First go biabacus and scaling

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hi, have chosen this recipe to be my first as the ingredients are available at my online shop.

the original recipe is this.

5.3 kg pale malt
300g crystal
300g carapil
73g cascade pellots

14g@60min
14g@30min
28g@15

Irish moss @10mins.

Sorry I cant give credits for this recipe, I found it on the net before I found this site.
But it was a video of a couple of oldish Aussies from a brew shop I think. Looked for again but couldnt find it..
BIABacus PR1.3T - Blank Style - Blank Name - Batch A0.xls
I am not sure what else I should fill in.. but in the guide it said those 5 things are enough.
I also tried to scale the recipe for 10lt with the calculator. I am not sure on a few points .
The calculator says water required 18.7 lts. Do I input this number into the biabacus where it says where it says total water needed (TWN)?

The ingredients I basically just halfed, but the crystal I put 200g because I have 200g.

I have a 23lt fermentor (coopers) now and a 10lt square one on the way, I want to do 10lts as I want to try CC and maybe lagers,
and this is the only size that will fit in my little fridge.

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: First go biabacus and scaling

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Hi Clackers ;),

Sorry you haven't got an answer yet. Usually you would but occasionally the site goes through a few days where questions get left longer than normal. I've had a very long day unfortunately (usually I'd be able to write more) but will try and give you a few quick pointers...

1. Forget The Calculator. It's old and irrelevant now
2. In Section B, you have 1050.000 on the first line. Change that to 1.050 (and, it actually goes in the left hand cell)

The real thing you need to do though is find a recipe with "integrity." Most recipes you find on the internet are badly written; they just don't have enough information. So, your first job is to be able to identify a recipe that has integrity. To be able to do this, first read the following...

A Perfect Example of a Low Integrity Recipe
Clear Brewing Terminology

After reading those, you'll probably be able to see how it is far more usual to come across recipes that make no sense then those that are sensible.

Basically, let us know what sort of beer you'd like to brew and we'll come up with a sensible, safe recipe for you.

Cheers,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Thanks, PistolPatch.

I have read those posts, and will need to re-read a few times to get it to sink in. It is hard to find a decent recipe that fits, as you said.
You mention several times in multiple threads that the VAW is the most important number, can I just confirm as to the why?

Is it that everyones equipment is different, size of pot, heat thats able to be applied and all that that affects evaporation rate.
And the VAW is the number that can/ should be measured when when brewing inorder to allow others to correctly adjust a recipe
to thier needs, and determine total water needed, water needed for the boil?

you mentioned that you (someone) could come up with a recipe for me. I`d love to take you up on that offer. I was going to brew the
NRB'S All Amarillo APA or one from the commentary but I am unable to get Amarillo at the moment at least.
I have translated as best I could the grains that my online shop has. The site is quite vague, I tried speaking on the phone. Didn`t work.
Hop you don`t mind me posting all the grains and hops they have?

Hops.. Czech saaz, N.Zealand sazz, German Tettang, US Fuggles, US nugget, German hersbrucker, German hallertau
US Cascade, Galena, German northern brewer.

Grain, this is from their page of pre-crushed graian. Starting with Weyermann grains with their ECB numbers

Pilsner 3-4, pale ale 5-7, munich 12-17, viena 5-8, caramel 60-80, caramel 300-400, caraamber 60-80, carapils 3-5,

chocolate 800-900, roasted barley 1100-1200, melanoidin malt 60-80, carahell 25-40,

German ラオホ 4-8 (Raoho)? couldn`t translate/ find this one, rye light 6-10, carared 40-60, wheat 3.5-4.5.

Then thay have a few grains that are not listed as Weyermann. No brand name mentioned anywhere.

north american base malt 3.8, german base malt 3.3, English ale malt 8.3, german munich malt 27, caramel malt 55-85/ 130-170,

roast malt no ECB given, wheat malt 4.5, crisp pale ale 4-6.

grain page is http://www.sakeland.net/?mode=cate&cbid=1658133&csid=5 this page is for under 4kg crushed, they also have a page for over
4kg or whole grains.

yeast is also limited to dry.

morgans American, English ale yeast.
brew cellers, premium lager, premium ale, europen lager, wheat.
safale s-04, us-05, wb-o6, w34/70, s-23, s-33.

I have a wheat beer going now, a kit hopefully my last. and at the moment I don`t have a thermostat for my frigde, so lagers are out.
Temperatures now are a pretty steady between 20-24 C. I have a fermenting cupboard so can keep temps. below 24. Warming up now.
Any Ale recipe will do, just to get my experience going.

Sorry for the long post,
Marcus.

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Hey Marcus, if you like Pale Ales, you could do the All Amarillo Pale recipe, and use the US Cascade your shop has available instead of Amarillo. Certainly not a direct substitute, but still a tasty hop. Just leave the hop section with the amarillo as is and put your cascade along with its AA% on the right hand side (and the enter the minutes the same as they are on the left) and Biabacus will adjust things for you.

For the Grain Bill, you can use Pale Ale malt for the base malt (first grain entry), your shop has the munich so no sub required there, and the caramel 60-80 should work fine for the cara-amber. Again, it won't be quite the same, but in my opinion it will still make a good beer...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Hi Clackers,
I have been using recipes from Brewing Classic Styles.
They provide all the information you need to fill out the BIABACUS which will scale to your kettle volumes.
Using the BIABACUS to adapt BCS recipes has given
good results through my first year of brewing.
Good luck.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 7 years ago
Thanks Robertz64,
Actually I was looking through different threads last night and found the thread about how to convert BCS recipes to BIAB.
First thing I did was go to Amazon JP. and they had it. Purchased and waiting now. Got my mash bag in the post yesterday too.
So now I need a recipe and then to order the ingredients, plan the brew day. BIAB is getting exciting.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 71 guests