Perth 7th July - Chill v No-Chill Tasting and Freo Pub Crawl

Post #1 made 12 years ago
The results from our brew day here will be available for tasting Saturday 2pm on July 7.

What we thought we'd do is triangle taste the two beers say from 2pm to 4pm at my place and then head down to Fremantle to sample a paddle or two at a few of the pubs down there.

Everyone's welcome but let me know in advance so we can give you some addresses and contact details.

If you have a beer you want others to taste, bring it along ;).

:peace:
PP & AcesHigh
Last edited by PistolPatch on 24 Jun 2012, 18:42, edited 4 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 12 years ago
Ive been offline for a few months now... its a bugger i missed the brew day...and i will miss the tasting day because i'm playing footy that arvo!! BBUUGGEERR!!
"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”Dave Berry

Post #7 made 12 years ago
Good stuff guys ;).

That's a real shame redlegger. One day we'll get there mate. Keep the Royal Show tasting free ;).

Some other troops that are coming are Jason (uneekwahn), his wife and baby daughter, Johnno (skippy), Aaron (CptSuds), Barry and a few others that are trying to get leave passes.

I am hoping Aces brings his dog :kisswink:

:lol:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #8 made 11 years ago
Just kegged these beers and Aces, I've got to say, that is a really nice recipe. I tasted them flat and thought, "That's so bloody good, I'm going to carb a bottle of each up straight away." Have had about a third of each bottle, alternately, and have now put them back in the fridge to taste again tomorrow just to double-check it is that good! If it tastes the same tomorrow, this recipe is going to be a keeper for me, so thank you very much Stu :peace:.

That being said, there's a chance that Stu might have to do another sudden trip to Sydney this week. Let's hope not!!!

pHman is definitely out for next Saturday as it's his daughter's birthday. (Just because she's 17 doesn't mean she can't drink beer pH :sad:.

sinkas is in!

I'll have a bit more time during the week to invite a few more bods.

;)
PP

Post #10 made 11 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Just kegged these beers and Aces, I've got to say, that is a really nice recipe. I tasted them flat and thought, "That's so bloody good, I'm going to carb a bottle of each up straight away." Have had about a third of each bottle, alternately, and have now put them back in the fridge to taste again tomorrow just to double-check it is that good! If it tastes the same tomorrow, this recipe is going to be a keeper for me, so thank you very much Stu :peace:.

That being said, there's a chance that Stu might have to do another sudden trip to Sydney this week. Let's hope not!!!

pHman is definitely out for next Saturday as it's his daughter's birthday. (Just because she's 17 doesn't mean she can't drink beer pH :sad:.

sinkas is in!

I'll have a bit more time during the week to invite a few more bods.

;)
PP
glad it tastes good, it just proves that you can abuse a recipe in so many ways and still get a good tasting beer :thumbs: Well ales anyway, so other ones aren't so forgiving. Probably why I have a tap dedicated to ales.

im having a coffee right now, then going out into the cold to keg my two beers and have a breakfast taste
Last edited by Aces high on 01 Jul 2012, 08:52, edited 4 times in total.

Post #12 made 11 years ago
Kegging went smoothly....not.The gas was about to run out (its amazing how quickly it drops once it hits the red zone on the reg) and i had a leaky gas poppet that had to be dismantled, cleaned relubed and reassembled after the keg had been filled and gassed.

They didn't taste as bitter as my original, but considering i had no breakfast, a coffee then beer, my tastebuds my not have been at their best

Post #13 made 11 years ago
Lylo wrote:How in the world are you ever going to repeat that :argh: recipe? :scratch:
Easy mate! All we need is the right equipment again... one broken thermometer and several brewers with beers constantly in their hand from mash in and not concentrating :lol:.

Sorry to hear you can't make it Mr Boring. Let me know if you are passing by at some stage and want to drop in for a taste ;).

Stu, I had another sip then and it still tastes great. (Bit early for me too). I won't say here what I noticed as it's probably best to wait until Saturday. Bloody kegs eh? :lol:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 01 Jul 2012, 11:44, edited 4 times in total.

Post #14 made 11 years ago
Unfortunately I can't make it as I'm working Saturday evening. Which is a real shame as I'm gettle my kettle sorted out tomorrow and will be getting the chiller next week and am hoping to have my first BIAB done by late next week, would've been nice to have a chat with people that know what they're doing beforehand.

By the way I got the material for my bag today.

Post #15 made 11 years ago
Sorry you can't make it Mike.

Congrats on getting your gear together. See if you can plan your recipe in advance so as we can give it a check over before you go shopping for the ingredients.

PP

Post #16 made 11 years ago
Will do, was just going to do a couple of basic pilsners to begin with until I get the hang of it. Although the war ministry is pretty keen on me having a go at some banana bread beer

Post #17 made 11 years ago
Maybe get a new war ministry? :lol:

I have some nice recipes for pilsners but you might get impatient waiting to drink them :evil:. So maybe also consider doing an ale or a kolsch for your first brew and then do a pilsner after? This will give you something to drink while you are waiting.

If you are passing near East Freo in the next week or so, PM me and if I'm here, you can drop in and taste a few beers.

Post #18 made 11 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Maybe get a new war ministry? :lol:
A wise man once said to me "Why would anyone put themselves through that much pain twice"
PistolPatch wrote:I have some nice recipes for pilsners but you might get impatient waiting to drink them :evil:. So maybe also consider doing an ale or a kolsch for your first brew and then do a pilsner after? This will give you something to drink while you are waiting.
I've learnt patience is a virtue when it comes to homebrewing (haven't got much at any other time though) and I've got 16 kegs full to keep me going (plus another in a fermentor that should be getting kegged in about a week.
PistolPatch wrote:If you are passing near East Freo in the next week or so, PM me and if I'm here, you can drop in and taste a few beers.

I'm in Carlisle (although I do pass near East Freo quite frequently dropping in just isn't possible as the boss might get a bit cranky), but if I'm likely to be heading over that way I'll let you know. Thank you so much for the invite, it might be worth me making a special trip at some point soon, even if it's only to pick your brains.
Last edited by bigmike on 03 Jul 2012, 18:38, edited 4 times in total.

Post #19 made 11 years ago
Once - hahaha! 16 kegs should do the trick ;).

If my place is too far, invite yourself to AcesHigh's as he lives close to you and would be able to give you a beer as well. Otherwise drop in here if you get a chance.

Just trying to see if we have enough people coming on Saturday...

NME
Pat (to clean up the place again)
lukasfab
AcesHigh (if no Sydney trip)
stevem01 (let me know if you want to bring your cohorts)
uneekwahn
Mrs uneekwahn
sinkas
skippy
CptSuds
Barry

I think we can do with a few more so I'll invite some others.

Cheers,
PP

Post #20 made 11 years ago
Aces is still good for tomorrow but uneekwahn is almost definitely not going to make it as he has to get ground ready for 1000 pavers being laid on Monday with the rain :shock:.

Renos :roll:.

A few of the above can't do the Freo bit so we can see tomorrow if we go down there or stay here for a bit longer.

Post #22 made 11 years ago
well yesterday was another great afternoon! sampling some great beers with a bunch of brewers.

Pat had setup a controlled taste testing chill vs no chill and to be honest i could not tell the difference.
some guys could notice slightly higher bitterness with no chill but it must have been minimal.

unfortunately i was unable to join the crew for more beer sampling down at Freo, waiting to hear how the night went :smoke:

Post #23 made 11 years ago
Sorry you couldn't get there mike :sad:.

Thanks a heap for the lift Lucas :thumbs:. Freo was funny :lol:. Simon and Steve managed to do a few paddles while the rest of us had so many great beers here that everyone had brought, our palates were shot. (Maybe we should have turned the glass around :think: :lol:)).

And how good to get a surprise late entry from Rob :peace:.

Forgot to get someone to triangle test me but I don't reckon I would have picked a difference anyway. So, let's say the two of us couldn't pick a difference, one picked a difference but not on the right beer and four did pick a difference.

Out of those 4...

NME: Was given the chill as the odd beer. Out of 50, he scored the chilled beer 3 points lower (41 vs 38) due to its, "more subtle/muted in bitterness."

Skippy: Also given a chill as the odd one out. He scored the chilled beer 7 points higher (48 vs 41) due to, "more hops aroma, hop bitterness."

Aces: Stu picked the correct odd one out but like me, finds it hard to score / describe beers. (He might be able to add his impressions below).

Rob: Rob was given a no-chill as the odd one out. He scored the chilled beer 5 points lower (34 vs 29)than the no-chill due to the no-chill being, "slightly less bitter but with more pronounced aroma."

So make of it what you will :scratch:. No guarantees either that I didn't make an error in my pouring/recording :cool:.

Both the above brews used the BIAB bag as a hop sock which was pulled 5 mins after the boil. We all thought it would be interesting to do the same thing on a low IBU beer.

Anyway, great to have a beer and get to actually have a yarn this time instead of racing around brewing. Thanks a heap to for the excellent beers.

:thumbs:
PP

Post #24 made 11 years ago
At the end of the day it comes down to personal taste and you're really going to struggle to get any number of people to all come up with the same result when it comes to tasting.

I have been doing kits brews (and soon to be doing BIABs) to suit my own taste preferances, afterall myself and the war ministry are the ones that drink a vast majority of it.

Post #25 made 11 years ago
What a great day, I've never done the triangle testing before, I couldn't really pick a difference, from the results my feeling would be that for an IPA no difference chill or no chill. Though as was discussed likely to be different for more subdued styles.

Plenty of good conversation at the Sail and a great little band to finish off the night.

Return to “Australia & New Zealand”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests