Post #4301 made 10 years ago
Hi all! I'm from the Montgomery area in Alabama. We recently got homebrew legalized! Came across the site via good ol' google, lol. I'm looking to start brewing 1-gallon BIAB test batches. I've never made beer, but I have made a few batches of muscadine wine in the past using the "redneck ingenuity" method, lol. Certainly like what I'm seeing on this site so far! Looking forward to getting started brewing and this site looks to be a good fit for how I want to start!

Post #4302 made 10 years ago
HopsterMacBrew, bigtide74,

Welcome to the party. Better late than never. BIAB will fulfill your dreams and fill your belly!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4303 made 10 years ago
Hi all,

Queanbeyan NSW here. I'm an engineer working for the Government (please don't hold that against me though).

I've been brewing on and off for 20 or so years, started when I was at Uni.
It's been all kits and bits and partials and it's time to take the plunge to AG via BIAB (about to buy a Crown Urn).

Found the site via Aussie Home Brewer, looks to be an amazing amount of experience and advice here.

Cheers,

Ken
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #4304 made 10 years ago
Queanbeyan - nice :party:.

One of my uncles was an engineer who worked on the Snowy River scheme many years ago.

Anyway, I think you'll find it a lot easier to brew nice beers with all-grain than the kits and the partials. I've had a couple of great kit brews (InCider's from AHB was one fermented in his Man Shed at about a billion degrees Celsius - lol) but most I tasted and that I brewed myself were crap no matter what I did. One of the best lagers I have tasted was an IPA kit. It tasted nothing like an IPA, no bitterness at all, but was it was a perfect 'lager', once again brewed with no temperature control. Go figure :roll:.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4305 made 10 years ago
Hello everyone,

My name is Philip from Kansas City, Missouri in the United States. I'm a recent biab convert! I've got 3 biabs under my belt now with the mini-biab stovetop method at 3 gallon batches. I'm hooked and am looking at doing 5-7 gallon batches with an ebiab setup. I stumbled upon the whole process when a local hobby brew shop opened down the street and mentioned the process for doing smaller mid week batches. The rest is history! I look forward to learning as much as I can and getting to know everyone. Cheers.

Post #4307 made 10 years ago
BIABrewer wrote:
1. Where are you from? Australia
2. How did you stumble across the site? AHB.com
3. What you think of it so far? This is my first post, i dont have any as yet judgement.
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? 3 batches down on my eBIAB system
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? I work.
BlackRat
Last edited by BlackRat on 09 Dec 2013, 11:12, edited 14 times in total.

Post #4308 made 10 years ago
Greetings from Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. I found your site from listening to the BIAB podcast through Beersmith yesterday. I listened to the podcast as I was driving to my buddies house to do our first dual batch BIAB. I don't think I did something right though, I have 1 gallon of trub at the bottom of my primary fermentation vessel. I checked my bag and there were no holes in it. Is this what I should expect from BIAB?
Primary: Zombie Dust Clone, 3rd BIAB
Secondary:
Bottle: Black IPA, Sock Monkey Stout, Hop Burst IPA
Wish List:12 months/12 brews

Post #4311 made 10 years ago
Greetings. I'm from Atlanta, GA, USA and found this site after listening to Pat's Beersmith podcast. I have been brewing 5 gallon full-boil extract with steeping grains for just under a year. I'm looking into BIAB as either an intermediate or full-time entry into AG; I just may need to upsize from my 8-gallon (30L) stockpot to a 15 gal brew kettle. I'm an electrical engineer, so I'm intrigued as well as temporarily overwhelmed by all the analysis in brewing. I haven't gotten too deep into this website, but it looks like it should provide all the info and support I need to learn to BIAB. Can't wait.

I'm intrigued by the BIABacus (which of course I can't access yet), but wonder whether "traditional" brewing software suc as Beersmith reliably support BIAB as well.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #4312 made 10 years ago
Hi everyone

I'm Ben, I'm from Sheffield in the UK and I've been brewing (kits and Turbo Cider) for about 3-4 years

I'm also a member on Jim's Beer Kit and that's where I found out about your site

I was thinking of moving from kits to Extract brewing, but I made an error with ordering my malt (grains rather than the malt extract lol) so from what I've read, BIAB looks like the way to go

I work for Balfour Beatty (UK) and have managed to convince at least 5 other people there to get in to home brewing

From what I can see, there's a wealth of experience and information on this site, so if you don't mind, I'll be picking your brains ready for my first BIAB

I'm very much looking forward to it

Thanks everyone
Ben
---

FV1: Coopers English Bitter
Maturing: Elderberry wine (2012)
Coming soon: Hobgoblin BIAB clone

Post #4313 made 10 years ago
:thumbs: THanks for all the BIAB info. Just finished my first BIAB on the cook top rather than outside with a propane burner. Its winter here in NW Arkansas and it was 12 deg F last night, great night to be inside brewing.

Thanks again! YW

Post #4314 made 10 years ago
yeastwrangler wrote::thumbs: THanks for all the BIAB info. Just finished my first BIAB on the cook top rather than outside with a propane burner. Its winter here in NW Arkansas and it was 12 deg F last night, great night to be inside brewing.

Thanks again! YW
I'm glad you found us! I do all mine on the stovetop, but I do half batches. If you have enough BTUs to do a full 5-gallon batch, great! If not, the tools on this forum make it easy to scale your recipes.

Let us know how your brew turns out when you finally crack your first one open.
Last edited by smyrnaquince on 11 Dec 2013, 01:19, edited 14 times in total.

Post #4315 made 10 years ago
Hi all!! :)

I am from Cronulla in Sydney. Brewing kit and bits for about 6 months, like most thing I am getting all OCD with brewing. Because of limited space AG brewing is not an option, so BIAB here I come. I am looking to brew 23litres each time.

Post #4316 made 10 years ago
Hi All,

Q-Point here from Adelaide, Australia (quite surprised to see so many Australians on this site!). I started homebrewing with my old man maybe three or four years ago with the typical Coopers homebrew kit, which is how I think pretty much all Aussies get started with homebrewing. Whenever I head back to my folks' farm in rural SA I try and put down a brew, which admittedly isn't as often as I would like.

We've slowly been progressing from the baseline kit and kilo and have done three partial mashes and now I'm keen to step it up to proper AG over Xmas. Just bought myself a big 50L pot for a kettle and an Italian spiral gas burner which I can't wait to try out. Thought this site would be really useful for getting specific information on the BIAB method which I think suits our needs in terms of speed and simplicity. While I might look to upgrade further in the future, some of the massive brew rigs (complete with march pumps and electronic automation) that I've seen people post on other forums don't really do it for me. There's something about being more hands-on and improvised that has appeal... maybe this will change with time though!

Anyway, it's nice to be part of this forum and looking forward to getting the low down on the BIAB method!

Post #4317 made 10 years ago
Hello all - another BIAB brewer here in Georgia in the southeastern US. My kids got me into home brewing with a Christmas gift of basic supplies at Christmas four years ago. We still do some extracts and partial mashes, but the 3 batches fermenting now are all AG BIAB. My son and I may bottle one of those batches tomorrow -- today for you all (or all y'all as we sometimes say). We will at least check gravity in two of the three and listen to the happy gurgle of the other.

Appreciate this site very much- great sharing of wisdom and knowledge. THANKS !
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #4319 made 10 years ago
Welcome aboard guys and thanks for the good reads above.

cweir60: You'll probably go through a stage where you analyse too much but that is pretty normal. The third last paragraph ofthis post will answer one of your questions a bit though ;).

Q-Point: Doesn't get much prettier than some parts of rural SA. As for getting more equipment, have a read of this thread. A lot of us here used to three-vessel but see no point to it now at all.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 11 Dec 2013, 18:58, edited 12 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4321 made 10 years ago
Welcome aboard Tim!

Im hoping to get into the cider game one of these years. My neighbor hood has lots of apple trees to pick from. Someday Ill have the time ;) .

trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #4322 made 10 years ago
Greetings from Indianapolis, Indiana! I have about 6 extract brews under my belt. A good friend of mine turned me on to the site after we tried to brew our 1st BIAB last weekend. I'm usually a big researcher and used BeerSmith 2 to run our 1st brews. Plus, a long discussion with the guys at our local brew shop. BS2 wasn't as straight forward or as helpful as I thought it would be. I'm looking forward to learning more from this site.

Post #4323 made 10 years ago
Welcome BrEwan - You should hopefully find all you need here.
If you get a chance have a look at the BIABacus. It's all the software you will ever need.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4324 made 10 years ago
Greeting from the mountains of California. Very new to beer brewing, but an old hand at winemaking. Lots of fermentations under my belt. Looking forward to applying that experience to brewing, and then learning a lot too.

And I will join the chorus and say that the BIABacus is an awesome piece of spreadsheet work! So cool!

Post #4325 made 10 years ago
Hello from Fort Worth, Texas USA. Found the forum while researching how to brew with minimal equipment. The site has been a wealth of information and the biabacus is great. Been brewing 2 gallon biab batches for about a year now.

Thanks,
Morris8898
    • Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 82 guests