg F in that amount of time.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 5 years ago
Is a pump necessary, no not at all. It takes the place of having to stir the mash, and helps get a full conversions. It also helps maintain a uniform mash temp, and sets the grain bed early in the process...

I ran a HERMs for years. Then a RIMs so a pump was a requirement, now I can't see brewing without one.
Single Vessel Simplicity
Beer not Gear!

Post #9 made 5 years ago
Hi there Tom,

I thought I'd replied in this thread earlier but see that I missed it. In a rush but here's a few quick notes...

- No mill is over-kill for BIAB. Whether you're crushing 5 kg or 10 tons of grain, you are crushing grain and you want to do it correctly. And, it makes no difference whether you are single-vessel all-graining (normal BIAB) or multi-vessel all-graining. The grain should be crushed the same.

- A three-roller mill with rollers with small diameters will not do as good a job as a two roll mill with large diameters so don't be lead astray on two versus three-roll mills.

- Careful on relying on a pump for re-circulation. [mention]thughes[/mention] has posted his trials and tribulations on that.

- Many of us brewers love tinkering. I am no exception and have an entire room/museum of gadgetry here that I thought would be useful or cool but, it wasn't. Gadgetry often, actually usually, causes more time and hassle and takes our eye off the real game. Making "sweet liquor" is not hard. Cleaning and sanitisation is hard....

Many home-brewers have the same gadgetry as is used in a full-blown brewery. In a full-blown brewery the gadgetry is practical and efficient but for the home brewer, it is not. In fact, the home brewer emulating the full-blown brewery actually jeopardises and compromises their brewing.

There's many reasons why. I've written a lot on this but the info is buried in many posts across many threads (one of the many things I need to condense into a single article) but here's a quick one to think on...

A commercial brewery is like a running river, the water is constantly moving and you can safely drink from the water that cascades over rocks from one level to another level. That river runs night and day. Now, imagine a drought. The river no longer runs but instead, still pools form which animals bathe in and mosquitoes breed from. Now gradually fill that pool up and then drink the first bit of water that runs over the rocks.

With every moving part you add to your home brewery, you add a place of potential stagnancy because you are not brewing night and day. A commercial brewery will still pull apart their equipment into individual components to clean and sanitise them but they don't need to do it often as there is little stagnancy.

A home brewer, even if they brew once a week, has the stagnancy component increased incredibly. They really need to be pulling things apart completely after almost every brew.

And, to top it off, every bit of equipment you add to you home brewery will take the same (if not more) time to clean and maintain. For example, a commercial brewery will lean inside their fermenter and actually scrub protusions. We can't walk inside our fermenters etc., they are too small so, even though we need to maintain them far more often and to a higher standard than a "free-flowing" brewery, we can't.

It took me years to learn the above. I learned that most gadgetry did not work and, if it did work, it took way too much work to maintain or use.

What I work on now is developing simple things that work. You can probably Google every brewing site there is, besides this one, and never find the words, 'stagnant' or 'stagnancy,' but, once I thought up that analogy of the running river, those two words are primary to me when I am devising new equipment.

Oops! That was a little bit longer than I thought it would be! Hope you enjoyed it anyway Tom :) ,
Pat
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #11 made 5 years ago
Hey Tex,

It looks cool to me... :salute: Stainless will be very durable, clean well, low risk of being damaged. Looks like a good choice. Nice that they are stackable.

Their marketing info says the yeast somehow works better with a conical design. Wonder if that’s true or just marketing hoopla?

I bought Speiel plastic fermenters. (Have 2 ea 8.9 gal and 1 ea 3.5 gal for test batches) and love them! Nice wide open top for easy access to clean. But have to be more careful not to scratch the plastic. And really baby the plastic ball valves to clean them well so bugs don’t remain.

Speidels are flat bottom. I did a ton of research 3.5 years ago before buying and think I got the sense that conical bottom and flat bottom ferment a little “differently”, not necessarily one better than the other. (Maybe that’s correct, and maybe not...) Conical was supposed to have some advantages for yeast collection. So if you decide to come out of semi-retirement Tex - ;) - and upgrade to a large pro system with stainless conical fermenters, maybe your recipes will work better without modification. :drink: And perhaps have an easier time with harvesting yeast from the fermenter with the conical. (?)

Anyhow, looks good! Thanks for sharing. :thumbs:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #12 made 5 years ago
I think the main thing with a true conical is that you can dump trub, and harvest yeast. Neither of those I can do with the brew bucket, but that was not my main intent.
I wanted a buy once solution that I could pressure transfer from, and this fits that need. I really wanted the Fermentasaurous (sp) but they are to tall....so I went with this.

Then I found out the v2 of the Fermentasaurous will be much shorter.....but I had already made my order.

The fermenting with a cone bottom just reduces the contact space between the beer and the yeast/trub cake, this is only a real concern if you believe in the autolysis boogie-man.

In the end, I feel like a got a great piece of gear, that will serve me, my brewing needs, and brewing style for a long time, and that is what is important.

T
Single Vessel Simplicity
Beer not Gear!

Post #15 made 5 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:
5 years ago
Interesting read on this thread and your WordPress. You touched on LODO. Are you running a loc line sparge ring above or below the surface of the mash? What did High Gravity supply for this? I'm interested in how you/they addressed this.
MS
The LODO comment was more about how people can become cultish about things..I was the same way for a long time about Crossfit.....

You know how to tell if someone is a cross fitter...they will tell you....
I see the same thing happening with LODO.
All of the "science" makes sense to me, but there are just some things I can't or do not wish to put into practice. Does not fit my brewing style.
To answer your question however, there is a corkscrew type of spray fitting mounted under the lid....it sprays water on top of the grain....very NOT LODO...lol

I am going to brew again soon, I will take more pics, and should have a write up on my blog about the system as a whole soon-is

T
Single Vessel Simplicity
Beer not Gear!

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests