I Heart Me - IPA

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Brewing my competition beer atm. What happens when you walk away from a boil with 9 1/2 ounces of first wort hops? A near boil over of course. :lol:
I am slowly raising my hop spider, and the bag gives way from my flange. Into the boil she goes...

Good thing I'm no chilling. I just won't be squeezing this hop bag, it is going nuts in the kettle.

This is for a club IPA showdown and the best of show goes to represent our club ECHO at the ECBF homebrewers competition.

Wish me luck ya'll. :champ:

Going for the gold.

:peace:
MS

Click here
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 18 Jan 2018, 06:45, edited 3 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 10 years ago
I brewed this today, July 12th, my dads 86 birthday !!! :thumbs:

This started as a Bells Two Hearted IPA recipe. One called for C 40, EDITED 09/03/2014; Bell's Official Two-Hearted Ale Clone Recipe
by John Mallett, Bell's Production Manager from Zymurgy Magazine http://imgur.com/r/Homebrewing/bfITU9X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I used what I had on hand.

All recipes I found used Centennial hops, I used a total 16 ounces of Palisade. :argh:
I hope this is not an extreme brew, as it is for competition for a 14B style. It won't be
citrusy, but sure as shooting :shoot: will be fruity :lol: . Anybody like apricot?
I decided to go with 3% Belgian Biscuit and 3.5% C 15 and mash at 153.5 F.

My flameout hops and hop stand went on for 70 mins with the kettle lid on. My draining into
no chill cubes didn't go well, see post #1. I'll post a picture and details later, but let's
add at least another 30 mins. At this point I didn't record a final time nor temperature.
The temperature into the second cube was about 160 F. I try not to go below 180 F.

I got 1 more point on the gravity, a 1.068 :party:

A big thanks goes out to Bobbrews and joshua for their support. :peace: And this link that jdeiro posted today, it supports my C15 and mash temp I choose; http://www.brew365.com/beer_two_hearted.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BJCP Guidelines;
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Malt flavor should be low to medium, and is generally clean and malty sweet although some
caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable at low levels."
7.1 SRM.jpg
[center]BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3 RECIPE REPORT[/center]
[center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center]
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]I Heart Me - American IPA - Batch 5[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Mad Scientist
Style: 14B
Source Recipe Link:

Original Gravity (OG): 1.067
IBU's (Tinseth): 70
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 1.04
Colour: 13.9 EBC = 7.1 SRM
ABV%: 7.26

Efficiency into Kettle (EIK): 79.5 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 71.7 %

Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 90 mins at 67.5 C = 153.5 F
Boil: 60 min
Ferment:

Volumes & Gravities

Total Water Needed (TWN): 53.3 L = 14.08 G
Volume into Kettle (VIK): 47.88 L = 12.65 G @ 1.06
End of Boil Volume - Ambient (EOBV-A): 41.07 L = 10.85 G @ 1.067
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 37 L = 9.77 G @ 1.067
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 35.63 L = 9.41 G @ 1.011 assuming apparent attenuation of 84 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)

83% Rahr 2 row (3.5 EBC = 1.8 SRM) 9601 grams = 21.17 pounds!
10.6% Bress Bonlander Munich (25.2 EBC = 12.8 SRM) 1222 grams = 2.69 pounds!
3% Belgian Biscuit (49.2 EBC = 25 SRM) 349 grams = 0.77 pounds
3.5% Great Western C 15 (29.6 EBC = 15 SRM) 401 grams = 0.89 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

70 IBU Palisade Pellets (8%AA) 272.4 grams = 9.61 ounces at 20 mins (First Wort Hopped)
0 IBU Palisade Pellets (8%AA) 136.2 grams = 4.805 ounces at 0 mins (Flame Out)
0 IBU Palisade Pellets (8%AA) 45.4 grams = 1.602 ounces at 0 mins (Hop Stand - added at 192 F)

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash) for 90 mins at 67.5 C = 153.5 F
Water Held Back from Mash: 7.5 L = 1.98 G

Mashout for for 15 mins at 77 C = 170.6 F
Water Added After Final Lauter: 7.5 L = 1.98 G

Miscellaneous Ingredients

1 Whirlfloc (Boil) 5 Mins - Clarity

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Hopsock Used: Y

Chilling Method: No-Chill

Fermentation& Conditioning

Fermention: Safale US-05

Secondary Used: N
Crash-Chilled: Y
Filtered: N
Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer

Maxi-BIAB Adjustments

Water Added After Final Lauter: 7.5 L = 1.98 G
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 13 Jul 2013, 11:02, edited 7 times in total.

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Congratulations for your old man's 86th birthday :champ:. I hope he's proud his son is a brewer :P.

Man, what a hop bill!!!!!

;)
PP

P.S. Just found a little bug in the BIABacus report. It says it's a pure BIAB, full-volume mash even though there are dilutions involved. Will get that fixed.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Mad_Scientist,

I hope this turns out for you so I can use it! You will have to be more explicit as to how you dumped the hop bag into the wort so I can emulate that also! :argh:

Good luck in the competition! :champ:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #5 made 10 years ago
BobBrews wrote:Mad_Scientist,

I hope this turns out for you so I can use it! You will have to be more explicit as to how you dumped the hop bag into the wort so I can emulate that also! :argh:

Good luck in the competition! :champ:
Well first you need to use the snap ring that comes with the garbage disposal flange kit and if it doesn't come loose at the exact time as mine did, then you have to get in there and pull it off yourself. :lol: For the right money, I will PM you with that time. :lol: Then you have to have a false bottom that traps the pellet hops from flowing out the dip tube. The hops acted as a filter bed that brought the flow down to a snails pace. :argh:

I have an email to Jaybird about the performance of his equipment. He markets hop blockers made out of the same material with 3/32" diameter holes on 5/32" centers...

5/5/2013 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

7/12/2013 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 16 Jul 2013, 05:50, edited 2 times in total.

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Mash Schedule:

Brew date: July 12th
Brew #5 using the BIABacus

ECHO competition brew- "I Heart Me" American IPA 14B, inspired by a Bells Two Hearted recipe
'Adjust Auto-Efficiency by 9.0%'.

I did a full-volume mash for 90 minutes.

1. At 30 minutes, my gravity reading was... #1 tube ; 1.056 ; 13.8 brix
2. At 60 minutes, my gravity reading was... #2 tube ; 1.059 ; 14.6 brix
3. At 90 minutes, my gravity reading was... #3 tube ; 1.061 ; 15.0 brix
**** The weight of my grain bill was... 11173 grams ; 24.63 pounds
I did not mash my 'crystal', I did a Gordon Strong thing

Quick Bonus Questions

A. The weight of my grain bill was... 11574 grams ; 25.52 pounds ****total weight with 'crystal'
B. The volume of water I mashed with was... SWN; 46.71 L ; 12.34 G
C. My average mash temperature was... 153.5 F

If you did a Mash-Out (and only if you have time.)

1. To reach a mash-out temp of 76-78 C (169 - 172 F) took (mins)... 16 mins
2. At the start of mash-out, my gravity reading was...

A. After reaching mash-out temp, before pulling the bag, I waited (mins)... 15 mins <=== 'crystal added'
B. After I pulled the bag my gravity reading was... #4 tube; PLG ; 1.065 ; 16.0 brix

MAXI-BIAB
after adding my 7.5 L of MAXI water the GIK was;
#5 tube ; GIK ; 1.058 ; 14.2 brix
#6 sample ; EOBG ; 1.068 ; 16.6 brix

Because my kettle can hold the TWN and I have a sight glasss, I fill to this headspace to begin with.
As it is heating to strike temp, I add my brewing salts. At strike temp I drain into a bucket
until I get to the SWN amount needed. I save this bucket of water for the pre-boil dilution. My last
couple of brews I noticed that I wasn't using all this water, but never measured the volume.

Yesterday's brew I measured the un-used MAXI water remaining in the bucket, it was 1.5 L.

>>> Fermentation Schedule below<<<

I have drawn out a small sample to take a gravity reading and tasting, Saturday , Sunday and today. Today is day number 6 for primary fermenting. I measured a 1.016. I started a d-rest today by adjusting the temperature 4 F higher and increasing the pressure (hopefully) by turning the knob 2 1/2 times (see pressure fermenting in a corny thread ; http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 933#p28854). Hope to get more attenuation. More is better, right? :)

Today's taste test was very ...=> :yum:

EDIT UPDATED 7-29-2013:
Fermentation Temperature and Pressure schedule:
Pitched: 7-16-2013 at 10:30 AM

Day 1 (0 - 12 hours) - 3 PSI @ 65 F
Day 1 (12 - 18 hours) - 4 PSI @ 65 F
(turned knob 1.5 turns)
Day 1 (19+ hours) - 7 PSI @ 65 F
Day 2 - 7 PSI @ 65 F
Day 3 - 7 PSI @ 65 F
Day 4 - 7 PSI @ 65 F (10 Brix)
Day 5 - 7 PSI @ 67 F (9.4 Brix)
Day 6 - 7 PSI @ 67 F (8.7 Brix)
(turned knob 2.5 turns)
Day 7 - 12 PSI @ 71 F
Day 7 - 16 PSI @ 71 F
(turned knob 2 turns)
Day 8 - 20 PSI (estimated)
Day 13 - 19.5 PSI
7-29-2013 8.7 Brix
(turned knob 1/2 turn, to determine if pressure will increase)
Day 14 -
(turned knob 2 turns)
Day 15 - (estimated as crash chill day)
Day 16 - started crash chill
(pressure was 21.5 psi @ 71 F, 1.74 volumes of CO2)
Day 33 - pressure transferred to serving kegs
(pressure was 10.0 psi @ 33 F, 2.63 volumes of CO2)

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.016
Apparent Attenuation: 76.5%
ABV: 6.8%

:peace:
MS
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 23 Jul 2013, 07:46, edited 12 times in total.

Post #8 made 10 years ago
Richard, you are worse than Aries :P. You do know it's not how much equipment you have but the way that you use it don't you? :lol:. I do secretly love these high tech equipment threads though. Got one question for you, in the second pic of post #5, what is the hinge-looking thing that I can see on the left and right of the pic?

I'm going before I get in trouble. I'm meant to be working on BIABacus stuff :roll:.

:angry:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Got one question for you, in the second pic of post #5, what is the hinge-looking thing that I can see on the left and right of the pic?
I would guess the "hinge looking thing" is a hinge, to get past all the gubbins & paraphernalia! :scratch:
Last edited by mally on 24 Jul 2013, 02:38, edited 2 times in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #10 made 10 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Richard, you are worse than Aries :P. You do know it's not how much equipment you have but the way that you use it don't you? :lol:. I do secretly love these high tech equipment threads though.

Sounds like 'equipment wars' to me, but that's another thread. Don't let Aces High find out!!! :argh: The guy with the most equipment wins. How much gubbins can you hang on 1 vessel? :lol:
PistolPatch wrote:Got one question for you, in the second pic of post #5, what is the hinge-looking thing that I can see on the left and right of the pic?
You and mally got it right, it's a hinge thingy. It's a 15 inch hinged 'pizza plate' I made, with little tiny holes. This fits through my 12 inch opening and prevents my bag from getting burned up. I also get the best crispy crust pizza too! Anybody want my pizza recipe?
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 24 Jul 2013, 08:05, edited 2 times in total.

Post #11 made 10 years ago
Sounds like 'equipment wars' to me, but that's another thread. Don't let Aces High find out!!! :argh: The guy with the most equipment wins. How much gubbins can you hang on 1 vessel? :lol:
I can't find Gubbins in the Australian Slang Dictionary? Is it new or bad spelling??
http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

G

G'Day : hello!
Gabba : Wooloongabba - the Brisbane cricket ground
GAFA (pron. gaffa) : the big nothingness of the Australian Outback. Great Australian F**k All.
Galah : fool, silly person. Named after the bird of the same name because of its antics and the noise it makes.
Garbo, garbologist : municipal garbage collector
Give it a burl : try it, have a go
Gobful, give a : to abuse, usually justifiably ("The neighbours were having a noisy party so I went and gave them a gobful")
Gobsmacked : surprised, astounded
Going off : used of a night spot or party that is a lot of fun - "the place was really going off"
Good oil : useful information, a good idea, the truth
Good onya : good for you, well done
Goog, as full as a : drunk. "Goog" is a variation of the northern English slangword "goggie" meaning an egg.
Greenie : environmentalist
Grinning like a shot fox : very happy, smugly satisfied
Grog : liquor, beer ("bring your own grog, you bludger")
Grouse (adj.) : great, terrific, very good
Grundies : undies, underwear (from Reg Grundy, a television person)
Gutful of piss : drunk, "he's got a gutful of piss"
Gyno : gynaecolo
Last edited by BobBrews on 24 Jul 2013, 20:07, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #12 made 10 years ago
Thanks Richard and lol :).

Sorry Bob has taken your thread off-topic - you know what he's like :smoke:. His Aussie slang link is pretty spot-on though.

I actually wanted to be a 'garbo' when I grew up. Thought you only had to work one day a week.

:interesting:

Post #13 made 10 years ago
I actually wanted to be a 'garbo' when I grew up. Thought you only had to work one day a week.
"when I grew up" Is that another "misspeak"? No-way you will ever do that! What is the fun in growing up??? :think: Peter Pan once said "I never want to grow up. I want to brew beer and drink it!" :drink:

Sorry for being off topic! :) I have to go out of town for a few days and I need to get my smart ass remarks in while I can! :sad:
Last edited by BobBrews on 24 Jul 2013, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #14 made 10 years ago
I think it's British slang Bob :)
G B

Post #15 made 10 years ago
Joshua,

gubbins [ˈgʌbɪnz]
n Informal
1. an object of little or no value
2. a small device or gadget
3. odds and ends; litter or rubbish
4. a silly person

OK, I am enlightened!
Last edited by BobBrews on 25 Jul 2013, 00:10, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #17 made 10 years ago
Updated post #7.

Big time volume loss due to an olympic size hop additions and hop spider bag taking a nose dive in the kettle. :lol:
Volume into Fermenter (VIF): 33.122 L / 8.75 G
Efficiency into Fermenter (EIF): 65.1%

I plan on starting a crash chill to near freezing in the next couple of days and hold it there for two weeks. Our club IPA showdown is scheduled for 8-24-2013. We are to bring 3 bottles of our brew for local club judging. The brewer who wins locally will have their three additional bottles sequestered and mailed, for a September 1st deadline, to the ECBF homebrewers competition.
PistolPatch wrote: P.S. Just found a little bug in the BIABacus report. It says it's a pure BIAB, full-volume mash even though there are dilutions involved. Will get that fixed.
And here I thought I was doing Pure BIAB. :o :lol:
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 30 Jul 2013, 09:08, edited 2 times in total.

Post #18 made 10 years ago
Good luck with the comp Richard :luck:
G B

Post #19 made 10 years ago
Thanks mally, that means alot to me atm. :peace:

After reading a long dicussion about a 'Pliny' Imperial IPA, I got to looking at one of my new books called "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John J Palmer. On page 188 there is a recipe with a huge hop bill like mine, totaling 1 pound. :argh: They suggest 'to bump up the recipe' by 4 L/ 1 G, to make up for the 'massive' hopping.

That's where my 1 G went, the hops took it. :lol:

Post #20 made 10 years ago
Transferred my 'winning' beer to serving kegs yesterday, Sunday, 8-18-2013 on day 33 of yeast pitching (see schedule above).

I pledged 5 gallons to be served at the ECBF, so with 2 partially filled fermenting kegs, I entered into a new experience of filling a keg full from a 2nd fermenting keg. We had several days of rain due to a tropical weather event, I didn't get/see a clear frost line forming (the line was not well defined, I think from very high humidity, very thick condensation). Well, the force was with me (starwars), I over filled the keg till it started flowing out the gas tube. Dumb luck, I had to drain one quart of perfectly good beer into a clean mason jar, holy cow :o , that was so good.

One pound of hops, ya'll, and absolutely no biting hop bitterness. I know the ladies will like it. Do you think this will fit the beer style guidelines though? Free samples to all. :lol:

Our club IPA showdown is this coming Saturday afternoon, wish me luck!

Stock photo of a typical pressure transfer of mine;

3/2/2013 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 20 Aug 2013, 06:52, edited 2 times in total.

Post #21 made 10 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:One pound of hops, ya'll, and absolutely no biting hop bitterness. I know the ladies will like it. Do you think this will fit the beer style guidelines though?
Would really like to taste this beer Richard. I think the lack of bite might go down really well. A few years ago IPA's seemed to be one massive bite that blew your taste buds up in a single sip. Nowadays, I think judges are more looking for a balanced IPA.

I'm not sure if you can describe beers (I can't) but would be great to hear more of an explanation of what this one tastes like....

BobBrews might remember and be able to link the Basic Brewing podcast where the guy from a country I can't remember now brewed a similiar massively late-hopped beer. Maybe send a bottle to James Spencer?

Good on you,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Aug 2013, 19:22, edited 2 times in total.

Post #22 made 10 years ago
April 12, 2012 - Hop Bursting IBU Test
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?p ... radio-2012
Home Brewer Kim Odland from Norway brewed a beer with an enormous amount of hops added at the end of the boil. Brad Sturgeon from Monmouth College puts it through his lab to look at its IBUs.

iTunes | Streaming mp3
http://ec.libsyn.com/p/c/b/6/cb6cb5bd39 ... id=4441781

Very enlightening show!

Award winning beer! Good job! :champ:
Last edited by BobBrews on 20 Aug 2013, 19:36, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #23 made 10 years ago
Thanks guys for your support, that means a lot to me. :P With the club competition this Saturday, I will ask everyone to write down their tasting notes.

I'm attaching my recipe with my actuals included.

This is my best brew/recipe, this year. I have six more pounds of Palisade hops to finish up. Although I like my Rogue Dead Guy, this one deserves my attention, atm. I also like my Brown and Double Brown recipes too.

So, with my hop spider fiasco, I need to dial this recipe several more times to get my fermenting volumes I desire and possibly lowering the mash temp. (although I like it as it is now and see what my club thinks).

Brew Date: 7-12-2013 (with my actuals and notes included).

BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3 RECIPE REPORT
BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.
(Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info for the latest version.)

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Mad Scientist
Style: 14B
Source Recipe Link: I Heart Me - American IPA

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068
IBU's (Tinseth): 70
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 1.04
Colour: 13.9 EBC = 7.1 SRM
ABV%: 6.61

Estimated Efficiencies;
Efficiency into Kettle (EIK): 79.5 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 71.7 %

Mad Scientist Effficiences;
End of Boil Efficiency (EOBE): 80.7 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 65.1 %

Times and Temperatures
Mash: 90 mins at 67.5 C = 153.5 F
Mashout for for 15 mins at 77 C = 170.6 F
Boil: 60 min

Volumes & Gravities
Total Water Needed (TWN): 53.3 L = 14.08 G
Volume into Kettle (VIK): 47.88 L = 12.65 G @ 1.058
End of Boil Volume - Ambient (EOBV-A): 41.07 L = 10.85 G @ 1.068
Kettle to Fermenter Loss (KFL): N/A
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 33.12 L = 8.75 G @ 1.068
Volume into Packaging (VIP): N/A @ 1.016 assuming apparent attenuation of 76.5 %

The Grain Bill
83% Rahr 2 row (3.5 EBC = 1.8 SRM) 9601 grams = 21.17 pounds
10.6% Bress Bonlander Munich (25.2 EBC = 12.8 SRM) 1222 grams = 2.69 pounds
3% Belgian Biscuit (49.2 EBC = 25 SRM) 349 grams = 0.77 pounds
3.5% Great Western C 15 (29.6 EBC = 15 SRM) 401 grams = 0.89 pounds

70 IBU Palisade Pellets (8%AA) 272.4 grams = 9.61 ounces at 20 mins (First Wort Hopped)
0 IBU Palisade Pellets (8%AA) 45.4 grams = 1.602 ounces at 0 mins (Hop Stand) Added at 192 F
The time from flame out to the start of draining into no chill cubes was 1 hour and 11 mins. (kettle covered with lid)
Had issues with the draining because of the hop spider fiasco, took approx. 30 mins., if not more.
The temperature was very close to 160 F near the end of draining.

Miscellaneous Ingredients
1 Whirlfloc (Boil) 5 Mins - Clarity

Chilling & Hop Management Method
Hopsock Used: Y and N :lol: ; http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... 183#p31768
Chilling Method: No-Chill

Fermentation& Conditioning
Fermention: Safale US-05 for 4 days at 18.5 C = 65.3 F
Fermention: continued... for 2 days at 19.5 C = 67.1 F
Diacetyl Rest: 10 days at 21.8 C = 71.2 F
Crash-Chilled: 17 days at 00.5 C = 33.0 F
Secondary Used: N
Filtered: N

Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer
To reach a mash-out temp of 76-78 C (169 - 172 F) took 16 mins.
After reaching mash-out temp, before pulling the bag, I waited 15 mins.
Add crystal during the mash-out

Maxi-BIAB Adjustments
Water Added After Final Lauter: 6.0 L = 1.59 G

Post #24 made 10 years ago
THE RESULTS
This is what I did -
I bottled 9 bottles from the keg, the morning of the showdown competition. I set 3 chilled bottles down on the table (see photo), next thing I here from Beach Bum Mike, "NO CARBONATION". There were score sheets which some of us used, afterwards I found all the ones marked for my (#5) entry, one said "lifeless" and the other two "DMS". :argh: I didn't even vote for my beer nor my girlfriend. Now, I had not tasted my beer since the transfer day (just a few days before), so why did MS say this, "holy cow :o , that was so good" in post #21 (the day of transfer to serving kegs). I guess it was good at the time, but now, :scratch: yeah, it's carbed and it's clear. This is the WORST beer I made I reckon, there's no prominent hop 'anything' and kinda has a non-enjoyable aftertaste. What could this be? Could it be DMS, does this kill all enjoyment in the taste?

I said in post #24-
0 IBU Palisade Pellets (8%AA) 45.4 grams = 1.602 ounces at 0 mins (Hop Stand) Added at 192 F
The time from flame out to the start of draining into no chill cubes was 1 hour and 11 mins. (kettle covered with lid)
Had issues with the draining because of the hop spider fiasco, took approx. 30 mins., if not more.

I'm finishing up one keg, at present, and have one 5 gallon keg pledged to the Oktoberfest. "Iron" Mike says, "We have 5 beers for ECBF and 3 are IPAs. I'd suggest holding it for Oktoberfest since we'll need a good IPA to showcase." He is such a diplomat. Maybe it will get better in another 30 day, but why doesn't it taste good NOW???

ECHO IPA Showdown 8-24-2013.jpg
Our club president had these kind words to say about my entry;
"Richard [MS] would win the clarity award--if we had one. That beer just sparkled and he claims he doesn't filter! Definitely proves that BIAB technique brews great beer."

We had 5 entries this year. "Beach Bum" Mike got the popular vote (pictured above in a previous post
with his silver medal). He does make very good beer, brews about 250 gallons a year. "Iron" Mike had a very good beer too, he hosted the showdown. Mine was also an American IPA, 14B style, got no votes. There was an Imperial IPA, 14C, which was liked, but was rushed through the process, and an English IPA, 14A, that was liked, but had a lot of yeast sediment.

Club president "Iron" Mike in foreground, MS in black/white stripe shirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 04 Sep 2013, 08:49, edited 2 times in total.

Post #25 made 10 years ago
Thanks Bob and Joshua
BobBrews wrote:April 12, 2012 - Hop Bursting IBU Test
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?p ... radio-2012
Home Brewer Kim Odland from Norway brewed a beer with an enormous amount of hops added at the end of the boil. Brad Sturgeon from Monmouth College puts it through his lab to look at its IBUs.

iTunes | Streaming mp3
http://ec.libsyn.com/p/c/b/6/cb6cb5bd39 ... id=4441781

Very enlightening show!
I have renewed interest in making this beer again using 16 oz / 450 g of Palisade hops, but with about 85% going in at 5 mins.. This broadcast has 90% at 5 mins. and 10% at dry hop, I too would need 900 grams to get 72 Tinseth (90 Tinseth lab tested), but I'm not THAT MAD to do that! :lol: , so I am looking at adding some at 60 mins. as a base bitterness.

James and Kim (broadcast show) said this was 'easy drinking' and had an 'aromatic bitterness'. Everyone loved it.

How does this look to all ya'll?

IBU's (Tinseth): 60
26.5 IBU Palisade Pellets (8%AA) 62.5 grams = 2.205 ounces at 60 mins
33.5 IBU Palisade Pellets (8%AA) 395.9 grams = 13.965 ounces at 5 mins
Mad_Scientist wrote: I said in post #24-
I think my harshness and aftertaste issues were mostly from the FWH calculated at 20 mins. instead of 60 mins. Joshua, How could I get 20-25% utitilization out of my flame out hops? Kim (from the broadcast) did use a wort chiller and chilled it within 35 mins.

For my next brew, if I limit the contact time of the hops to the wort to 30 - 40 mins. and squeeze the hop spider dry, there wouldn't be anymore utilitization going on in the no chill cube, would there?
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 05 Sep 2013, 08:39, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests