Post #2 made 10 years ago
Easy answer.

One of these the size of my bag is $130.00 +. My bag cost £3.00 ( about $5 ).

We've taken the traditional Brew In A Bag concept and stepped it up to a Brew In A Stainless Steel Basket idea! You get the same results as brewing in a bag, but now you have a much easier way to do it!

:think: :think: :dunno: bold statement, I think you will struggle to squeeze wort out of one of these and just shake it out and fit it in the washing machine at the end of the day.

Good link though Jack and it goes to show that the BIAB concept is catching on and is getting people thinking. But in my opinion keeping it simple is the way to go.

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 25 Feb 2014, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 10 years ago
I was researching making a basket out of "Termite Barrier Screen Mesh" when I discovered BIAB. I had the same type of idea with stainless steel mesh but stumbled across BIAB. My world was made easier by having the work proven by the bloke's down under. :clap:

http://www.wovenwire.com/stainless-stee ... -cloth.htm
Last edited by BobBrews on 25 Feb 2014, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
I was thinking one of those Baskets in a kettle with the bag inside it would be the go. Bag never touches the bottom - perfect for gas or element. Mash in the bag, in the basket. End of mash pull basket. Easy mod to basket would allow the legs to swing out and sit on the edge of the pot while the wort drained. A 'lid' or disc with a handle that fit neatly inside the basket, could be used to squeeze the wort from the mash into the kettle. Once you've got all the juicy wort out, dump traditional BIAB bag with grain, then put basket back in wort. Boil, no requirement for hop bags or other trub management (my preferred method to get the most from the hops). End of boil and chill, pull basket again, use disc with handle to squeeze wort out again, leaving break and hop trub in basket. Drain or syphon clean wort to fermentor.

I've really been struggling with trub because I love huge double and triple IPA's. SO MUCH HOPS! I try for 30L batches. I either have to let lots of trub into fermentor to fill it over the 30L line (60L fermentor), or leave trub and good wort behind if I want clear wort into fermentor. I could calculate the brew for bigger loss to trub, but whether I syphon or drain from the kettle tap, there's always clear wort I can see left behind, which I hate. I figure a 300 micron mesh basket, with a disc that could be used to squeeze the wort through the trub, resulting in almost perfect wort extraction from break and hop material, would be ideal. Over $250 freight to get that basket freighted to Australia though, and more expense than basket plus freight to manufacture in Australia :-(

Post #5 made 10 years ago
SimonT,

It sounds really great. When you ever get it working properly. Post plenty of pictures for us to see. Remember that there is a trade off between between being efficient with techno-wizardry and simplicity. What I mean by that is. Simplicity is usually best. A lot of work and expense can go into getting a half a glass of finished beer. Is it worth it? It can be worth it and tons of fun besides if your in love with the technology of brewing. Nothing wrong with that! I like your way of thinking :thumbs:

I am just saying that if your setup was next to my simple bag and a pot. I will be done brewing and cleaned up before you. Is a half a glass of beer worth it? (BTW, I will help you clean up.)

You might have to get used to the fact that a little lost wort and trub in your wort (which is good) is acceptable and expected?
Last edited by BobBrews on 26 Feb 2014, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Nice posts above and some clever thoughts there without a doubt :peace:. Certainly a clever idea of Simon's on swinging the legs out.

Something is nagging me about this thread though and I can't pout my finger on it. Maybe click here and search those posts.

I'm short on time but read the above posts and then the next thing I'd be asking myself is does whatever the micron basket size equate to 30 or 40 threads per centimeter?

The only other obvious thing I can see that hasn't been mentioned already is, how do you lift that basket? The handle looked a tad flimsy. I'd want to see a more solid structure than that.

Another thing you could do (depending on the mesh size of the basket) is something we have considered behind the scenes for a while... Hold on! I'm sick of people pinching our ideas :lol:.

Gotta keep moving anyway,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 26 Feb 2014, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Lot of stuff in the links generated by that search about a basket instead of a bag, but little about using both at once. I think the advantages are many with the only disadvantage being an extra vessel to hose out. Time wise I think it would be much quicker. One of the more tedious parts of the day is waiting for whirlfloc, or Brewbrite which I tried for the first time yesterday, to do its job. With the basket kettle finings may not even be necessary. Once chilled just squeeze wort through trub into kettle then empty into fermentor. Maximum wort extraction in minimum time.

Post #8 made 10 years ago
I should probably elaborate on my above post, made using a smartphone, which is never a good choice.

I think time savings would be two-fold. Once at end of mash. Pull the basket with bag inside (yes handle would need to be sturdy, but I would think they would make it so, given the requirements, and that mob also makes to order, so you'd just specify what you needed and I reckon they'd make it sturdy enough) - let bag drip dry for a while (I often 'splash' some wort outside my kettle when I pull my bag because of the way the bag changes shape. Big malt bills and all that, yeah it can make a mess), with the basket, no chance of a mess. Might need a hand from the missus though to swivel those legs out if needing two hands to hoist the basket with bag inside. Or I could continue to do what I've done until now and just slide a fridge wire shelf which sits across the kettle, under the bag (now basket) and let it drain through that. No need to wait for too long though, if you have a disc with handle handy (by handy I mean you get one made :thumbs: ) that fits neatly inside the basket, just push down hard on the bag, and squeeze the wort through the basket mesh. Usual rules apply - squeeze as hard or as little as you like. You can adjust brewcalcs like Biabacus etc to suit. Anyway, quick and easy, no need to wait for last drop to dribble out, just squeeze until you're comfortable with your wort extraction from the mash. Pull grain bag out.

Drop basket back into kettle. Boil as usual throwing hops straight in. No bags, no spiders, no hop 'management' at all, apart from the basket itself. End of boil, chill. If it's an immersion chiller, as I use, no worries it will fit comfortably inside the basket (cos you'd get it custom made to fit inside your kettle at the full height and diameter of your kettle). End of chill, pull chiller, then raise basket again, draining wort to kettle. No idea how quick this would drain, but if not super-quick, use that disc with handle and squeeze the wort out into kettle. Minute or two tops? Second time saving comes in here. Should result in fairly clear wort left in kettle which you then put into fermentor using whatever method you'd normally use. Syphon or tap. No need at this stage to filter anything or worry about trub, cos there should be minimal to none. Hose out mash bag as usual, and also hose out mesh basket. Only new cleaning step, but you've cut out so much other time that you'd be well in front by now.

Well that's the theory anyway. Haven't seen anyone use this method in reality though. Would love to see any links to threads where it's been done. Would also love PP to elaborate on his thoughts, re: pinching ideas :-)

EDIT: Should probably say that of course you'd need to thoroughly clean and sanitise everything post boil (just the 'squeezing disc' over and above anything else you'd normally use?) to avoid contaminating the wort.

Post #9 made 10 years ago
SimonT,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. You seemed to have thought it thru. (I want pictures and times) when it's working. I just calculated that I average a minimum of twenty five 19 liter (5 gal.) batches a year. I started brewing BIAB exclusively in 2007 so 25X7 = 175 batches. a bag, a pot and a heat source. I haven't done as much thinking as you have? I feel inadequate? :sneak:

Oh, and 175 X 3.5 hours = 612.5 hours / 24 = 25 days and a few minutes of brewing. Whew! I am tired! But, I have beer that's clear and it is near. What could be better than that? :drink:
Last edited by BobBrews on 27 Feb 2014, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #10 made 10 years ago
SimonT, I would be very interested too to see if this would work or not as well.
I hate negative thoughts/comments but I would worry about the basket getting clogged up, who knows?

If you see this post I did here, Pic1 shows a tiny version of a baasket (that thing hanging off my kettle) that I use as a "hoptainer". On many occasions I have tried it to filter trub as well, but it just gets blocked up and overflows most of the time.
I think your idea will probably work, but it will be reliant on the mesh size as to how well it performs I guess. :scratch:

BTW
SimonT wrote:Might need a hand from the missus though to swivel those legs out if needing two hands
I hope she doesn't read that :lol: :lol:
Last edited by mally on 27 Feb 2014, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #11 made 10 years ago
mally,

SimonT wrote:
Might need a hand from the missus though to swivel those legs out if needing two hands
How could I have missed that? I guess I am slipping! :blush:
Last edited by BobBrews on 27 Feb 2014, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #12 made 10 years ago
[quote="mally"]SimonT, I would be very interested too to see if this would work or not as well.
I hate negative thoughts/comments but I would worry about the basket getting clogged up, who knows?

I've not brewed with a bag, yet. My system is a Mash Tun in Kettle setup, similar to the Spiedels Braumeister. My comments concerning possible clogging of the mesh. Just have the basket made with SS Expanded metal instead of mesh. You are brewing in a bag, so all trub should remain in the bag. Prevents using the same basket as a hop spider.

Joe Werner
Fossildust- Brains cells going the same way as the dinosaurs - To Extinction!

On Tap...
Tap 1 - Scottish /60
Tap 2 - Robust Porter
Tap 3 - APA (1st Wort Wet hops)
Tap 4 - Southern English Brown
In Bottle...
Age ----ABV ---Style --- Name
4 years - 11% RIS - Midnight Blackness
3 years - 10% RIS - Midnight Blackness
1.5 Years 11.2% English BarleyWine - Radical
1 year - 9% RIS - Grand Duchess
1 year - 9.3% Old Ale - Old Like Me!
Last edited by jhwerner1 on 27 Feb 2014, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Werner
Old Geezer

On Tap...
Scottish Ale Export
Oatmeal Stout
American Imperial Stout
American Imperial Stout
Red Irish Ale
New England IPA
American IPA

Post #13 made 10 years ago
I was actually referring to trub that occurs during the boil (proteins & hop debris), I don't have the bag in the boil (other than when I hop sock).

SimonT's idea is that the basket occupies the most space it can in the kettle so that when the proteins coagulate, and the hops are added, they do so inside the mesh, and can therefore, be removed.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #14 made 10 years ago
mally wrote:I was actually referring to trub that occurs during the boil (proteins & hop debris), I don't have the bag in the boil (other than when I hop sock).

SimonT's idea is that the basket occupies the most space it can in the kettle so that when the proteins coagulate, and the hops are added, they do so inside the mesh, and can therefore, be removed.
Misunderstood your concern about clogging, thanks for correcting my perceptions of what you where referring to. I agree a fine mesh could cause problems after the boil. I use Brewers Hardware Trub Filter with no problems with clogging.

Note: The Brewers Hardware Trub Filter was used in an experiment to see if we could clog it up while while I was working at a Craft Brewery here in Indy, ran 20 barrels of wort thru it with no problem. This was not fresh boiled wort, it was used during the transfer of wort from Fermenter to Bright tank, that was Dry hopped with over 10 lbs of pellet hops. They purchased their own after the experiment.
Last edited by jhwerner1 on 28 Feb 2014, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Werner
Old Geezer

On Tap...
Scottish Ale Export
Oatmeal Stout
American Imperial Stout
American Imperial Stout
Red Irish Ale
New England IPA
American IPA

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”