Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8326 made 6 years ago
Hey all,

My name is Wes and I'm from Ohio, USA. I just got into brewing and decided to go with BIAB since it seemed a little easier to get started with than three vessel. I've been catching up on a bunch of old Beersmith podcasts, and one of them mentioned this site so I thought I'd give it a try. I've really been looking for a good source of information specific to BIAB, so looks like I hit the jackpot!

I've brewed two batches so far using BIAB. The first one turned out surprisingly well, and still waiting for the second to carbonate. I recently graduated from college and started working full time. I figured I needed a real hobby now that I'm a real person, so I picked brewing! I'm hoping this site can help be become a better brewer, there's so much to learn!

Thanks!
Wes
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8327 made 6 years ago
Welcome to the forum Jonny from Hampton, NB and Roger BMWfan from Minnesota, and also to Wes pancakes from Ohio. This is the place for brewers who have made a few batches as well as those who have brewed for 15 years, where BIAB information helps all of us make better (and easier!) All Grain beer.
Be sure to check out the BIABacus - it is not as hard as it might first look. http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869
And see the Clear Brewing Terminology page, too. http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685
If you have questions, feel free to ask.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8328 made 6 years ago
Gday all

Just assembling the components to kick off BIAB after about 1.5 years of kits and partial brews. Made some good beer and had some shockers along the way. I have tried a few fresh wort kits and am impressed. Came across the site while researching BIAB. Seems pretty good once you get your head around the structure.

I'm from Newcastle, NSW, Australia. I work shift work so am up at random times on the site.

Look forward to more

Cheers
Damo

Post #8329 made 6 years ago
Hello Damo (AussieBrew),

Welcome to the forum! Let us know what questions you have, and one of us will be along to help...

Once you have all of your equipment sorted out, the BIABacus Excel file is great! Really is huge help. And if you would like some help with equipment, before is always better than after purchasing...

BIABacus Tool:
http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869

Clear Brewing Terminology - CBT - will help you understand the terms easier:
http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

Feel free to put a new post on the BIAB for New Members page, please be clear in the title and be as clear as possible on what you are looking for on any questions.

Thanks, and best of luck! :luck:
Last edited by Scott on 17 Oct 2017, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8330 made 6 years ago
Hello All,

I've just been introduced to brew-in-a-bag by a friend this last wekeend, loved it! Now waiting for the results.
My experience of brewing is scant, I've only done four 'wort in a can' brews...with decreasing levels of success. My first lot was the best, which is worrying! I must be overthinking it, although somebody did point out that my first brew was in winter, and the last three were during the much warmer months of the English summer, so I'm putting my off-flavours down to over-temp fermenting. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, I'm hooked by the BIAB method now, and can't wait for this one to leave the bin so I can start boiling up the next.

Cheers, Paul.
    • Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8331 made 6 years ago
Hello Paul,

Welcome to the forum!

:!: Quick Tip: To moderate fermentation temperatures and keep fermentation temperatures CONSISTENT (important) - get a larger garbage can and put water in it. Place fermenter in the garbage can with water. It helps a lot!!! And in the winter you may have to use a fish tank heater to warm the water for brewing ales if too cold / or brew lagers in winter. Depends on ambient temperatures and sometimes other temperature variables.

I didn't develop this technique but got it from a pro. And it worked great before I got a fermentation chamber. And if I needed to ferment more than one at a time I use this as a fall-back. Different yeast strain suppliers will post recommended temperatures for their products.

Let us know if questions...

Post #8332 made 6 years ago
Hi folks

I'm Ade (only my parents call me Adrian... lol), from Wolverhampton in the UK.

Started out brewing kits in August of this year (to date I've brewed 7 kits, 2 with big time tweaks that really improved them a LOT), starting the transition to BIAB a few days ago.

So far I've done one BIAB (an attempt at a clone of Brewdog Electric India saison), and one 5 litre stove top AG. Honestly, it's not gone that well. My efficiency has been quite low, and my equipment not up to par. Pretty sure I know what I can do about my equipment (better bag, better boiler....) but need to do a lot more reading around, and get a lot more advice, to improve my process and thus my efficiency (59% for the BIAB, 53% for the stove top....).

To this end, I decided my best bet was to sign up on here.

Cheers.

Ade
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8333 made 6 years ago
Welcome to the community Ade

We'll need to know more specifics about your process and kit to help understand where you might be falling down on efficiency :think:

Post specific questions and you'll be amazed to what ends the member will go to help & advise you

Don't give on AG and BiaB though, once you get your experience up you'll be amazed at the beer you can make :thumbs:

cheers mate
Nick
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #8334 made 6 years ago
Thanks Nick. :peace:

No plans to give up just yet, stocked up on too much malt to do that. lol That and I know eventually I'll get there. I just need to do more preparation, definitely tweak my schedule too to improve my own efficiency.

I'm going to adjust my equipment soon though, I'll put details of what I have now, and options for improvement, in a proper thread though rather than fill this one up.

Thanks again.

Ade
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8335 made 6 years ago
Hi BIABrewers,

My name is Mitch, and I'm from St. Louis, MO USA. I've been extract brewing for about 8 years, primarily 5 US gallon batches. I have been considering all-grain brewing for awhile but have been intimidated by the process, cost of equipment, and time commitment. After some research, it seems as if BIAB is the perfect introduction to all-grain (or possibly as far as I need to go).

I have recently upgraded to a 10 US gallon Tall-Boy brew kettle and purchased a 50,000 BTU propane burner in preparation for the big day. My first attempt at at BIAB will be tomorrow. I will be brewing an IPA (5 US gallon). Later this week, I will be doing a BIAB Founder's Brewing Breakfast Stout clone (5 US gallon). I'll post the results of my first BIAB brewing experience in the appropriate forum.

Can't wait to dive in to the forums!

Mitch

Current favorite beers:
Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
4 Hands City Wide
Left Hand Milk Stout
    • BME Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8336 made 6 years ago
Hi Mitch from St. Louis - welcome to the forum! BIAB is indeed a good way to shift from extract, and with 8 years of brewing you've got some good processes in place. Read through Clear Brewing Terminology here http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685 as it really helps to get concise answers when asking questions. And let us know how your first BIAB batches go!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8337 made 6 years ago
Hi Guys and Gals

I am Tom from Norway, been all grain BIAB brewing for a meager 3 mnths with a friend, but I am learning fast from him and by myself.

We have two BIAB kettles, 60L/3000W (electric) each. Doing double batches when we can.

Looking forward to post some brew results and getting feedback for improvements. Great resource this forum!

Cheers,
Tom
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Norway

Post #8339 made 6 years ago
TomTheViking and Redneck,

Welcome to the forum!

Redneck - where are you looking for posts...? If you look at the FIRST post in the forum it will be from about 7 years ago. Many are much more recent than that. And if looking for the BIABacus file, look in the BIAB for New Brewers section.

Let us know what questions you have after reviewing the forum and other posts and we will do our best to help.
Last edited by Scott on 30 Oct 2017, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8341 made 6 years ago
Hi all,

New to, well getting into, biab just setting up to do it.

From Yorke Peninsula south oz.

Need a few minor parts to be fully set up to brew, mostly a few stainless steel fittings and I should be right to go.

Currently doing partials with crystal malts, hops and generally a coopers pale ale tin.

Come across the forum through learning how to use podcasts and what they are and listening to beersmith podcast with Patrick hollingdale

Don't know what else to say other than looking forward to getting a lot of help from this site
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Australia

Post #8343 made 6 years ago
Hi guys!

My name is Matt from Northern Illinois USA. I'm pretty new to brewing but not beer drinking! I found out about this site listening to an older podcast from basic brewing radio. I've been wanting to try all grain brewing and biab sounds like the way to go for me. I'm getting ready to give it a try this weekend and can't wait to see how it goes. Looks like I'll be able to find all the help I need with this site.
    • Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8344 made 6 years ago
Wow, Keith, Matt, Cayslayer and Solitude - welcome to the forums! Great to have so many new members all at once! This site is a rabbit hole, you can spend so many hours exploring and learning, getting so much information about all grain in general and BIAB specifically. Do read the Clear Brewing Terminology thread http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685 , explore recipes and ask questions. You'll be richly rewarded.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8345 made 6 years ago
Hello. I'm from Indian Land, SC... just outside of Charlotte, NC. I came across this site through the Beer Smith podcast through my desire to learn more about BIAB brewing. I just brewed my first beer and it's currently fermenting. I have my fingers crossed that I got it right. I decided to go electric (two 1500 W heat sticks) with 15 gal kettle/BIAB with 7 gal stainless fermenter. I went a little heavy for just starting brewing, but I'm an engineer and I figured I better spend a little more so I would be happier with my start. I imagine I'll tinker quite a bit to see where I want to be for brewing.
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1339.JPG
Cheers,
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8346 made 6 years ago
Hi there everyone! My name is Doug. I'm 67. retired, and I started life in the mountains of East Tennessee and Western North Carolina, where many of my extended family were "moon shiners"; so I guess I came across this hobby innocently and honestly enough.

I lived several years in Germany at a much younger age and that's where I developed a taste for Real Beer, not the "stuff" that is so readily available in cans at the corner stores where I currently live. My German friends taught me many years ago that American beer was nothing more than utilizing the results of drinking good German Beer.

I got interested in home brewing a little over a year ago and cut my teeth, so to speak, on the little brown keg process, for those familiar. I quickly determined that pure extract brewing was just not my "mug o' beer" and I started looking at other avenues of getting what I desired most...A good European style beer! In the process I started looking at Partial Mash and All Grain brewing. In doing so I stumbled across the BIAB process and searched the web for a good learning source. I stumbled across a few, but not a site that seems to be dedicated to pure BIAB. I managed to find this site.

Like I said, over the past year, I started leaning towards Grain brewing, trying to distance myself from the process I had gotten into reasonably inexpensively and I started building my brew kit.

At 67, here in the states I no longer work. 21 years in the military and nearly 20 years working as a Network Systems Administrator/Information Security Officer took its toll and I decided to pull the plug on work and kick back.

I kicked back in Southeast Georgia and started looking for something to get absorbed in besides social media and surfing the internet, but I wanted a quality beer in my hand as I did so. Since none were to be had, I looked into brewing my own and so, HERE I AM!

My user name is Catskinner. It doesn't mean I don't like cats! Growing up and all through my adult life, when I would encounter a tough problem, I kept reflecting back on something my Dad used on me quite often: "Son there's more than one way to skin a cat." Even difficult problems have a solution.

BIAB has become mine.

Luck to all and as I get more used to what I am about to start, I'm certain I'll ask you for your solutions with my Cat!
I am living proof that old dogs can be taught new tricks!

Post #8348 made 6 years ago
Hiya peeps,

My name Will and I am from the Jackson, MS area. I have been an extract brewer for almost 20 years....I first started home brewing as a grad student working on my masters degree as a way to give myself a break from the studies. I have always wanted to get into all grain, but I live in an apartment and space is at a premium. Not to mention, I would need to buy a bit more gear to do it. So financially, it has not really been an option, until I started reading about the BIAB process. I have been reading about BIAB for years, but to be honest, extract brewing has met my needs so well that I just didn't have a desire. :)

Well this year I decided to finally build a keezer (still in the build process there) so I could have my refrigerator back to store food in. :) And it also made me want to try something new....and here I am at BIABrewer.

I would really like to see what I can do with BIAB brewing. It intrigues me that you can combine so many steps of tradition all grain brewing. I also like the fact that I would have a minimal cost beyond what I have already invested to get started. Of course like many hobbies, the more you like it the more you invest in it...Well, we will see. :)

Will
    • Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 66 guests