Post #301 made 8 years ago
Gpupu - not sure what stage of the brewing process you are at and hop additions...sounds like all done? This could screw up the effect of your hops (finishing hops, etc.) - but could you extend the boil for more evaporation / higher OG? If in your situation I might consider this to get a higher OG. I did this on one batch I was low on for 20-30 min extra. Figured it gave me a few extra points of OG. Just an idea...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #302 made 8 years ago
Does Biabacus take in account the mash temp when calculating the AVB? and also I noticed that no matter how much sugar i add into bill ,even with the added sugar info in section Y (100% and 0 moisture), i cant see any impact on ABV. i added a letter B in grain bill column and all.

Post #303 made 8 years ago
Toca - The BIABacus doesn't account for wort fermentability, that area is just too vague to even calculate IMHO.

When you add more sugar have you noticed your grain amounts are getting less though?
It is trying to keep your OG as stated in section C, and therefore, ABV will not increase (I presume you already know this but just thought I would mention it).

If you think your wort fermentability is going to be different from default, you will have to alter the attenuation setting in section H to a higher percentage.
Bear in mind though that this is just a guide. Your wort & yeast will end up at what it is regardless of these settings.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #304 made 8 years ago
In the latest version of BIABacus (1.3T), is there an error in the top field for "Bottles Req" in section Q Packaging? It seems the formula has been replaced by a `.

[edit]1.3T was the correct version, not 1.3K[/edit]
Last edited by hojt on 17 Nov 2015, 03:52, edited 2 times in total.

Post #306 made 8 years ago
Thank you joshua, but that is the version I am viewing.

I'm importing it into google sheets, could this be the issue?

The strange thing is that a previous version (PR 1.3) shows the formula for this field...?

Post #307 made 8 years ago
I am not sure about the Google Sheets, as I use LibreOffice 4.3.

The Formulas from PR1.3K may not be the same as PR1.3T.

Some users have changed the Formulas and that damages many sections of the Spreadsheet,
so it is best leave the Formulas as they are.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #308 made 8 years ago
Google Sheets does not handle the BIABacus. Even though there are no macros in it, there are nests and nests of "if/then" statements which are beyond Google Sheets capabilities. Grab yourself a copy of LibreOffice is the best thing to do. Also....

If using LibreOffice, always save the file as .xls, never as an.ods as it buggers up all the cell protection and can lead to a compromised file.

;)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #310 made 8 years ago
Im using a biabacaus for a while now, and i must say it is an unmatched tool so far. wonderful, clear, articulate. One thing that puzzles me thoug is the GAW (gravity of ambient wort) in section M.
For example, i usually add about liter into fermentor since im limited by my kettle size.
Is GAW refering to gravity of ambient wort before adding water into fermentor or gravity of the wort into pitching yeast ,which in fact would correspond a typical OG?
this is the last unknown part for me. SO i really need it cleared. cause different values tottaly change my efficiencies.

[ADMIN NOTE: Please jump forward to this post to avoid confusion.]
Last edited by Toca on 30 Nov 2015, 05:20, edited 2 times in total.

Post #311 made 8 years ago
The GAW is the gravity of the cooled Wort.

Adding make-up water, will dilute the GAW. BIABACUS will adjust the the "estimated" VAW, if you entered the Water addition in Section 'W'.

FWIW,

Post #313 made 8 years ago
Toca, your Numbers appear to be Very Good, Nearly exact to BIABACUS projections.

Well Done
Last edited by joshua on 30 Nov 2015, 06:45, edited 2 times in total.

Post #315 made 8 years ago
One other thing..How does Biabacus calulate EAW and EIF? Can someone post a formula?
i tried the usual Kettle efficiency formula for EAW but got very high numbers..
for example, recipe above..VIB 21,7Lit * GIB 43 =933,1
VAW 16,3Lit* GAW 57 = 929
929/933*100=99,57% :nup:

Post #316 made 8 years ago
99.57% is well within the accuracy we can achieve in our kitchen/garage Toca.

To put it another way; If we take your VAW & GAW as being perfectly correct.
To get 100% match you would have to measure your gravity to 1.0572 or volume to 16.37L.

I don't see a problem here.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #317 made 8 years ago
But how come biabacus says in section P, that EAW is estimated 78,7% and actual 83,7?
i assume that EAW is a combo of pre boil and post boil figures ,in the same vain as what people usualy call kettle efficency.
Or i missed something?

Post #321 made 8 years ago
Most, if not all of the questions asked since post #310 above can be answered by reading the Clear Brewing Terminology (CBT) thread. Other definitions over the internet are not clear or are contradictory. Please study that sticky and refer brewers onto it as much as possible as it is to side-step confusion.

[Please note that Hints does not reply to direct questions.]
Last edited by Hints on 02 Dec 2015, 14:48, edited 2 times in total.

Post #322 made 8 years ago
OK, stupid question - how does Biabacus know from my grain bill in section C how much sugar it will extract ? ie how does it know the amount for a pale ale vs crystal etc ? I'm guessing its either to do with the EBC or they all extract a similar amount ?

I did search the site for this but couldn't find an answer - I have found stuff on where to add sugars etc (which is very useful).

Cheers

Post #323 made 8 years ago
Toga: Is everything a bit clearer to you now? If not, I wrote some stuff on efficiency a couple of days ago here.

dom: Great question ;). There's two ways the BIABacus can "guess" how many sugars are available in your grain. Let me explain why I am using the word "guess" as this applies to all software.

[center]Working out how much "sugar" is available in a recipe"[/center]
The home brewer actually has no way of knowing the real amount of "sugars" in his/her malt bill.

The amount of "sugars" available from a malt differ from year to year and even from malting to another. The maltster issues a grain specification sheet for each malting but most home brewers will find it hard or impossible to obtain a grain specification sheet for even the base malts they purchase. Even if you were able to obtain grain specification sheets for all the malts you bought for your batch, you still wouldn't know the moisture content at time of brewing unless you own a moisture meter so your prediction could, straight away, easily be at least a few percent out.

The first thing to recognise is that it is a bit of a myth that home brewers can know the amount of "sugar" available in a brew.

How other software gets around this - ambiguity etc.

Most software avoids the brewer thinking about the above by providing a generic value of a malts "sugar" value. It's very hard to find agreement on these values from one bit of software to another and where there is agreement, it is pretty obvious that one bit of software has copied directly from an older one. Another way that the software can get around it is to use very loose terminology or undefined terminology. For example, "Yield", is the term used in the most widely used software out there but that term is undefined and meaningless. In that software, when you change the moisture content of a malt it makes absolutely no change to the estimates. This is, without question, a critical and basic error.

How the BIABacus deals with this - Advanced Method

If you did have a Grain Specification Sheet and did know the moisture content of the malt, then The BIABacus is the only software (I've given up on checking up on other software) that enables you to enter that information properly and unambiguously via Section Y. As a user though, I would only ever consider using Section Y if my recipe had some ingredient in it that was out of the ordinary for an all-grain recipe such as malt extract or raw sugar because...

How the BIABacus deals with this - Default Method

What we did in the early days was run a lot of recipes through other software until we came up with an average "sugar prediction" for an average recipe. We then used this default in "The Calculator" (the pre-cursor to The BIABacus). Over the years, we have repeated this exercise many times against other software and found that, on all-grain recipes, there was very little variance. Since The BIABacus, we have been able to test further by seeing what differences there were on a recipe if we overrode our default by using Section Y. The difference on all-grain recipes was totally insignificant. (Try it yourself!)

[center]Conclusion[/center]
Just stick with The BIABacus defaults unless your recipe has some very sugary ingredients in it or if you know that your particular base grain is known widely as being a bit dodgy, or particulary "out of spec" for that type of malt.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 17 Dec 2015, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #324 made 8 years ago
Thanks for that, so in essence all malts (including specialty) are treated the same regarding yield in the default section (C) unless you override it in section Y?
Cheers

Post #325 made 8 years ago
Yep ;).

As mentioned above, if you can get access to some clear specs, test out some all-grain recipes using both Section Y and the default and you'll see the default works very nicely.

Don't use specs from other software as they are ambiguous. Instead, go directly to a malster's site such as Briess where the individual average or current malt specifications are clear and can be easily copied into The BIABacus.

From memory, I think to date I've never got more than a two percent difference in all-grain recipes but I tink this was when comparing them to BeerSmith where I had to assume that Yield meant a certain thing. Be interesting to see a few BIABAcus recipes posted here with just the default and then using Briess numbers in Section Y. I'm sure I would have done that but really can't remember.

:think:
PP

P.S. Maybe try some of the Briess recipes out?
Last edited by PistolPatch on 17 Dec 2015, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 6 guests