Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8401 made 6 years ago
Hey Mike, welcome to the Forum! That old Beersmith podcast is exactly how I found this forum, and damned glad I did. This site is so informative you can spend hours (literally) exploring different subjects, and the brewers here are very happy to help.
It's been said many times, but do explore Clear Brewing Terminology http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685 and then start asking questions!
Have fun
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8403 made 6 years ago
Hello all!
1. Where are you from?
Michigan
2. How did you stumble across the site?
Reddit post
3. What you think of it so far?
Pretty cool as I only do BIAB and most online all grain knowledge is not tailored for that.
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
Been brewing for just over a year now. Did first batch extract and went right into BIAB after that.
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
Working full time (military).
    • Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8405 made 6 years ago
First Post for me.
I am an American living in North Carolina. I have been an avid beer drinker for years, but have only recently been initiated into the joys of home brewing. I am a small batch brewer (1 gallons) simply because I like to brew often but do not have the space for several bottles of beer in my current arrangement. I assume that I will eventually transition to kegs, and that point I will obviously leave the small batching behind and move on to bigger things.

With that being said, I want to get into all grain at the 1 gallon size, and BIAB seems like the obviously solution.

Converting recipes to 1 gallon size has been my challenge, and I hope to continue to get some good information and advice from BIABrewer.

I look forward to the adventure.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8407 made 6 years ago
Hi everybody,
My name's Simone :thumbs:

I'm an Italan HomeBiaber and i was searching some info on No-Chill flavoruing hop timing...
Actually i've brewed 2 times, a Belgian Dubbel and an Irish . Tomorrow i'm going ti brew an Australian Pale Ale...

I'm a tecnichal teacher in high school, expert in mechanical and electrionic devices like Arduino and IoT, trying to implement some tecnology in my brew-process.

I'm not so good in written englsh, but 'i do my best.

Hope to enjoy this forum

ThankYou!

S.G.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Italy

Post #8408 made 6 years ago
Benvenuto, Simone.
You do not need to worry about written English. Just put your questions to the forum and one of the folks here will answer.

Do try the BIABacus spreadsheet. http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869 and read Clear Brewing Terminology http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685
The BIABacus is a thing of beauty. Remember to save the files with the .xls extension in the filename.

I just got an Arduino, so I might have questions for you in the near future. Perhaps a forum topic on Arduino will be a good thing?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8409 made 6 years ago
BIABrewer wrote:
14 years ago
All newly registered members are encouraged to post here provided they have fully read all articles in BIABrewer.info Essentials.

[center]My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered.[/center]

Now that you have ploughed through all the reading as instructed in BIABrewer.info Essentials and had a look around the site, make a post here to become a fully registered member.

Posts in this thread are individually assessed by administration so as to prevent, "spammers," and, "bots," infecting the site. Posting a few details here, especially where you are from, will enable existing site users to quickly identify with you.

If you are unsure of what to write for your first post, perhaps let us know a few or all of the following things - as much as you are comfortable with but also enough so that we are sure of your good intentions...

1. Where are you from?
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?

You can even come back to the post you make here, update it from time to time and then link it in your profile to let us know more recent things that have been happening.

So, post away and we will change your status to a, "Fully Registered BIABrewer," as soon as we can.

Welcome aboard,
BIABrewer

All newly registered members are encouraged to post here provided they have fully read all articles in BIABrewer.info Essentials.
Hey guys! I'm a new brewer from Canada (Montreal to be more specific...)

I spent months learning about Homebrew before finally brewing my first extract batch in October. I got hooked and currently got my second batch going on.

However, I just recently learned about small batches BIAB and I was hoping to get more info before I get started.

I found this website by links posted on reddit and homebrewtalk.

I am working full time as a computer IT.

Great to meet you all!

Post #8410 made 6 years ago
Hi all! New brewer here from the UK, Newport Pagnell to be exact.

I've done a lot of reading and recently brewed my first 1 gallon BIAB using a Brooklyn Brewshop kit - opened the first bottle on New Years Eve and was pleasantly surprised! Planning a SMASH recipe next to help learn the basics and stumbled across mention of the site (specifically the BIABacus!) on Reddit - currently trying to wrap my head around water volumes through the process so hoping the site can help me with this and the many future queries i'm sure i'll have!

Happy brewing!
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8411 made 6 years ago
[mention]sneakybrewz[/mention] : Welcome to the board. I hope in the future we'll see some pics of you happily brewing on an ice lake. [mention]BobBrews[/mention] has posted a few good ones :)

[mention]Abay2887[/mention] : Atm, It's a bit hard to find answers easily here on what you need so, until the site finishes "re-building," don't wast too much time searching, just ask your questions and someone will help you out.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8412 made 6 years ago
Hi all. I'm new to beer brewing, after years of looking at it and wanting to get started.

I live in Hamilton, New Zealand, but discovered a love of good beer when I was living in Germany in the 90's. I found out that there was a whole lot more to beer than the rubbish that was then available in NZ. My wife is from Southern Illinois, USA, so I've been able to taste some really great beers from all over the US while visiting there. My favourite recent beer memory from the US was a visit to the Superior Bathouse Brewery in Hot Springs, Arkansas, which has been the subject of a recent BBR podcast.

I have brewed a couple of high-ish gravity meads, which I'm still aging. The first of those is over 8 years old now, and still untasted. I'm holding onto it until my 50th at the end of the year.
I don't drink a lot of beer, but love to have variety and high quality when I do, so I'm looking to small-batch BIAB, with the aim of producing mostly 6 to 12 bottle brews, in a wide variety of styles.

Cheers,
Hugh

Post #8413 made 6 years ago
[mention]hhn68[/mention] Hi there Hugh :peace:

NZ, the home of some beautiful hops! Looks like you have tremendous patience to leave those meads for 8 years :o
With "tiny" batches, these can sometimes get so small that they can become a bit tricky.

Let's say a "normal" batch gives you 25 x 750ml bottles (19 L or about 5 gallons)
This "normal" batch, depending on what you are brewing, will require a 11.5 gram pack of dry yeast.

If you only wanted 6 x 750ml bottles, you need to not only split your yeast pack into quarters but then you have to make sure the remainder never gets contaminated or oxidised until the end of the packet - three brews later. There are ways around this however, they are advanced methods.
The same problems occur with hops so, if possible...

In your early days, try and do larger batch sizes and give the excess away to friends if they come and help you :)

The other issue is that a "tiny" batch is not much less work and time than a "normal" batch.

Whatever you decide, someone here is sure to help you on your way :salute:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8414 made 6 years ago
1. Where are you from?

I'm from Charlottesville, VA - I've been here before, but so long ago, I forgot my username!

Been BIAB'ing for 5+ years - all electric for just over a year now
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8417 made 6 years ago
Hello everyone.

New to home brewing from Innisfil Ontario Canada. I stumbled across this site from homebrewtalk as a great resource for BIAB as I think that is the way I want to go. Currently I am on my third pre made wort kit. Looking for advice to get started.

I'm thinking 10-15g kettle, brew bag, KAB4 burner and maybe a pulling system as I will be brewing in my garage with the doors open. Let me know what you think as I idealy want to do 5-6g batches and maybe the odd double batch.
    • FWK Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Canada

Post #8423 made 6 years ago
Hi everyone. I'm from Hinckley in England and have been brewing for about a year now (as well as a couple basic kits before then). Me and a friend started out with kits and worked our way up to BIAB via a few extract recipes. We're currently on our third BIAB batch which is a vanilla chocolate milk stout currently sitting in the secondary and are planning to brew an American IPA next in a couple weeks. I found out about this forum when looking up calculators that work with the BIAB method and saw BIABAcus recommended. I've currently got the Beersmith 2 trial on the go but am finding it a little clunky for the BIAB method as so much of it is tailored towards the traditional three vessel method. So far I've been using my own spreadsheets (I work full time as an engineer, so am quite interested in the maths side of what's going on) but am finding that I want to add in more and more detail as we got more experienced.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8424 made 6 years ago
Welcome to the forum Hamby & Hinckley.

Hinckley - The BIABacus file works great! There's enough work with understanding the processes, most don't want to make major alterations, as there is no reason to do so. The BIABacus does allow some leeway to modify things if needed, but not modify the actual formulas. I think you would be very happy with it. If you can do a search on this forum with some of PistolPatch's writing about the BIABacus, I think you would get lots more info than I can readily explain.

We have tons of information on here, especially in the beginner's section. Have a look around... You'll find it's like peeling an onion. Tons of high quality info. And if there are questions you don't find answers for, post a question and one of us will be along to help!
Last edited by Scott on 22 Jan 2018, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8425 made 6 years ago
Hi All,
1. Where are you from? Currently in Canberra, Australia
2. How did you stumble across the site? Aussie HomeBrewer Website
3. What you think of it so far? A wealth of information that will take time to sort through.
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? I have never brewed before but am starting with single-kettle BIAB.
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? I work.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 48 guests