Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8176 made 6 years ago
Hi Milesb0801 and welcome!

A loose guideline for kettle size with biab is that you can safely get about half the volume of your kettle into your fermenter. This is for pure full volume biab, there are some things that can be done to get a bit more but usually there is a trade off in efficiency, (as well as effort/extra steps). As far as adapting recipes go, the Biabacus is a great tool for converting recipes to suit your equipment, (and it does all the math for you), and many helpful folks around here if you need some help filling it out.

Happy Brewing!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #8177 made 6 years ago
Hi, all,

New member from Houston, Texas, here (technically Bellaire, Texas, which is an independent city, wholly inside the ever expanding metropolis that is Houston). I've been brewing for about three years. Went BIAB when I switched to all-grain from partial mash plus extract about a year ago. I usually brew 5 gallon (US) batches, and have a three-tap keezer in a shed on the deck in my backyard that I serve from. I had a spell where I couldn't brew earlier this year and am catching up now. The keezer just has one keg with a BIAB maibock that I'm pretty proud of, but it's just about empty. Just kegged and am lagering a Mexican-beach-style international pale lager; efficiency was a bit higher than expected, so it is at the high end of the ABV scale for the style (about 5.9%). Just brewed a Belgian Wit, one of my favorite styles for the Texas summer, which is fermenting now.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8179 made 6 years ago
Hi All,

A few BIABs under my belt, including a saison, adnams ghostship clone and mosaic pale ale. I have been brewing for a year or so, I live and work in London so BIAB works perfectly for me. I look forward to gaining plently more knowledge on this brewing method specifically.

My set up includes a 50L electric kettle, a few 30L FV's and that is about it!

Roll on the imperial stouts and porters, which I am sure there will be plenty of info on here for them!

Kind regards,

Sam :thumbs:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Wales

Post #8180 made 6 years ago
Hi everyone,

Yeah, my first post.

I'm Mike for South Jersey, USA. (Philadelphia suburbs) I work in IT for a non-profit community health center in Phila.

I've been brewing for about 20 years after learning from a roommate in college. I gave it up for a while since I really don't enjoy bottling and storing the bottles. Several years ago I built a keezer and and back to brewing in full force. I mostly do BIAB on my stove top but have bought a burner for out doors use. I found the site while looking for options for for stepping up to 10 gallon batches without needing a lot of extra equipment and somehow ended up here.
    • Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8181 made 6 years ago
Sam and Klutus,

Welcome to the forum! Let us know what questions you have.

Sam - there are lots of recipes on the site but I normally adjust off the Brewing Classic Styles book. Easy to adjust through our BIABacus excel file.

Klatus - I traveled a similar journey as you on the beginning many years back and stepping away because of the bottling process (plus kids, etc.). Anyhow, let us know how we can help! :luck:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8182 made 6 years ago
Thank you for the kind reply - look forward to checking out the forum properly on my lunch break!!

Scott wrote:
6 years ago
Sam and Klutus,

Welcome to the forum! Let us know what questions you have.

Sam - there are lots of recipes on the site but I normally adjust off the Brewing Classic Styles book. Easy to adjust through our BIABacus excel file.

Klatus - I traveled a similar journey as you on the beginning many years back and stepping away because of the bottling process (plus kids, etc.). Anyhow, let us know how we can help! :luck:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Wales

Post #8183 made 6 years ago
Hi

I live up in Cairns Qld... ive been an on and off extract brewer for several years. But felt I was always missing that something. I've just put down my first batch of all grain which is a Citra pale ale, using the BIAB method. Im crash chilling it now and I can't wait to taste the results. I'd like to develop and master a good pale ale and something like a tooheys old ... a couple of good session beers.

I found this forum... and I'd like to say it's been great to research. Loads of ideas and knowledge. So thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Mawson
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

My First Post!

Post #8185 made 6 years ago
Hey guys!

I'm currently residing in Baldivis, Western Australia (40km south of Perth), I'm yet to brew my own beer, whether it all grain or extract. Been apart of a few brew days using the robobrew. I was looking for something a little more compact that consumed less room and less time!
Looking forward to getting involved in the threads and having a read over, and replicating some of the recipes on here!
Cheers,
Rhys

Post #8186 made 6 years ago
Hello fellow brew-heads :headhit:

I'm living in Lexington, KY but grew up in Fairfield, OH; went to college in Mobile, AL; worked in New Orleans, LA (N'Awlenz for any yats that see this); and got married in Baton Rouge, LA. If you are in any of those cities feel free to hit me up and share some memories about the place, I've loved each city in a different way.

I stumbled across this site from HomeBrewTalk.com. I'll most likely not go back there because brewing very small batches is what I do and all grain BIAB is how I enjoy doing it.

I'm a very INexperienced brewer, only done 3 batches. My latest was from a kit, Boston Brew's Chocolate Maple Porter. A+ result. My first two batches were from a 1950's book by a Mr Bravery. I picked up the book at a library sale or a garage sale and am looking forward to trying more of the recipes. My first batches were a Brown Ale and a Bitter. One was great and the other horrid, too bad I brewed them at the same time and the labels fell off so I don't know which one I liked! :?

In a former life I was a computer programmer. Think web programming in COBOL.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8187 made 6 years ago
Welcome Rablacka and Davo1962.

For Both of you, check out stove-top scale BIAB, see http://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=23

Rablacka, read lots on this site, ask questions if things are not clear. Be sure to get the
BIABacus (while logged in) http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869

and read the Clear Brewing Terminology pages. http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

Davo1962 - Kits are fine for learning what to do and what not to do. You have even made good beer! :clap: Next up, all-grain brewing. BIAB is the way to go. COBOL? That came after FORTRAN IV for me a very long ime ago.

If Davo1962 knows where Baldivis is, and Rablacka knows where all those two-letter Staes’ abbreviations are, then I’ll have to chug a pint. I’m learning world geography along with how to brew. Fellow Yanks - two letter State abbreviations don't travel well outside the U.S. :peace:
It’s a big world and it’s beer that brings us together.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8193 made 6 years ago
Hey there brewers!

I'm David (seem to be a few of us on this site), and live in Denver, Colorado, USA. Been brewing for a few years, and mostly that was extract and partial grain. I've recently downsized from 5 gal batches to 2-2.5 gal. I travel a lot for work, and frankly wouldn't get to brew too many batches. 5 gal is a lot of beer, when your not around to drink it.

In addition to down sizing my batches, I wanted to move into all grain, and BIAB is a great way to do this. I can just about do a 2 gal batch (by the math) on the stove top. If I'm doing anything larger, or with a heavy grain bill, I've got to use the 8 gal pot on the propane.

That leads me to where I am today. I'm trying to find out what kind of height I should really have for a false bottom. I'm using a Bayou Classic 8 gal pot. They make a traditional false bottom for the pot https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/produ ... on-800-908, but it sits 3" (7.62 cm) from the base of the kettle. This would mean the that a portion of the water (1.5 gal / 5.68 l) would not be in direct contact with the grain. Is this a problem, or will it affect the outcome much? Should I construct a shorter false bottom, and what is the ideal height?

Looking forward to your replies. Found this site while looking for information on BIAB and listening to the BeerSmith podcast. (I do have BeerSmith) Lots of great information on the site, and it looks to be an active community.

Regards,
Davo
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8194 made 6 years ago
Hi All!

I'm excited to get started, I've been brewing for several years, but have never tried all grain brewing, fearing it was too complicated and expensive, then I found the brew in bag method and was led to this site! Holy smokes, it couldn't be easier! Wicked excited to get started. I'm from the Boston area right now but have lived all over the place, including Denver, Portland, OR, Montana and Seattle.
    • BME Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8195 made 6 years ago
G'day all, first time poster from Western Australia and fairly new to home brewing. I've done a few kits off and on over the years and am now looking to try something new and after reading around the web BIAB seemed a good place to fit was i was looking for. Being fairly green to it all i'm just trying to gather as much knowledge as a i can before jumping in. Look forward to reading through the forum.

Cheers
Mike

Post #8197 made 6 years ago
Hi all,

I'm Richard, from Cumbria in the UK. I found this site whilst looking for a good first recipe for BIAB. Site looks great so far, just need to spend some time reading up on all the great stuff on here.

I've never brewed beer before, only made scrumpy cider and some rhubarb wine before. My wife grew up opposite Jennings brewery and loves the smell of brewing, so when I wanted to brew some beer she told me to go for it. I wanted a straight-forward method but also wanted to dive into all grain rather than extract; BIAB seemed the logical choice.

I work as a teacher, so I'll soon have the summer holiday to get some brews going without having to rush myself.

Looking forward to brewing something tasty!!

Post #8198 made 6 years ago
Welcome to the site, Richard!

Let us know what questions you have. Would recommend using the BIABacus file. And you will want to read the CBT - Clear Brewing Terminology page as well.

My wife does not like the smells of beer being brewed, so I envy you there... ;) Oh well, she has no problem with me Brewing and drinking beer so it works out.

Again, welcome, and let us know if there are any questions. :luck:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 54 guests