beginners guide

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Thought I would post a first attempt at a beginners guide.
If it proves useful, it can be adapted/improved & moved to a more relevant location.
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG1.JPG
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG2.JPG
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG3.JPG
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 21 Aug 2013, 17:45, edited 2 times in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 10 years ago
great start. Thanks for the work you have done and the work you will have too do!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 10 years ago
MS - Do you mean to tell me your packaging doesn't end up lke that?
must just be mine then! :lol:
G B

Post #8 made 10 years ago
Nice job mally :thumbs: :salute: :champ:,

I think it's more important to hear from new BIAB brewers than the older ones as they'll be able to spot things they need that we miss. One thing I suspect the new all-grainer/BIAB brewer will need is the unabbreviated term. For example, under VAW, maybe write, in brackets, 'Volume of Ambient Wort'.

Good stuff!
PP

P.S. On the weekend, I'll try and finish and then send you something that might could go hand in hand with this. It's on terminology and I just have to work out what level/layer to stop at and then it will be finished.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #11 made 10 years ago
Sorry mally but my eyes glaze over looking at charts. I,m talking about a simple list. I know that I have requested this before but everyone else seems to think the chart is fine so go for it!
AWOL

Post #12 made 10 years ago
As a regular user if The Biabacus,I personally still struggle with the ever changing ( BTW, the chart isn't up to date) terminology and if you are trying to simplify things for begginers I think it would be good to have a short concise list of the abbreviations included in your guide rather than a link to another older guide.
Just my thoughts. Lylo
p.s.WTF does VFO stand for?
AWOL

Post #14 made 10 years ago
Lylo, besides you beating me in Cheese last year on the last week I am very disappointed in your posts above :).

They are pretty negative.

I'm disappointed because you are an older member and must at least have some idea at how many thousands of hours have been spent on getting terminology right here. Do you?

You ask for a simple list and complain about your eyes glazing over. You say you struggle with the ever changing terminology...

I sort of agree with you but also expect a lot more.

A simple list can be found after the pic in the post that josh linked. You will also find your answer to wtf VFO means there.

BIABrewer didn't create the terminology and formula problems that exist in the brewing world. We are the ones spending thousands of hours correcting/fixing them and then spending another thousand hours making our fixes look simple for God's sake!

The terminology has not been ever-changing. Nearly all terminology here has been consistent for several years. The only terminology, with one major exception, that has ever varied is end of boil terminology and that is extremely tricky to correct and get right.

Your suggestion of having a short concise list is something we thought of years ago. If it was that easy we would have done it years ago. It is very important that we get all the terminology right before we re-write and structure the site.

On a final note, as one of the main contributors here, I hate posts that ask us to give even more than we do already or trivialise what has already been done. I have personally spent countless hours on this site. No one here who contributes, including me, makes a dollar.

Obviously all the thinking and hard work that has been done here can be capitalised on and made to look easy. We would like to see this happen. The question is will someone here make it happen or will another person steal the work and do it badly?

That will be up to people like you I think.

:think:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 23 Aug 2013, 23:01, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #15 made 10 years ago
Sorry PP, I don't mean to be negative. I just feel that with all of the effort you and everyone else :salute: has put into simplifying things that it would be a great help for everyone if these terms were made clearer more often. Links are great until you have to remember where you found them. Call me challenged :idiot: but I even have trouble finding the link to the latest Biabacus version.
My post was just a suggestion to mally that if we are trying to simplify things for a beginner this would be useful. Not many beginners are going to know what all of these terms mean and may not like the distraction of referring to a link for each one as they learn.
Anyway sorry for the bad post and I will retreat to my dark little corner and keep an eye on the Cheestradamus goings on. :lol:
Last edited by Lylo on 23 Aug 2013, 23:23, edited 2 times in total.
AWOL

Post #16 made 10 years ago
Hey Lylo,

I know where PP is coming from but I did not take offense at your comments. I actually welcome all comments whether they are negative or not.
If it means the guide is easier/better etc. Then that is what I am (& hopefully we all are) trying to achieve.

Originally I did think about adding descriptions, and I now think it would be better if they were there, but at the time I had a crazy thought that a newcomer would read the guide; become "engaged" with it and would then want to find out more. Instead of possibly just glossing over it.

Anyway, thanks for the input, much appreciated, and don't spend too long on "CHEESE", why ruin a winning formula?!!!
G B

Post #18 made 10 years ago
:lol:

Yeah, I shouldn't have read Lylo's post as negative but it helps to psych him out just before Cheese picks close I think ;) *. Also, this weekend I am having another crack at a terminology thread and it always takes sooooo long I get depressed before I even start :argh:. I am hoping to crack this thing quickly on this attempt as I really want to get some brews done as well. Fingers crossed.

Until mally gets a chance to put the unabbreviated terms in, here they are...

TWN = Total Water Needed
SWN = Strike Water Needed (Water swells as it heats up so this number is slighly more than TWN)
VIB = Volume into Boil
VFO = Volume at Flame Out
VAW = Volume of Ambient Wort (Wort shrinks as it cools so this number is about 4% less than VFO)
KFL = Kettle to Fermentor Loss
VIF = Volume into Fermentor
FPL = Fermentor to Packaging Loss
VIP = Volume into Packaging

The SWN above is a good example of how difficult defining all this terminology can be. SWN is very simple to explain for pure BIAB but when you have to cater for BIAB variations (such as what we call maxi-BIAB) trying to keep definitions and explanations concise yet unambiguous gets tricky.

The above are only the main volume terms. Other volume, temperature and process terms plus gravities and efficiencies also have to be dealt with on the site. They all have to work together and be as fast to learn as possible. Every term also needs to be able to work with traditional brewing as well.

So, this is the thing I am having another crack at laying out and writing this weekend. Hopefully this explains me whining so much in my last post.

:P
PP

* mwaahaahaa!!!

beginners guide

Post #20 made 10 years ago
Love the pictorial Mally but one question. It looks to me like your recommending dropping a bag of dry grain into the kettle at strike temp? I'd say this is a nightmare for dough balls . I wouldn't dream of it. I get to strike temp with bag in and then pot in grain while stirring vigorously, never had a dough ball issue this way but it takes a few mins to pour in the grain. Or am I over analysing?

Post #22 made 10 years ago
Lars,
It looks to me like your recommending dropping a bag of dry grain into the kettle at strike temp? I'd say this is a nightmare for dough balls
Sorry for jumping in like this. I used to grind my grain right into my brew bag. I just moved the bag into my strike water and then stir. I never had a problem with dough balls. I think that stirring the crushed grain in that large amount of water cancels out any chance of dough balls.

I think that this may have been a problem in (Old Fashioned) 3 vessel brewing? Mixing the grain thoroughly is all you need along with a 90 minute mash to get perfect starch conversion. Don't worry about dough balls. Relax and have a home brew! :drink:
Last edited by BobBrews on 26 Aug 2013, 19:54, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #23 made 10 years ago
For anybody still following this thread;
The mods have made a few suggestions, and I am currently implementing some changes, so bear with me whilst I improve the guide.

:salute:
G B

Post #24 made 10 years ago
Joshua - I can't be sure whether the "Budweiser girls" agreed to my demands just yet!
I suspect that we may have to "up the ante" a little & see if we can use some of BobBrews BIAB vids? :lol:
G B

Post #25 made 10 years ago
Joshua - It's a good point, and one that may eventually be linked to a guide (whether this one or another)?

My main reason for doing this guide was because we see a lot of the same questions being asked. Now that isn't a bad thing, other than the information that is required actually exists on this forum in various places. So either people aren't looking, or (probably more likely) is harder to find?

I wanted an easy introduction to BIAB & terminology that could get people on their feet quickly.

People are also different in the way they absorb & understand information. Myself; if i see a document of text, I will lose interest very quickly (unless I am engaged in the subject). Whereas pictures/video (especially the packaging girls)! can keep your attention for a little bit longer.

I have updated the guide after some suggestions & helpful comments, and although it may be better there has been a bit of inevitability in increasing the amount of text involved (which goes against my principle).
Hopefully though; with the colour, pictures, & very well presented format (thank you, thank you ** bowing **) it should still be helpful to newcomers or people wanting to understand the BIABrewer terminology.

Oh.. and lastly, I'm afraid the packaging girls declined from sponsorship for this guide :shoot: :shoot:
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG1.JPG
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG2.JPG
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG3.JPG
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG4.JPG
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG5.JPG
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG6.JPG
BEGINNERS GUIDE PG7.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 29 Aug 2013, 21:10, edited 2 times in total.
G B

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 25 guests