Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8276 made 6 years ago
Hi All,

I'm from Almere, the Netherlands and work as a hospital pharmacist. Large scale production is in my blood and I was looking for a reproducible and robust method for producing a propper beer with limited space available. I got a tip from a local brewer (naeckte brouwers, Amstelveen) that BIAB might pull the trick. What I've seen thusfar is really usefull ! I've have some extract brewing experience and love to brew to all-grain stouts and porters, which are limited available in the Netherlands. With BIAB technique i hope to develop some own recipes which i will share on this forum.

Cheers!

Post #8279 made 6 years ago
Hi, I'm Hugo, from Portugal. I've just came across BIABrewer after being reading online for detailed procedure in order to start brewing AG through BIAB method. It has been a valuable source of informations, with very comprehensive explanations about almos anything related with BIAB. I'm in the process of deciding betweek Kit brewing or straight to AG, though, due to limitedequipment and space I'm considering BIAB (mini maybe).

Looking forward to shere my next (first) experiences with brewing my own beer.

Best,

Hugo

Post #8280 made 6 years ago
Hi Hugo, welcome to the forum! Lots of people here brew small BIAB batches with great success. Once you get to know how to use the Biabacus, there's no reason you can't scale down to a size that fits your equipment. Ask lots of questions, you'll get very informed and helpful answers. Be sure to read the clear terminology section - There's a link in an earlier post above. Happy brewing! :thumbs:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8282 made 6 years ago
Hi BIABrewer staff and users,

Just posting to complete my registration.

Have done roughly 20 kit can brews and have been experimenting with grain and hop additions with some success.

I am now starting out in the world of AG BIAB, which is why I am needing some brewing software so I can build my receipts and learn all the ins and outs of brewing to BJCP Style Guidelines, tweaking for personal preference, and then getting consistent with my brews. I am into American Pale Ales and IPAs (like everyone!), but am interested in getting good at Dry Irish Stout, Golden Ale, Lager, Pilsner, and Amber Ale as well. The no chill method interests me from a water conservation point of view as well as so I don't have to spend money I don't have on another bit of equipment.

Anyways, happy days and look forward to asking questions of you all and contributing to questions from others in the future.

Cheers :drink:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #8283 made 6 years ago
Hey Hoppiton welcome

I think you've made the right decision coming to BiaB there's a certain satisfaction in mashing your own grains and becoming more of a real brewer.

I have free and purchased brewing software and neglect them both in favour of the Biabacus tool available here which is excellent, I hope you find it as useful as many of us do.

Good luck getting into it. Re: No chill: I use my chill water into the washing machine I was going to run anyway for the family's clothes. So two birds, one stone right?

cheers
Nick

Post #8285 made 6 years ago
Welcome welktickler - interesting moniker you’ve got there.
As a newbie, please read up on Clear Brewing Terminology so that we can communicate with fewer problems. http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685
After you have invested time and money in choosing equipment (and you can ask questions here before you do) set things up for a practice run without the real ingredients. How will you maintain mash temp for x minutes? Will your heat source provide enough energy for the sweet liquor to get to a rolling boil? How fast do you want to cool the wort when the boil time is over? How will you do that, and how will you feel if it doesn’t turn out as expected? What will you use to keep a record of what you do? When do you need a timer (or two!) to start and later alert you to do something? Weigh stuff, measure volumes and Specific Gravity, figure out how to transfer liquids neatly - do not be afraid, you can do this.
The reward is beer. :yum:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8286 made 6 years ago
I heard about this site on the homebrewtalk forum.
I haven't actually done any BIAB brews yet. Just extract and partial mash. Have brewed about 5x so far.

I bought a large kettle and ordered a bag for it. Going to put an electric heat element in it. I have Craftbrewpi and will use that to control the mash temp with some circulation to keep the temp during mashing. Am also using the Craftbrewpi controller for fermentation temp control.

Looking forward to getting started with BIAB

From Minnesota. Have a Northern Brewer about 15 minutes away from my house.
Electric BIAB brewer. Homemade CraftbeerPi controller.
25gal kettle. 15gal Plastic Conical Fermenter with temp control
Having fun.

Post #8288 made 6 years ago
I thought I replied already to this post, but don't see it. Unless.....since I'm new, it has to be approved by a moderator. If this is a duplicate, sorry - go ahead and delete it.

From Minnesota, USA. I saw a mention of this form on the homebrewtalk forum.

I've brewed about 5x using extract and partial mash kits from Northern Brewer - since they are only about a 15 minute drive from my house.
I have a 5 gallon kettle that I used on the wife's stove.

I was going to go full HERMS, but it would take too long to get all the $$ together to get all the gear, so I decided BIAB would be better. I bought a 25 gal Aluminum kettle from a brewer nearby from Craigslist. Ordered a 5500w heating element from Amazon and a bag from brewinabag. I still need to figure out all the fittings needed to connect my small pump and to the DIY counter-flow chiller I made.

I'm also planning on doing recirculation during mashing and have a Craftbrewpi controller for that. I also use that to control fermentation temps.

All of these "Calculators" available (spreadsheets, software, etc) look a bit intimidating, but I'm looking forward to brewing better beer. And learning a lot along the way.

A partial mash kit of Buffalo Sweat is fermenting now. I will be making a Smashing Pumpkin ale extract kit this month and then hopefully my next beer will be BIAB!!
Electric BIAB brewer. Homemade CraftbeerPi controller.
25gal kettle. 15gal Plastic Conical Fermenter with temp control
Having fun.

Post #8289 made 6 years ago
BMWfan and therevbowring, welcome to the forum. As you put together your systems and start to brew with BIAB, you'll hopefully have questions, and this is the place to get them answered. Make sure that you have read and follow the Clear Brewing Terminology page - using the correct terms in you questions will help others understand your question and get back to you with an answer that will make sense. Here's a link http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

Post #8290 made 6 years ago
Hello BMWFan,

A few things to add to Streamer's comments...

Yes, your first post has to be approved by a moderator, and depending on how available one is to have noticed it. I appreciate the additional info for sure!

From Minnesota... Gets Cold there, for sure! That could be a benefit of having an electric heating element - easier to fashion an indoor brewing system if you brew a lot. I brew with propane on a part covered back patio. Works great most of the time and I love it out there, but there are a few times in the winter when cold - raining / windy, or just extremely cold that I would rather have an indoor setup. You might get more of those days than me...

QUESTIONS & Things to Think About - HERMS Setup:
Are you sure you want to go through with a HERMS setup? Seems like a much more complex setup that will not make better beer and will not give you higher efficiency. In fact, traditional full volume BIAB will likely be a little higher. Some say the wort is a little clearer, but after fermentation and cold crash - beer will not be any clearer. The equipment is "cooler" looking, and for sure is more complicated and will require more time to clean...if that is desired.

As far as tracking beer making process for better repeatability, our BIABacus file along with being diligent with recording benchmark "checkpoints", volumes and gravities with BIAB will do that as well as it can be done.

Some people on here, Mad_Scientist comes to mind, brew inside with some sort of electric heating element. There are some posts on here that could give better advice than me with electric.

When new to this, I loved the thought of a counterflow chiller, and bought one. But I drew the line with a pump - DID NOT want to have to add a pump to my brew day cleaning requirements! The CFC actually worked fairlly well but without a pump was slow to chill, and was kind of a pain to clean. Finally ditched it - sold it to someone else - and built a larger than you can buy immersion chiller. Works great! Much Better!!!

Anyhow, from my perspective simpler is better provided it works well. And traditional full volume BIAB works great! My 16 gallon stainless brew kettle will produce around 8 to 8.5 gallons Volume Into Packaging (VIP - into bottles or keg) of 1.052 OG wort). You have 25 gallon, doing the math that should have you able to brew 12-13 gallons Volume Into Packaging.

I would recommend trying some of the simpler equipment arrangements and then consider if complicating it really is a help... If it improves your beer - great! But if not...

The temp controller will be a big help with having a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. And that, along with ability to "cold crash" will be a big help!

Glad to have you on the board, and like Streamer said, new post on the beginner section with any questions. :luck:
Last edited by Scott on 11 Sep 2017, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8291 made 6 years ago
therevbowring wrote:
6 years ago
Hi all,

I'm a mechanical engineer from Nottingham in England and found the site while googling, trying to work out my plans for my first batch. I've not brewed before, but am in the process of gathering equipment for some mini-BIAB action. Almost there now, so on the verge of buying my first bunch of grain, hops and yeast.
Welcome therevbowring. Look forward to hearing how your first brew day goes. I'd recommend plenty of planning and a checklist for your brew day. The hobby can seem overwhelming when you first make a start. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing your news and questions

Post #8292 made 6 years ago
@BMWFan I've got to agree with Scott your rig seems a bit ambitious and elaborate for your first Biab but good on you for taking on the challenge, hope it works out for you!
My personal path in Biab has been adding more and more elaborate gadgets and processes as I've grown and learned and I think there's less to go wrong/ muddy the waters if things go wrong with this approach.

Looking forward to hearing how you go

Post #8294 made 6 years ago
Inconceivable wrote:
6 years ago

Welcome therevbowring. Look forward to hearing how your first brew day goes. I'd recommend plenty of planning and a checklist for your brew day. The hobby can seem overwhelming when you first make a start. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing your news and questions
Thanks! Yes, planning seems the way to go, trying to get everything clear in my mind and written down before kicking off!

Post #8298 made 6 years ago
Hi to everyone! Mi name is Luis and I am from Argentina, south side of the globe.
I knew of this site for a tutorial of BIAB I've found on the net.
I actually have a full equipment MVA and count seven batches 20L done, using de Simple Infusion Mash method.
I'm interesting in BIAB for doing small batches, calming down the anxiety of waiting a couple of weeks til' I do the next batch, as using it as a tester method as well for tasting different styles.
Thank you very much!
    • MVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Argentina

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 48 guests