so I saw this at my local HBS, it was new to me,
I was wondering about the chemical content

Chemical Name CAS No. Concentration % by Weight
Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate 15630-89-4 30-40%
Trisodium Phosphate 7601-54-9 10-20%
Sodium Metasilicate 6834-92-0 ≤ 5%
Benzenesulfonic acid, mono-C10-13-alkyl
derivs., sodium salt

is any of that reactive with stainless Steel?

they recommend mixing up solution and letting sit in the container for a hour.
was wondering just how it reacts with metal.
Temperance is for those who cannot hold their liquor :drink: :drink:
    • MVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Re: craft master keg cleaner

Post #3 made 7 years ago
yes that s it

If it works, well it may be worth the cost
I am just wondering if it will do anything negative to the SS in a corney

I mean, I am not a chemist,barely past chemistry in college

Post #4 made 7 years ago
It will be just fine in contact with stainless steel, Jamato. Do not worry. The description of it as a mix of alkaline and oxygen cleaners is a good one.

The CAS # comes from Chemical Abstracts Service. It is assigned to lots (millions) of chemicals and sometimes makes looking for information easier due to variations in chemical nomenclature - as in more than one name for the same thing plus trade names.
Sodium percarbonate 
Synonym: Hydrogen peroxide sodium carbonate adduct
Linear Formula: Na2CO3·1.5H2O2
Molecular Weight: 157.01
CAS Number: 15630-89-4

It is also available in plastic tubs of varying sizes near the laundry detergent in stores. If you go that way, make sure that you get only sodium carbonate plus sodium percarbonate without soap or fragrance. Many product names have OXY ____ but some have things you don’t need or want. Read the fine print on the label.
The product you mention also has TSP = trisodium phosphate, which has been around as a cleanser for a long time, although it is rarer now due to the phosphate getting into the planet’s water downstream. It too acts as a base,then a buffer. Too much information? don’t worry about TSP.

Sodium metasilicate
Synonym: Disodium metasilicate, Disodium silicate, Sodium silicate, Sodium silicon oxide
Linear Formula: Na2SiO3
Molecular Weight: 122.06
CAS Number: 6834-92-0

Sodium meta silicate is the sodium salt of silicic acid, It has the functions of emulsifying, dispersing, wetting, osmosis and pH buffering. You can read about it at http://www.chemicalbook.com/CASEN_6834 ... Properties below the chemical structure is a good paragraph about its properties and uses.

Benzenesulfonic acid, mono (chain length) alkyl derivatives, sodium salt comes last in the ingredients list, so it should be present in the smallest amount. It is a soap. No worry needed. Read your shampoo label, there will probably be one of them there.It is not benzene even though it has it in its name.

I used to live near Chem Abstracts in Ohio and took one course from a nomenclature expert who worked there. It is extremely esoteric, not for the faint of heart. I am glad to be retired.

I use sodium carbonate / sodium per carbonate to sanitise. It works for me. One hour contact time should be the longest you would need, so just choose to rinse after that. Shorter contact times work, but it depends on what you are trying to get rid of.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Thanks Shorepoints
that really helps, especially where to get it cheap, they want a ton for it
I figure if that works it saves me a lot of scrubbing. I use kegs for both serving and secondary.

What I like about here is not only the info based on experience but strait forward.

Post #6 made 7 years ago
ShorePoints always writes excellent posts :thumbs:.

Only thing I'll add, for newer readers, is that the final step in any cleaning/sanitisation process should be a "no-rinse" sanitiser.

So, time, temperature, agitation and chemicals that act as wetting agents, usually alkalines, all assist cleaning (the removal of solids). No-rinse sanitisers (usually, if not always, acids) not only reduce bacteria concentration to a safe level, they also strip off the micro-film left by detergent, a film that can harbour bacteria at unsafe levels.

Probably a better explanation than I've given in this thread.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 7 years ago
OK, PP corrected me :salute: in that cleaning comes first, followed by saniitising. An acidic sanitizer before use is a the best way.
You can tell that your glassware is clean when water runs off leaving no drops behind. If you touch the outside of a really clean bottle, it has a kind of dryness to it that is hard to explain. I stopped cleaning glassware using environmentally unsound agents and another method that kept making my glassware lighter over time (dissolved the glass). Follow the sound advice here http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47 for best practice.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 7 years ago
I used the stuff today
put it in and one hour later it had done an amazing job just sitting there, I finished the cleaning with a brush and sponge having to add no new cleaner.
I then rinsed twice and then used starsan as a no rinse sanitizer. It came out nice.

Next time I am just buying the oxicleaner everyone posted about, this was a bit pricey. I have to say it is worth it, but if I can get the same stuff for a lot less then I will.

What amazed me was I grabbed a keg I had gotten years ago and had never used to try it out on, my last one from the days of free corneys, I was fearing a 2 hour scrub fest with some heavy chemicals, but this stuff went through it with about 2 minutes of scrubbing, after about an hour of soaking.

Return to “Cleaning and Sanitisation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 7 guests