Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #7857 made 7 years ago
Hi all!
Name is Alex. I'm from Lancaster, PA. Work in Nuclear Security at one of the many nuclear power plants in the area. 

Recently started brewing this fall. First brew was an extract kit. I quickly wanted to get into all-grain, and started making plans to convert some coolers and what not. Decided to slow down a bit and try BIAB first... and now here I am. I discovered this site while reading an article on BIAB over at brulosophy. 

My first BIAB is currently fermenting, so we'll see how it turns out. 
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #7861 made 7 years ago
Hello!  My name is Mike from the Buffalo NY (USA) area.  I have been extract brewing for about 16 years, a few times a year, I also do hard cider.  I think I am finally upgrading to all grain (even though I have been learning about, and helping friends, for years with all grain). I have been intrigued by BIAB for a few years now since seeing a brew demo at the LBS, and think I am starting down that road, which lead me to this site.  I know alot of the brew fundamentals already, and understand the BIAB process, looking forward to putting that into practice soon.  I need to get a bigger pot for sure, and was having some issues with my burner last time around so I need to verify that I don't need a new one, and pick up some bags soon.  Until then, I have some more reading to do!
    • Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #7862 made 7 years ago
Hey Mike - So nice when you yanks specify where you're from, as your two-letter state abbreviations mean nothing to us down under!
Welcome!
I would love to know more about brewing "hard" cider (over here, all cider is alcoholic - what, to you, is plain cider - apple juice???)
Burner is a very important part of your set-up, nothing more frustrating than not being able to reach those mash/boil temps!
Happy reading - there's a wealth of information on this site, and we work hard to try to make it as easy-to-find as possible, but if you get stuck, just ask.
Cheers,
Sarah :drink:
No BIPs? Get them while they're hot!
    • FWK Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #7864 made 7 years ago
Welcome aboard Adam. Space etc., is a good reason to BIAB. Lots of others... less stuff to clean, simplified process compared to multi vessel, and the list goes on. You have found the right place to get you started, tons of info and many experienced brewers around  this  forum to help. If you can't find an answer just ask.

Happy Brewing!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #7865 made 7 years ago
Elliot from Chicago here. Getting in my first post!

Bit about me:
Microbiologist by training (though that isn't what I do anymore), so fermenting, sterile technique, etc. aren't exactly new concepts. Wine and other fermented foods in the past, but I'm relatively new to brewing beer. Just two batches in at the moment. BB extract kit on the first; extracts plus hand picked hops on the second. Shifting to BIAB for the next and for the foreseeable future after that. I have a known tendency to jump into things too fast. I don't do, I overdo. I'm trying to avoid that here. So, I decided to try a couple of extract-based beers before transitioning into whole grain.

Back in my grad school days, I got fairly involved in wine making, but my focus these days is on beer. Hoppy IPA's, porters, stouts, though my tastes certainly are not restricted to those styles. 

I'm also an avid DIY'er. Whenever possible and cost-effective, I'd rather build it myself. Homebrewing seems like a place where I can really go to town on that. I was tempted to start in on builds for a multi-vessel setup, but BIAB seems like a much more logical approach to me.

Looking forward to the adventure and thankful for the opportunity to "tap into" the collected wisdom of those that have gone before me!

Elliot
Last edited by mendelec on 06 Jan 2017, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.
    • Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #7866 made 7 years ago
Hello all!  My name is Brian and I'm from Atlanta Georgia.  I've been brewing for about 7 years, although I've only brewed twice in the last year due to our second child being born last January.  I'm in the process of converting my 3-vessel gravity fed system to electric to hopefully save some time to enable more brew days.  I've also been looking into making my system more portable, and BIAB seems to be the best bet, which led me here!  I was actually searching for calculators and found a bunch of people recommending the BIABacus, which I will be downloading soon.

Thanks!
    • MVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7868 made 7 years ago
A big Hello to Elliot from Chicago, Brian from Atlanta and Alfi0s (wherever you may be).

This is the place to apply whatever you bring to brewing and learn more. And if you are just beginning BIAB, read lots here and download the BIABacus, then spend about a half hour with it. That will make your next brew day simpler. If you have questions, ask and someone will get an answer back to you.

Elliot - you already know what to do to avoid problems due to your winemaking experience. With the right size kettle and bag, you can focus on the brewing process without excess equipment and what that entails. You can keep it as simple as it can be, or add gizmos galore.

Brian - BIAB brew days will take less time overall and cleanup will be easier than with 3 vessels and its stuff. Fill out the BIABacus and  if you have questions post it on the forum before you purchase ingredients.

Alfi0s - read lots, ask questions, visualize your steps before starting, keep good notes and you will get beer!  :drink:
Last edited by ShorePoints on 06 Jan 2017, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7869 made 7 years ago
ShorePoints wrote:A big Hello to Elliot from Chicago, Brian from Atlanta and Alfi0s (wherever you may be).

This is the place to apply whatever you bring to brewing and learn more. And if you are just beginning BIAB, read lots here and download the BIABacus, then spend about a half hour with it. That will make your next brew day simpler. If you have questions, ask and someone will get an answer back to you.

Elliot - you already know what to do to avoid problems due to your winemaking experience. With the right size kettle and bag, you can focus on the brewing process without excess equipment and what that entails. You can keep it as simple as it can be, or add gizmos galore.

Brian - BIAB brew days will take less time overall and cleanup will be easier than with 3 vessels and its stuff. Fill out the BIABacus and  if you have questions post it on the forum before you purchase ingredients.

Alfi0s - read lots, ask questions, visualize your steps before starting, keep good notes and you will get beer!  :drink:
Thanks!  Is it safe to assume the first file link of the BIABacus is the latest?  Just making sure since the post says it's a preview.
    • MVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7870 made 7 years ago
Yes, the latest version is PR1.3T and the spreadsheet typically has lots of green, no longer the yellow areas as in the past. 
Hang around for a while, there are changes in the forum layout coming this year. If the BIABacus gets updated too, there will be plenty of notice given - however, it will always be a dynamic thing. Always save it with .xls file extension in the name.
Last edited by ShorePoints on 07 Jan 2017, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7871 made 7 years ago
Hey everyone!
Been brewing extract for a while but just about to take the plunge into BIAB using a 30L Burco.
I'm from Pontypridd in the UK. Found this site when researching how to start full grain brewing! It's full of so much info but feeling a bit overwhelmed and confused at the moment! 
Hoping to find a nice first time BIAB method to get myself going!
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Wales

Post #7872 made 7 years ago
Welcome joethomas800m - Read lots of things on this site first, even if it takes hours. That will serve you better than a brew day and two weeks of waiting to find out you missed something. 
There is a good first try recipe for NRB's All Amarillo APA on the source page where you can download the BIABacus  
I eventually got around to trying it when shooting for a paler ale than I usually make and it works well. I found that it improved (I bottle, not keg) after week 5 in storage, but it was OK even before that. It was first described as "Well-made, but boring," and later as "So much better, are you sure it is the same batch?"
Enter your kettle dimensions in Section B and see what the BIABacus does, then post your file for comments or help.

Post #7873 made 7 years ago
Hi, 
I'm Steve and originally from NE Tennessee, in the US.

I've been brewing for years, switched to BIAB about 18 months ago, and recently converted from gas to an electric kettle.
Right now, my focus is on improving efficiency in brew day, dialing in the mashing process on my new kettle, and learning more about my local water profile and the effects it has on the finished product.

Post #7875 made 7 years ago
Hello, Steve, 8MoreMiles. There's a world of info on electric kettle brewing on the site where you can pick up tips for using your new equipment. It looks like you already have experience and can maybe pass along what you learn about mashing and water profiles. Ask questions about what you don't know, share what you do.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 48 guests