Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8052 made 7 years ago
Bradley & Chelsea,

Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of excellent information available here.

For sure - to help improve your process I would recommend the BIABacus Excel file. It's a great help for organizing your brewing process, and helping you know what you're going to get with your beer. For sure you will want to explore the Clear Brewing Terminology thread as well, as it explains what the different terms in the file actually mean.

Let us know if there are any questions, and for sure - let us know how it goes!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8053 made 7 years ago
Evening All, :salute:

Just wanted to say hi after being recommended your site from one of the brewers in our local Homebrew Club. I have recently purchased an electric boiler, PECO, and had settled on using DME plus steeping grains but since reading a few of the articles on here I am really looking forward to brewing my first BIAB with all grains.

For the last 12 months I have been brewing kits and have had some very good beers but have found myself getting more interested in the real brewing process, hence the reason for the electric boiler.

Being from the UK we are spoilt with breweries and one in Stoke upon Trent in particular brews a Plum Porter, using Plum Extract, and so I am going to take a Fullers London Porter recipe and make it a plum porter, a bit of an experiment for my first BIAB but what can go wrong :argh:

Anyway thanks for the site and I will let you know how I progress.

Cheers

Dan
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8055 made 7 years ago
Hi from Sunny Southern California!
I currently reside in Huntington Beach, California (Surf City USA). I've been home brewing for somewhere around 15 years, the exact date has been lost in time. I am an extract brewer using home made recipes and have never had the capital or time (due to being a busy civil engineer) to switch to all-grain.

However, after a few year absence from home brewing due to moving, having children, etc... I jumped back in with both feet this last weekend. I was talking with a fellow home brewing buddy and after I told him I started brewing again he of course asked all the normal questions, "what ya making, what grains, hops, yeast, etc..." I told him extract and he exclaimed... "Why aren't you doing a BIAB yet?" I had no idea what he was talking about so I started googling around and finally ended up here. My next batch is definitely going to be a BIAB and I can't wait!

Cheers!
    • BME Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8056 made 7 years ago
Hello Bzart,

Welcome to the forum! BIAB should be a nice step up for you. If you are diligent and make good beer with extract, following the same MO should be able to make even better full grain beer. It can be as difficult or as easy as you want it to be... Most of us would recommend using the BIABacus file. Excel based file. Following that, the Clear Brewing Terminology page is very helpful.

BIABacus File:
http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... 30d86b5df6

Clear Brewing Terminology:

Look around... There is a ton of excellent, high quality info on this site. Feel free to ask questions, and let us know how it goes for you!
Last edited by Scott on 04 Apr 2017, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8058 made 7 years ago
Hi,

I’m from Sweden.
I’ve ended up here a few times reading up on BIAB but thought I’d dig a little deeper.
I recently brewed my second BIAB and totally overshot my OG after trying to fit a
21 liter batch with a 5.5 kg grain bill into a 36 liter pot :thumbs:
There's a lot of great information here, if I can find it ;)
I work as a software developer.

cheers

Jonathan
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Sweden

Post #8059 made 7 years ago
thorre wrote:
7 years ago
Hi,

I’m from Sweden.
I work as a software developer.

cheers

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,

Today this forum got two new members from Europe ! Welcome onboard !

I also develop a little although not exactly my job. Have a look to my "Android Biab system"

Seems that Beer and DIY are well represented here !
JP
Last edited by freedom2000 on 04 Apr 2017, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From France

Post #8060 made 7 years ago
Welcome Freedom (and you too Jonathan).

Please do look around, as there is a ton of high quality info here.

PistolPatch has been working for most of the past year on a drastically improved site that will make it easier to find information. Haven't seen it yet but am excited to...

Looks like both of you are very technical - in one way or the other. Glad to have you on here and hope to see you contribute.

Let us know how it goes, and if there are any questions.
Last edited by Scott on 04 Apr 2017, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8062 made 7 years ago
Scott wrote:
7 years ago
Hello Bzart,
... Most of us would recommend using the BIABacus file. Excel based file. Following that, the Clear Brewing Terminology page is very helpful.

BIABacus File:

Clear Brewing Terminology:

Look around... There is a ton of excellent, high quality info on this site. Feel free to ask questions, and let us know how it goes for you!
Hi all,

I have tried to follow these links to get Biabacus, but I dont' see it and further more as soon as I get to these pages I am disconnected and can't reconnect on these pages.
All the other pasges of this site seem to work fine .
Is there a limitation to access Biabacus ?

Thanks
JP

Post #8063 made 7 years ago
Hi JP,

The website is having some problems where each time I log on, I have to re-log in. Log in again... And when I go to the link, getting the same issue... I went to the actual page after logging in and it worked. You have to be logged in to see these pages, but for some reason the website is logging us out at certain times. I will let Pat know.

If you have problems, make sure you are logged in, then go to the BIAB for new members section and both of the links are on the first page. Under "Topics", one is the 1st topic listed, the other is the 4th topic listed. You can get to these in this manner. And there are many other topics here you will likely find very interesting as well.

Scott
Last edited by Scott on 06 Apr 2017, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8065 made 7 years ago
Scott wrote:
7 years ago
Hi JP,

If you have problems, make sure you are logged in, then go to the BIAB for new members section and both of the links are on the first page. Under "Topics", one is the 1st topic listed, the other is the 4th topic listed. You can get to these in this manner. And there are many other topics here you will likely find very interesting as well.

Scott
Hi Scott,

It worked magically following your exact procedure :thumbs: :clap: :salute: :champ:

Thanks !
JP

Post #8066 made 7 years ago
Scott wrote:
7 years ago
one is the 1st topic listed, the other is the 4th topic listed. You can get to these in this manner. And there are many other topics here you will likely find very interesting as well.

Scott
I spent 1hour reading the Clear Brewing Terminology. It is a fantastic job done, soooo clear for noobs as I am

Really thank you for all the efforts put into this forum
JP

PS : I already found a big mistake done in my first brew... --> (Do not cover your kettle with a lid to try and reduce evaporation. Read this note NEEDSLINK.)

Post #8068 made 7 years ago
Hey all. I've only been brewing for about a year now and have so far brewed 2 passable extract beers. I've been a beer nerd for a while and figured I would take the next step and brew my own. I'm in Michigan and just found out that it's a very large hobby here. Just recently I've collected enough equipment to do BIAB and I've been doing research on it for weeks trying to learn the ins and outs. I'm eager to get started on my first BIAB but I'm currently working on finishing up my converted chest freezer so I can keg.

This seems like one of the better BIAB forums as I've been linked here multiple times from blog posts and other forums. I've seen tons of calculators online for BIAB but the BIABacus is referenced numerous times. Only downside is that because I haven't done BIAB before, I don't know any of my variables like efficiency, trub loss, and boil off rate so I'm sure I'll need to tweak those to get it right. Given all that, I'm sure I'm being wayyyyyyyy too technical like always so it'll probably be better for me to just brew something than do hours of research on techniques I'm not even close to doing.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8069 made 7 years ago
Greetings to both TWR and lv094. You have found the right place for migrating from extract brewing to all-grain grewing. There is a ton of information here as well as help for when you have questions. Read the Clear Brewing Terminology so that we speak the same language and try the BIABacus spreadsheet. That is, log in and download a file, enter your kettle dimensions. Then you can enter a recipe on the left side (enter one you have found or make one up) and you will get the amounts for your kettle on the right side. It might take 30 minutes to get a feel for how it works, but it is worth it. You need not worry about efficiencies or transfer losses to start brewing, the BIABacus provides estimates prior to your start and after you enter your actual brewing experiences, you get new numbers. You will find repeated advice in this forum about not getting fixated on efficiency. Relax, learn, brew, wait for fermentation, and have a beer.

lv094 - I happen to know a farmer in Hart who grows hops. Michigan is a big source of hops lately.
Last edited by ShorePoints on 08 Apr 2017, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8071 made 7 years ago
Welcome bebilja,

You have came to the right place! The BIAB process can be as loose and basic, or as complex as you want. Most of us use the BIABacus Excel file to help out our brewing and consistency and I would recommend it, but certainly you don't have to. Let us know if you have any questions.
Last edited by Scott on 08 Apr 2017, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8072 made 7 years ago
Hi All,
My name is Dave, and I am 2 year brewer from West Milford, NJ. I've done mostly LME / specialty grain kits from Brewers Best, and mostly from Northern Brewer. I've done 3 of their BIAB 3 gallon kits, and liked that so much I got a new 10 gallon pot to switch to 5 gallon BIAB.

I did a search for BIAB so that I could figure out how to adapt kits meant for traditional all grain, and get an appropriate OSG with my single pot approach. I am very excited to try the BIABcalculator - although that means I have to get off my ipad and borrow the wife's laptop so I can run excel !!! (I'd rather not do this on my work computer... I am sure y'all understand).

Yep. I work for a Chemical company, but I am educated as a mechanical engineer. I develop catalysts for off road diesel engines - oxidation catalysts, soot filters, SCRs, etc. As you can guess, there are quite a few home brewers at work.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #8073 made 7 years ago
I've joined a couple of months ago and have obviously posted my first post in the wrong place. I'm from Melbourne Australia and am now brewing Mini BIAB with a 19L kettle - hoping to upgrade to a larger burner in the next few months and use a typical BIAB configuration. I like American Pale Ales with a citrus hops aroma. I've been having issues with getting the water requirements / grain bills correct for the mini configuration and would love to get a calculator that will help with the adjustments in scaling.

Cheers,

joel
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Post #8074 made 7 years ago
Hi from Central Louisiana,

I have been homebrewing for last three years or so and I have brewed roughly 50 batches of beer using extract and 3 vessel All Grain methods thus far. I live in an area where access to craft beer is limited so I really enjoy homebrewing.

I have been using a mismatch of repurposed equipment for my 5 gallon brew days but I have been exploring the option to brew larger batches without perhaps as much expense in equipment purchases and simplify my brewing day a bit.

I am looking forward to being a part of BIAB community and expanding my brewing skills!
    • MVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8075 made 7 years ago
Dave, Joel, and lalla,

Welcome to the forum!

Joel - you already had posted on the proper sub-forum intro page. I think Mad_Scientist misunderstood that when he responded to your other post. And the BIABacus file will do exactly what you want, with scaling to smaller batches if you want. Give it a shot, play with the file and make sure to review the Clear Brewing Terminology page. Let us know if there are questions. Feel free to post a new subject on the beginners page and clearly state title, questions, etc... Someone will be along to help you.

Links:
BIABacus Link: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... 05de7b3c71
Clear Brewing Terminology: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... 05de7b3c71

Dave - good job on getting the new pot and equipment. If you had asked me before, I probably would have suggested a 15-16 gallon pot size for brewing 5.5 gallon (into fermenter, VIF) batches of beer. Larger pot would give greater flexibility if you wanted to push a batch closer to 10 gallons on occasion and also greater flexibility if you wanted to brew a large OG beer such as a big IPA or big stout. 10 gallon will certainly work for 5 gallon batches but you will be running closer to the max capabilities of the system.

As far as your kit idea, my recommendation is to get the BCS book as we call it (Brewing Classic Styles), and use the BIABacus to scale to your system. We can help if questions...it's very easy, and BCS book recipes are of high quality.

Lalla - BIAB makes all the sense in the world and is super easy. Look around on the site. There is a ton of excellent info. Let us know if there are any questions.

Again - best of luck and let us know how we can help! :luck:

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 43 guests