Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8427 made 6 years ago
Hello biabers,

I'm an Australian living in Helsinki, Finland. I've been doing extract + steeping brews for a couple of years, then last weekend I tried my first all grain BIAB. I came across this site while trying to work out why my efficiency was so terrible!

My "setup", if you can call it that, is one 10 litre pot and an electric stove that can barely boil 6-7 litres of wort - so when doing all grain I'm limited to small batches. Looking forward to learning some tips to brew better beers!

Cheers!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Finland

Post #8428 made 6 years ago
H all
1. Where are you from? Nottingham UK
2. How did you stumble across the site? google search on anything homebrew
3. What you think of it so far? massive amount of information to digest- its only beer!!!
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? ive't bed for over twnty yrs- found out all my kit when sorting the loft and thought I needed to put it back to use. Done a couple of kits since Christmas just to get my eye back in - but hoping to go back to grain for the next one.
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? work, work, work :think:

Post #8429 made 6 years ago
Rodchenko and Ray Kenish, welcome to the forum. There is indeed a ton or more of information on this site.
Rodchenko - small batch brewing is covered quite well on the site. Take a look at this area if you haven't already https://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=23
Ray Kenish - good for you on polishing off your old kit.
Make sure to read Clear Brewing Terminology http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685 , and start exploring
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8431 made 6 years ago
Welcome [mention]FlippedOut.[/mention] :salute:

With your time/family constraints, I'd suggest Fresh Wort Kits (FWK's). They are extremely good value and all you have to do is pitch the yeast and then let it ferment.

In contrast, if you all-grain (BIAB is an all-grain method) you'll need a day to get it to the same stage as a FWK. (I'm exaggerating a bit but not by much).

So, in Canberra, see if you can find a home brew shop that sells FWK's. When I find a home brew shop that sells FWK's I like, I have no problem buying them. They are great!

:thumbs: PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 05 Feb 2018, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8433 made 6 years ago
Welcome Beestbrew
As a fellow Canadian I thank you for your military service. :salute:
You shouldn't need much more to start biabing, probably just a bag. Have a look around and at the Biabacus and we'll get you on your way
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #8434 made 6 years ago
Hello Everyone!
I am from Dorset in the UK. I am very new to brewing but have liked beer for a long time. I was inexplicably drawn to beer from about age two when I used to drink the left over drips out of my Dad's Guinness bottles. Maybe I liked beer in a previous life, I don't know.

I brewed a tinned kit of Barley Wine about 15 years ago and then at the end of last year I got round to brewing my second kit (haha) a St Peters Ruby Red.
It turned out surprisingly well. I didn't know much about brewing at all when I did the first kit. When I did the second one last year I still didn't know anything but have since read a lot about brewing on the internet and that was when I discovered it was possible to brew from scratch with grain at home.

I really needed a hobby so I have recently bought a 30 litre electric boiler along with various other bits and I am going to have a go at a some small batch all-grain BIABs. I found a really simple 1 gallon BIAB recipe using one malt and one type of hop, that will definitely be my first go as it sounds like the simplest.
I will probably have a go at an extract brew at some point as well, partly so I can fill my 5 gallon barrel again and partly out of interest to see how it compares.

I found this site while looking around the internet, it was mentioned on the Brew UK forum.
It looks very interesting, I'm glad I found out about the BIAB method as I wouldn't even be attempting all-grain otherwise.
    • Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8435 made 6 years ago
Hi everyone!

1. Where are you from?
Maple Valley, WA
2. How did you stumble across the site?
Looking for help on my first BIAB
3. What you think of it so far?
Not sure yet, still reading posts!
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
Yes, I've been brewing extract for about 3 years.
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
I do work, so this is completely my hobby.

Post #8436 made 6 years ago
Hi Everyone,

My Name is Craig Bond, I'm from Ottawa, Canada.
I've been brewing for 3 years, 1 with extract and two with a 5 Gallon BIAB on a propane burner.
I'm just finishing a 5500W Electric BIAB setup in a keggle, using an Auber PID and recirculation.

I've brewed almost 30 batches so far, and enjoy the hobby. I enjoy brewing a wide range of ales, and still bottle condition them.

My favorite style to brew is English Bitter, and I'm always looking to try a good recipe in that style.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #8437 made 6 years ago
Greeting, beerandbiscuit,matthawley and bond06802.

beerandbiscuit - nice post, thank you. :thumbs: Take a look at the BIABacus page http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869 and its link to a recipe of Single Malt And Single Hop (SMASH) called All Amarillo Pale Ale. While Amarillo hops may differ from year to year, the recipe is a nice example of how to set it up.

matthawley - keep reading and ask questions if you have any. Folks here are pretty good about providing answers.

Craig Bond. Look around the forum for info specific to electric brewing and you might find gold. I brew outdoors with propane and I am still bottle conditioning, too.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8438 made 6 years ago
Hi!

I'm in the Dandenong Ranges in Melbourne, Australia. I've brewed a couple of Cooper's kits many years ago, and have been making corn/sugar washes (UJSM) for a while, which I distill. I want to make some beer, so BIAB seemed a great way to understand the brewing process and calculations. My goal is to make some beer to drink, and some beer to distill. I've got a lot to learn.

I've just made a simple gas fired keggle from a 50ltr keg. I've put a gauge and tap on it. I'll also experiment with using my RIMS tube to maintain temp, then back to gas for boiling. Should be fun.

Thanks to all who contribute to these forum pages, its a huge resource you've made available. I'm re-reading the commentary now and deciding on a simple recipe to start with. Hope to have my first brew day later this week.

Cheers All,

Phil
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Australia

Post #8444 made 6 years ago
I am from Brisbane (Australia).
My first exposure to brewing was in the very late 80's as a teenager using Kits with little to no instructions and a lot of misleading information. After my share of bottle bombs I gave up :(. The craft brew revival in Australia has wetted my appetite to have another crack at making the beers I love. The shear amount of information and support available on the topic spurned me on to get a fermentation chamber finished. I am currently researching the best starting position and equipment to commence the journey.
While investigating BIAB setup with view of possibly going the full hog AG at a later stage I was pointed from another forum to this site. Hence my first post today.

See you around the traps :)

Jens

Post #8445 made 6 years ago
Welcome carlsgm -
Enthusiastic beginners are most welcome to the forum. Learning BIAB is the simplest All Grain (AG) way to get to beer.

dbBIAB - You have found a great resource in this forum. Your DME and mead-making experience will serve you well. Read lots of things on this site and ask questions if you have any.

preikschat -
Welcome Jens. This forum is very motivated to correct misleading information that is out there. Please do continue to investigate BIAB and when you want to go AG, you will probably find it the best way to go.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8446 made 6 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm an engineer in Philadelphia who recently got into brewing - completed my first DME brew a few months ago which only whetted my appetite, so I just switched to BIAB all grain brewing. While things have been going well so far I still have a lot to learn, especially when it comes to minimizing trub loss and improving my yield. I can't wait to delve into the forums and start playing with the BIAbacus to start working on new recipes!
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8448 made 6 years ago
Hello fellow brewers, I've recently retired and have some time to devote to a reacquired hobby. I brewed all extract in the '80's when I had a rotating shift job and some time on my hands. I even got to the point of using corny kegs, but family, job changes and time constraints forced me to stop. My how times have changed. The growth in the hobby is mind boggling and a little bit intimidating. Fortunately I have stumbled upon this site to put it all in perspective. I currently use a propane fired 38L kettle with a tap, into a counterflow chiller to a FastFerment conical. I recently acquired an upright freezer and Inkbird controller for a fermentation chamber. I favor hoppy ales but haven't brewed one that I am proud of yet. I sew my own bags. I have a stout in the freezer now. Experimentally I adjusted the water chemistry for the darker beer according to Palmer. I look forward to becoming more familiar with the site. I have read with some interest the thread on using refractometers, and I hope to be able to contribute to the knowledge base.

Steve

Post #8450 made 6 years ago
Good morning

I am a new brewer from Detroit, MI. I have completed two successful extract brews but my expectations were different than reality and my beer lacked flavor and body like I was hoping. I began researching and listening to podcasts and came across one where Patrick Hollingdale was the guest, leading me to this site. I am excited to start BIAB and excited to find tips tricks and recipes on this forum

Cheers

Dave
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 54 guests