First brew underway

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Hi all
got my first biab brew underway and in fermentor.
Didnt have any major issues with the setup, I put this down to searching and reading articles on this website, lots of good help and advice to be found.

Used Graham wheelers book and the calculator to copy london pride recipe
as i live in france and the tap water has a very chlorine tang to it and bottled water is cheap i use it for brewing
I Lie I did have a issue with the wood cladding on the boiler, it started to burn so i had to shorten it by about an inch.

Will report back when the brew is ready and let you know what the result is
100 ltr boiler.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wr400 on 02 Jun 2013, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 11 years ago
You have a unique set up. I trust you will do something about the wood burning? Maybe you should do a few smoked beers until you have it under control? Anyway, I expect your beer will be excellent! Let us know how it came out! Good brewing to you!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Hi Bob Brews

The burning wood is under control now, did panic a bit when i returned to the shed to find it full of smoke.
still no damage done except to the wood cladding.

Gary

Post #4 made 11 years ago
wr400,

It doesn't mater if it looks a bit warn, burnt or ugly. It will be perfect! (I am "proof" of that!) I "wood" still be careful until your experience shows that your pot will not burn up! That would be a first on this forum! ( pot burns up on brewer ) What a headline that would make?

I love the looks of your kit! Keep on brewing!!!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 11 years ago
Nice job wr400 and lol on the wood. That was a close call :argh:.

100 L boiler too - massive!

Wonder what the fix would be to stop this happening again? I'd be a bit scared at only taking an inch off :think:.

Congratulations on your first one :thumbs: :salute: :champ:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 11 years ago
Hi Pistol Patch
Thanks, cant wait to do another :thumbs:
The pot is big at 100 ltrs but I already had it so I put it to use.
All my other stuff from kit brewing is for 25ltr batchs so that is what I will be brewing for the moment.
I will keepan eye on it the next brew and if needed take another inch off ,I will probably end up with just an inch wide strip around the top of the pot :lol:

Post #7 made 11 years ago
You have a 100L kettle wr400. I have a 70 L one. Maybe do what I do?

What I do is double batch. At the end of the boil, I drain half the wort into a no-chill cube which I can ferment a few months or a year later. The remaining half I chill and ferment immediately.

You can get caught up with the pedantics of hop management etc but I don't do that. I get good marks when I do choose to go in comps. In many/most beer styles, chilling or no-chilling is not a major/critical factor. So, next brew day, maybe go for a double batch? Twice the volume for only a fraction more time.

:party:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Gas-Fired BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 3 guests