Dry hop in fermenter or keg...or both?

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi guys,

Does dry hopping in a fermenter (after most activity has died down to prevent aroma losses etc from co2) give more flavour/aroma than keg hopping? Does anyone prefer one method over the other?

thanks.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Disregard guys, I've read into this a lot now and think I'm on the right track. Cheers.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #3 made 9 years ago
So what was the the verdict? Ive only dry hopped once so far, into the fermenter. I only used about 20g to test the waters and the aroma only lasted about 2 weeks.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Nicko, dry hop after initial fermentation is dine. Approximately , 7-10 days after pitching yeast. You should be ok at that point.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Dry hop in fermenter or keg...or both?

Post #5 made 9 years ago
I understand that you should dry hop after initial fermentation but I'm hoping that Nicko has done all the research and will give me all the answers ;). My guess is that since you put the hops in the keg then perhaps the aroma will last a little bit longer. I am happy I moved to kegs but there is a lot more options to explore.

I should point out that my hops where 6 months old so I am not surprised that it only lasted 2 weeks lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Hi guys,

Yup, pretty much what I've read is that any dry hopping should be after initial fermentation and not for longer than seven days, yes some brewers argue this point but the majority only leave hops in for seven days when dry hopping in a fermenter.

I've personally keg hopped and I'm happy with the results, but it didn't last too long in terms of aroma and from what I've read, it doesn't last as long as the fermenter method.

I tried a hop tea (into a keg) which added some bitterness and some aroma, but after a couple of weeks the aroma was largely gone and the bitterness had become mellow, personally I'd 'hop ball' dry hops again. But I'd give hop teas a miss (just my opinion).

So I'm about to throw a cup full of hops into a zombie dust clone that's fermenting, should be interesting and I'll definitely past the results.

Post #7 made 9 years ago
I kegged the ZD clone on a Sunday and force carbed, the following Thursday a curious taste turned into several schooners lol. I love it.

Return to “Hops”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests