Copper pipe for chiller

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Hi guys, just a simple question.
Is there a specific type of copper pipe to ask for when building a chiller? I hear that air conditioning piping is often used. Surely these pipes are not made for the food industry and some may contain harmfull substances used in the manufacturing process?

Thx
Braailus

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Post #2 made 8 years ago
You need the copper pipe used in home construction. Your drinking water comes through it and is totally safe. There is a flexible grade that comes in rolls. Appliance stores often have it for fridge hookups,,, I think.
AWOL

Post #3 made 8 years ago
The fridge copper is a smaller diameter. I've used it in the past to build a counterflow chiller.
I love to diy my homebrew equipment but honestly with the cost of pre made chillers being reasonable and the pain it is to build some of these things; I'd look at just buying one.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Good Day, Where I am Located, our "Big Box" Store...Home Depot, carries Type 'R' copper tubing to 5/8" O.D.-1/2" I.D. For Home Plumbing.

Definately Food Safe.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 8 years ago
I've used copper break lines (for cars) that came in a 5 meter roll.
Bottled: Ruabeoir, Dry Stout, American amber, Green Bullet/Vienna SMaSH, Black Bear IPA.
Fermenting: Empty (!)
Planned: Dodeca, Laphroaig oak ale.

Post #8 made 8 years ago
Was looking to build a counter flow wort chiller last December but bought one from homebrew shop in New York (online) for about $100US. Works well. A pump would make it work better but I just use gravity flow. One less thing to clean.

With costing out all the materials, seems like I was pushing $100, and then it would still have to be built. For what it is worth...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #9 made 8 years ago
Heat exchanger complete and used in our 2nd brew today. Rolling boil to 21 deg in 15 mins using tap water. Very happy with the end result.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Braailus

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Return to “Chilling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 19 guests