Best style to show off Honey flavour

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Hi Chaps,

Not sure if I should have posted this here or in the a Recipes section.

I am trying to find (or put together) a really good beer recipe that allow a strong honey flavour to shine though.

Why?

Because I want to enter it into our local beekeeping honey product competition. All the entries seem to be Polishes, Upside down cakes or energy bars, and I though a beer might go down well.

I normally drink dark malty ales, but am concerned that the heavy malts would mask the honey.

Any thoughts chaps ( and ladies), happy to consider any style. Would even use Honey malt to exaggerate the flavour / aroma, if only we could get it in the UK :(

Thank all
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 10 years ago
I would have thought mead was your best bet :lol:
Can't believe nobody does them at a honey product comp!

I would guess the lighter & less complex the better for allowing flavours through?
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Yettiman,

Honey added early to the boil will just ferment out into alcohol. No detectable flavor. Adding it late (near flame out) will leave more honey aroma. There are honey malts that lend a honey flavor to the brew without honey. A malty beer would be better to let any honey traits shine through. Honey does lend "mouth feel" to the brew.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Thanks chaps,

I thought of mead, but I had read it takes 12 months plus to mature (a bit like HB wine) and I only have 5 months.

I thought, 1 month to research, 1 month to brew (I like to like it see in the primary for about 15 days to clear and condition) and a couple of months to bottle condition.

I like the look of the Whitehouse Honey porter, I have an all grain recipe of it, so I might try that, if you think the darker beer would still work. I was worried that the honey taste would be lost, in amongst the malts.

Apart from honey malt (we cannot get it in the UK) what other malts give a honey flavour/aroma?

I have heard that a few do, but further research has shown most people disagree and say on Honey Malt works.

Thanks for the tip on when to add BB, most appreciated.

I will contact the MaltMiller for some suitable Yeast. :)
Last edited by Yettiman on 15 Mar 2014, 03:03, edited 2 times in total.

Post #5 made 10 years ago
I realise this isn't BIAB or even beer but try looking up joe's ancient orange mead.
It is ready within your 5 month time period and is very good. Both my wife and I enjoyed the last batch (possibly a little too much!) It is also very easy to make. This could work in tandem with a honey ale.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Thanks for the suggestion and links Lylo, much appreciated, I am not sure what I will end up with, but I don't really like mead, so will most likely stick to a beer of some sorry.

I need to be able to drink the left overs :)

Post #10 made 10 years ago
If you bottle, honey will ferment out completely and leave no taste. If you keg, you can add honey post-fermentation for sweetness/flavor but you'll have to keep the beer chilled enough to prevent fermentation from starting up again. The only way I've actually gotten a honey "flavor" to any of my beers is by using honey malt.

---Todd.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #11 made 10 years ago
I have only used honey a couple of times but it can be done to give flavour.
1/3 Pilsner malt 1.7 kg
1/3 Wheat Malt 1.6 kg
1/3 Honey 2.0 kg
Based on fermentable sugar content

Approx 1.050

Very low AA% Hops to about 13 IBU From memory I used Hallertau.

Add the honey very late in the boil, almost at flame out. Don't boil for any length of time as you want to retain the aromatics of the Honey.

With the honey make certain it isn't too dominant a floral flavour unless of course that is what your after. Certain Gum tree honeys can impart a dominant flavour you were not aware of.
Ferment with a very neutral low attenuation yeast to leave residual sugar. I haven't tried it for this but Windsor may be a reasonable choice.

Fermentation was complete in about 5 days at 19 - 20c let the temperature rise a couple of degrees for 24 hours then crash chill and keg straightaway. Any suspended yeast was part of the character. This is a drink straightaway beer. It may improve with age but I cannot comment as I only ever made it as a "green beer".
I designed this recipe after a discussion/challenge with the micro owner and then made this as a test brew for the Micro, the test 19 litre keg lasted only a matter of minutes as a trial on tap. It was very popular with the ladies. The 19 litres was then scaled up to 1200 litres by the micro brewer and brewed many times as a regular tap beer. It was not a cheap beer to brew though. He did a very good job of scaling up and retained the essential character.

Steve

Post #13 made 10 years ago
thughes wrote:Thanks Steve, I'm going to give that a whack soon. Sounds like a good spring beer.

---Todd
Hi Todd,

I looked back on my notes and I also made it with California Larger yeast fermented at about 17c.

Hops go in right at the start. As you will be BIAB the wheat shouldn't cause any hassles but if concerned add a handful of rice hulls.

Steve
Last edited by chiller on 22 Mar 2014, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post #14 made 10 years ago
Thanks Chiller, really appreciate you sharing your recipe. I will go for the larger yeast option and try to keep it clean and hopefully allow the honey to (if not shine through) at least makes it presence felt.

Thanks again chaps

Post #15 made 10 years ago
Yettiman wrote:Thanks Chiller, really appreciate you sharing your recipe. I will go for the larger yeast option and try to keep it clean and hopefully allow the honey to (if not shine through) at least makes it presence felt.

Thanks again chaps
Just a tip on that yeast. It is the San Francisco Steam beer yeast. A larger yeast that gives good results at lower ale temperatures. I felt it scrubbed a bit of the hops so add another couple of IBUs if you use it. Not too much though.

Steve
Last edited by chiller on 23 Mar 2014, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests