BIABrewer Women.info

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I never start a new thread but I must say that I am a bit over spending hours just writing to men. I really hoped that BIABrewer.info, when it was started, would end up having a good representation of women partners, brewers and/or tasters.

I'm pretty sorry that we have to have an official invite to women on this forum but here it is ;).

Guy brewers, if you have a partner/girlfriend/wife/(boyfriend :)) do you think you could get them to join this site and at least make one post in this thread (after their first post?) Do they enjoy your beer or help you brew? Will you introduce them to us? Will they join our community? Will they write what they like about our beer? Do they actually brew like stoutgirl5?

I imagine they will still have to do a, "My First Post," though? [see MODNOTE below] Is that asking too much?

:think:
PP

MODNOTE: Alternatively, feel free to use either The Visitors Thread or The Ghost Thread and we will move your posts from there to here after approval. All that posting in those threads requires is a temporary username.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 27 Feb 2014, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Equality is equal. Treat everyone the same because they are! By making a invite especially for the ladies your treating them differently? That may bother some people? The best way could be by ignoring the differences and celebrating the things that we have in common. Like puking in a toilet! :lol:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 10 years ago
I get what Bob is saying, and agree to an extent. But, think of the context here. This is a genuine attempt to become a more diverse group. Anyone viewing this as negative or want to lump it in with misogyny ... I don't care much else of what that person may think (male or female). A reasonable person will only see this for what it is, which is a good natured attempt to welcome those who may be intimidated by a predominantly male environment. We're simply helping to break that ice?

Edit: It hasn't happened organically for whatever reason, so we at least should have a thread like this to welcome potential lurkers.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
I agree with BB on this one. I have experience in other brew forums and the female members seem to be "one of the boys" and don't seem to want to differentiate themselves. I guess they just consider themselves "brewers" and not "female brewers".

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #5 made 10 years ago
We basically need to attract more brewers to the site. I suspect that the male/female proportions of new members will reflect the proportions of brewers in general, as will the proportions for race, religion, gender preference, etc., of the brewing population. Personally, I don't care which of these categories applies to anyone on the site. I just want to communicate with BIAB brewers.

What we should be after is new members in general. I've been spending time on HomeBrewTalk, referring brewers to this site. Unfortunately, there is now a lot of competition with other BIAB spreadsheets, so I am not being very successful about getting people to come over. But I keep trying.

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Free Beer!!

Where?? when?? :pray: Ladies or not! I'll be there!!!!
Last edited by BobBrews on 28 Feb 2014, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Who knows how many Lady brewers are out there ? Forums are by there nature anonymous, if you want to give your name and gender its up to you. Even then who is to know you are who you say you are. I have no problem with an official invite to Women to come and join us, brewing forums can be daunting environments and some can be quiet brutal at times. I have been on the receiving end of some harsh comments on forums for asking some very basic and benign questions, ( not all brewing forums) so I can understand why someone of a delicate persuasion would prefer to lurk rather than jump in and participate.

This is where BIABrewer is different, its very rare to get abuse, ( if at all as I can't think of any occasion ) so I can see PPs frustration at the apparent lack of women members, but who knows they may be here after all.

Another thought is that the ratio of male to women members may be on par with the ratio of male to women beer drinkers ?

Anyway, if you are already a lady member let us know :pray: and if you are a lady "lurking" take the plunge and join us.

:salute:

Yeasty

edit: It would be interesting to see the numbers of lady brewers by location around the world, and I think BIABrewer is the best forum for that as we seem to cover every continent.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #10 made 10 years ago
This would be interesting. I've thought about a utopian world where female brewing coexists in the same numbers as men.

Actually, I know a few female beer enthusiasts that have a lot of knowledge on beer but not necessarily brewing. I've tried to get them interested in brewing but they only like to drink it.

I feel like they think there is an abundance of really heavy lifting (especially the bag part) but we all know its not that bad...

Post #11 made 10 years ago
I'm coming out of hiding here.
Clearly this was set up simply for lurking, with this name.

I'm a female brewer (oh my god) and I've been reading the forums here regularly for quite some time.
Why do I lurk? Not because I'm female. It's because I am still learning, and I don't really want to spread false info around. I still haven't wrapped my head around the spreadsheet because I'm used to beersmith. I'm still throwing experiments down the drain. I guess it is a little selfish to just read and never post though. I'll make the attempt to re-register with a proper name and start participating.

PP I've learned a heck of a lot reading your posts and appreciate the time you put I to answering questions on this forum. Sorry for being a wallflower; mea culpa. And thank you for sharing your knowledge.
I am the only woman in my local club, so I'm not sure that there are that many of us out there. It's probably less than 5%. (insert session joke). But you're right, I should contribute a but, even if it's just questions.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

Post #12 made 10 years ago
public43,

People can lurk all they want. No one has to be vocal and verbose to be a member. The idea here is to share our acquired knowledge. We are working towards a common goal. To make everyone a better brewer! Some members never type a word but become great or at least competent brewers. That is fine and dandy. If the world would follow the simple philosophy we aspire to here. The world would be a better place. (but probably intoxicated?)
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #13 made 10 years ago
public43 wrote:It's probably less than 5%. (insert session joke).
A joke only a true beer geek would get!

Glad to have you here, don't be a stranger. Please consider that while you may not feel confident enough to respond to questions from other brewers, I'd be willing to bet that there are the occasional "I'm a complete noob" type questions where you could offer advice from your own experience. Don't be shy, we love hearing from all of our members.

---Todd
Last edited by thughes on 01 Mar 2014, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
WWBBD?

Post #14 made 10 years ago
I still consider myself a noob, public43. I've been pretty adamant with trying to help folks within my experience level, and if I misstep, guys like PP, BB, M_S, mally, thughes have come in right behind me to point out something I might have either missed or misstepped on. They also challenge my methods at times, which is great .. as it forces me to put my process up for scrutiny.

This has been a great learning strategy for me, and BIABrewer is the perfect atmosphere to let yourself be exposed without worry of attitudes.

A good parallel would be playing chess with a grandmaster. No way I'm going to win, but i'll surely up my game in a hurry by mingling at a higher level. In other forums you need to be in a circle or clique for this to happen, which is frustrating. Not here.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #15 made 10 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:I imagine [before you post here] you will still have to do a, "My First Post," though?
MODNOTE: Alternatively, feel free to use either The Visitors Thread or The Ghost Thread and we will move your posts from there to here after approval. All that posting in those threads requires is a temporary username. [Post #1 edited accordingly.]
Last edited by Nuff on 01 Mar 2014, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

Post #16 made 10 years ago
Have to do some work before I have a Saturday evening drink but thanks for the great reads above and thanks to Nuff for thinking of the ghost and visitors thread. I'll write more here later, probably when drunk, and can bore you all to tears answering anything that needs a reply above :lol:.

Public43, thanks for going through all the rigmarole to comment here. Much appreciated and I'm so pleased to hear that some of my stuff has helped a bit. As for getting used to the BIABacus, it is hard to do when you are used to existing software. I want to write some more on this later as I may have a better way of making the two different approaches of the BIABacus and commercial software easier to 'see'. Certainly, those who have never used any other software have a big advantage using the BIABacus as they are not conditioned into certain patterns of thinking. I'll let you know if/when I crack explaining that one. As for your and anyone else's other comments, as mentioned, I'll get back to any of those later that need a response.
BobBrews wrote:Equality is equal. Treat everyone the same because they are! By making a invite especially for the ladies your treating them differently? That may bother some people? The best way could be by ignoring the differences and celebrating the things that we have in common. Like puking in a toilet! :lol:
Oh Bob, that six month political correctness course you did was looking as though it really paid off. It looked like you must have come top of the class! And then I read the last sentence.

:dunno:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 01 Mar 2014, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #17 made 10 years ago
PP,

True enough. I took a lot of those (PC) classes while still working. But after the class we all went out to the pub and got wasted together! Puking my guts out in the parking lot next to the office `hotti`e (who was also puking) gave me respect for the ladies. Plus, my wife and four daughters let me know my place in the henpecking order. (clue.... I was last!)
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #18 made 10 years ago
Oh, deary me :roll:. Those PC courses really missed something I feel :interesting:.

:).

Still short on time (drinking time that is) so no long answers here... yet :whistle::.

Post #19 made 10 years ago
Good to have you in here Public. I'm with Rick on the other forums. You'll find this site is more "user" friendly than most of the other sites. And Bob , I'm 1 up on you with 5 and 1 farther down the pecking order . :lol: :lol:

Post #20 made 10 years ago
jhough,

If I had a heart ( I lost mine betting on a Green Bay Packer game ) it would go out to you. We did have three female exchange students so I get credit for them? 4.5 daughters!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #21 made 10 years ago
Bob , maybe when I take the wife to Detroit for a vaca we can get together and hoist a few! But , more power to any man who can put up with this much estrogen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post #22 made 10 years ago
To all you BIABrewer women, sorry about Bob leading jhough astray. Bob leads us all astray. I'm trying his beer diet and haven't eaten since Christmas I think :).

My seven sisters, 15 nieces and two great-nieces have asked I copy the following in solidarity. (Yes, that is true, I do have 7 sisters etc.)

Q. What is the difference between men and government bonds?
A. The bonds mature.

I would like to object to that but I think it might be a little bit true :),
PP

Something Serious

I'm short on time now but there actually was an interesting side to this thread that I thought might arise and unless more women like public43 feel comfortable posting here, then we may miss out on a whole new world of learning.

Firstly, as many others have said above, I hope all women brewers find this forum welcoming and comfortable. This site is so good at making people feel welcome so I do hope that we will see some women feeling comfortable enough to jump on board.

For example, it would be interesting...

It's a scientifically proven fact that women can 'see' and identify more colours than men. It's a ridiculous amount. So, what I'm wondering is...

I know that professional female brewers are very good. I've only personally known two but they have both been excellent. What I am thinking is that female brewers might also be able to taste (identify) some, or many, flavours that most us blokes cannot.

:scratch:
PP

PS Apologies. The above is not as well-written as I would have liked. Can't see any major spelling errors or logic errors though.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 05 Mar 2014, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post #23 made 10 years ago
Slightly off topic...

Mark Twain is my favorite author. His most famous book is Tom Sawyer, but if you live outside the US, you may not have heard of him. Here is one of his quotes:

What would men be without women? Scarce, sir, mighty scarce.
- Mark Twain
Last edited by smyrnaquince on 05 Mar 2014, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post #24 made 10 years ago
Here is my rambling reply as promised. I have just picked a few posts out from the above but in my replies below, I hope I have responded to most thoughts above. Here you go...
smyrnaquince wrote:We basically need to attract more brewers to the site. I suspect that the male/female proportions of new members will reflect the proportions of brewers in general, as will the proportions for race, religion, gender preference, etc., of the brewing population. Personally, I don't care which of these categories applies to anyone on the site. I just want to communicate with BIAB brewers.

What we should be after is new members in general. I've been spending time on HomeBrewTalk, referring brewers to this site. Unfortunately, there is now a lot of competition with other BIAB spreadsheets, so I am not being very successful about getting people to come over. But I keep trying.
Nice Dave ;). I think though at this stage, the site really is not chasing new members. It gets them anyway. What I think it is chasing are the resources to make quality information readily available to everyone. The best thing that anyone can do here at the current time is to answer questions here - don't worry about the other sites atm Dave. Staying up to date and answering questions here is far more important atm. This enables more time to get the tools and info we have here structured and laid out in a way that will benefit many brewers down the track.

As for competition from other calculators, there shouldn't be any. The existing other so-called calculators are truly atrocious. They calculate nothing but volume and in the worst possible way. They are actually totally wrong. For example, one of their usual inputs they require is how much grain you will be using. There is no way, you should supply that number. The calculator should be giving that number :roll:.

I'll write more on this later and provide a link. Not sure when though as this is a massive problem as the most popular result when you Google BIAB Calculator, the worst calculator of all comes up. So annoying, especially when you spend a few hours of time trying to help the writer/s as I have done.
Yeasty wrote:Who knows how many Lady brewers are out there ? Forums are by there nature anonymous, if you want to give your name and gender its up to you. Even then who is to know you are who you say you are. I have no problem with an official invite to Women to come and join us, brewing forums can be daunting environments and some can be quiet brutal at times. I have been on the receiving end of some harsh comments on forums for asking some very basic and benign questions... This is where BIABrewer is different, its very rare to get abuse, (if at all as I can't think of any occasion ) so I can see PPs frustration at the apparent lack of women members, but who knows they may be here after all.

Another thought is that the ratio of male to women members may be on par with the ratio of male to women beer drinkers ?

Anyway, if you are already a lady member let us know :pray: and if you are a lady "lurking" take the plunge and join us.

:salute:

Yeasty

edit: It would be interesting to see the numbers of lady brewers by location around the world, and I think BIABrewer is the best forum for that as we seem to cover every continent.
I think the major reason why BIABrewer was started was to provide a sensible environment to talk about brewing. You mentioned above how intimidating forums can be. I started out on a local forum at a time when everyone was really helpful. About two years later, the culture seemed to have changed dramatically and kept going downhill. As far as I can see, on all the major forums, that culture continues. Trying to get a straight answer on the most simplest of things is impossible. I have no idea how new brewers get anywhere.

As for women participating on other forums, God help them if the forums are anything like what I have seen. No woman could actually become/remain a part of the existing cultures I have examined or even glanced at. They're primitive. I don't even know what to say here... Lots of wrong advice/info.... Lots of self-serving posts... It's just like Facebook - look at me, look at me, look at me but with the added insult of having pics from "People" magazine (a "girly" magazine) interspersed amongst the posts. It annoys me as I always try to see things through the eyes of a new brewer and these environments show no respect for anyone.

I think I am getting old because the below pisses me off...

1. Self-importance 1: We even get this on this forum. For example, some people ask a question and then ask more and more without giving answers to anyone else or making a donation. It's as though all information in this world should be free to them even if only a few people are taking the time to give it to them. (Getting bitchy now aren't I - lol).

2. Self-importance 2: Just because someone has a few thousand posts on a forum does not mean their advice is correct. Often it is the opposite. Look at the detail (consideration) in their posts.

3. Instant Answers (Facebook/Twitter/Forums): Anyone can give an answer these days but it won't mean it is right. There are more wrong answers out there on these mediums than right ones. A few studies have been done on this showing that the first Google answer is often quite wrong. I think women and the guys we have here who can hear through the noise know this and that is why I am surprised we don't see more women here.

4. If someone knows how to run a poll, they might be able to set something up in Visitors that determines the ratio of female/male readers.
public43 wrote:I'm coming out of hiding here... Sorry for being a wallflower; mea culpa.
No mea culpa there public43. Very good of you to write. I hope the above makes some sense/rings a bell. A part of me is thinking that maybe BIABrewer should start a hidden forum for female brewers for a little while. Who knows, it could be a good idea?

I think that the best answer to your worry about spreading false info around is as follows...
Rick wrote:I still consider myself a noob, public43. I've been pretty adamant with trying to help folks within my experience level, and if I misstep, guys like PP, BB, M_S, mally, thughes have come in right behind me to point out something I might have either missed or misstepped on. They also challenge my methods at times, which is great .. as it forces me to put my process up for scrutiny.

This has been a great learning strategy for me, and BIABrewer is the perfect atmosphere to let yourself be exposed without worry of attitudes.

A good parallel would be playing chess with a grandmaster. No way I'm going to win, but i'll surely up my game in a hurry by mingling at a higher level. In other forums you need to be in a circle or clique for this to happen, which is frustrating. Not here.
I think Rick's post here really rings the best of bells with me.

Rick and many others have an abundance of enthusiasm and a real lack of arrogance. They are the perfect members here because they pass on everything they can, unselfishly, to you. They do it in the confidence that they will be corrected if they get something wrong. Being corrected, to them, is a bonus/learning experience, not a reprimand/criticism. If corrected, they will pass that better info on to you.

And I think that is another hidden but very important part of this site's culture. The great posters here have no problem admitting if they are unsure of something and are very happy to acknowledge when they learn something new. Look at this post and the one after.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 09 Mar 2014, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 38 guests