Use this thread to convert recipes to suit your equipment...

Post #1 made 14 years ago
[center]Before helping others to convert a recipe they post here, please make sure you have fully read and understood this post and the others it refers to.[/center]

Every beer recipe needs to be adjusted to suit both your own brewing method as well as your equipment. For example, it will be obvious to all but the newest brewers that an extract recipe needs to be converted to a grain recipe. What is not so obvious to those entering the world of all-grain is that recipes need to be adjusted for your equipment also.

Whether you BIAB, batch-sparge or fly-sparge, any recipe you see on the net or in a book needs to be converted to your own equipment's evaporation rate, efficiency and batch size. The only time that a recipe would never need any adjustments is if the brewer whose recipe you were using happened to have exactly the same evaporation rate, efficiency and batch size that you have/want. This, of course, is never the case.

Converting recipes can be very confusing for new all-grain brewers. It can even be confusing for some older ones - grain and hop names used by one brewer may not be easily recognised by another.

The good news is that there are enough experienced BIABrewer members here to help you get your recipe up to the detailed recipe format that can be seen here.

So, if you see a recipe that you like the look of whether it be extract or all-grain, post it up here and someone will convert and explain it for you. Once you get the hang of this, please make sure you do the same for a few other new BIABrewers.

The post that follows shows the type of information that you should try and provide when asking for a recipe to be converted.

Happy calculating,
BIABrewer

[center]Before helping others to convert a recipe they post here, please make sure you have fully read and understood this post and the others it refers to.[/center]
Last edited by BIABrewer on 16 Jun 2010, 19:47, edited 10 times in total.

Post #2 made 14 years ago
[center]When asking for a recipe to be converted, please supply as much information as possible.[/center]

When asking for a recipe to be converted, two areas need to be addressed...

The Source of Your Recipe

Try and copy and paste, link or write all the information you have about the recipe you wish to convert. If you copy a 'recipe report' what program did it come from?

Any recipe conversion will involve errors. For example, bitterness units of hop additions calculated by one brewing program or formula will rarely match another program or formula. Terminology also often does not match. Efficiency, grain names, hop names and batch sizes are just some things that are not well-defined. By adding in all the information you have available, many errors are avoided.

The Result of Your Recipe

You must know at least two things before asking for a recipe to be converted. These are...

1. Your Kettle Size and Shape - Kettle size and shape affects your evaporation rate. If you have never brewed before, supplying this information will enable those assisting you to use The Calculator to estimate your evaporation rate.

2. Your Fermenter Size - This will enable those assisting you to determine how bigger batch you can brew given your kettle and fermenter size.

If you have done a few brews and know other details such as your real evaporation rate, your actual, "end of boil," efficiency and desired brew length, then provide these also.

Also remember to let those who help you out know your results as it does take a bit of time to convert a recipe into an easy to use format. In fact, if you end up enjoying the results, please pass on their work by publishing the recipe in the BIAB Recipes forum.

Make sure you give those who helped you a mention ;),
BIABrewer

[center]When asking for a recipe to be converted, please supply as much information as possible.[/center]
Last edited by BIABrewer on 16 Jun 2010, 20:17, edited 10 times in total.

Post #3 made 14 years ago
[Administration Note: goldy posted the below whilst the post above was still being written. It looks as though he has done all that is needed though. Top job goldy and good luck!]

Hi Guys,

Looking at making this one on the weekend, I have a new pot that I haven't used yet though.

Still a little confused with volumes etc (perfect timing for this post).

My Pot is a 60ltr Chef Inox:

Diameter: 43.8cm
Depth: 40cm.

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers
Goldy

Original recipe is here
Style American Pale Ale
Method All Grain
Original Gravity 1.046
Final Gravity 1.011
Alcohol Content 4.55%
Efficiency 70%
Total IBU (Bitterness) 18.6
EBC (colour) 9

Fermentation Details
Primary 7 days
Secondary 0 days
Conditioning 0 weeks

Ingredient List for 22L Batch
Volume/Amount Ingredient Name
3.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.8 kg BB Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Flaked Wheat
0.1 kg Weyermann Munich I
15 g Galena (Flowers, 14.9 AA%, 10 mins)
25 g Galena (Flowers, 14.9 AA%, 5 mins)
10 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale

Brewer's Notes
This was a no-chill beer, hence only late hopping and slightly higher IBU's than listed. Not quite the same as the Stone and Wood but very nice all the same.

I used raw wheat instead of flaked and the Galena is meant to be Galaxy (not in the recipe DB).
Last edited by goldy on 16 Jun 2010, 20:18, edited 10 times in total.

Post #4 made 14 years ago
Hi there goldy :).

I'll have a crack at working things out for you as best as I can. Being the first one to answer a question here, I will go overboard and explain all my thinking. You'll probably fall asleep soon :). I'm sure that future posters will be a bit more "efficient" than I am ;).

It actually took me quite a while to write in the manner below. In real life, and only because I have done quite a few brews, it only takes a few minutes.

Fingers crossed that the below helps rather than confuses. If it does, just go with the results ;).

[center]Restrictions on the Result of Your Recipe[/center]

Providing your kettle measurements and shape is the perfect start. I noticed that your post was made before BIABrewer's second post and that he moved it so I am going to assume that you only have a 25lt fermenter. (If you have a 30lt fermenter then you can increase things a bit.)

With a pale ale using US-05 yeast in a 25 L fermenter, you can safely put 23 L of wort into that fermenter. So, our first restriction is...

Volume into Fermenter: Should equal and not exceed 23 L.

Kettle Size: I know from experience that 60 L is more than enough to get 23 L into the fermenter so this is no problem. If I thought there could be a problem, I would keep an eye on the, "Approximate Mash Volume," figure that is provided in The Calculator.

[center]Checking the Recipe Information Provided[/center]

Ingredients: Glancing at your ingredients, I understand all the information you have provided which is great. For example, if you hadn't provided the grain manufacturer's name I might have had to ask what the colour was. You have given the AA%, times and weights of the hops so all is great here as well. (The Galena/Galaxy discrepancy is irrelevant to our calcs.)

Chilling Method: You will rarely see the chilling method described in a recipe. It was great of the source to do so but for all practical purposes, when converting recipes, we can ignore this as some brewers thinks it makes a difference and others dont.

Original Gravity and Bitterness: These two important figures have been provided. This is tops and is often the only information we can work from. Because you have provided a heap of other information goldy, we don't have to rely on these and can be a bit more accurate.

[center]Converting the Recipe[/center]

With all the information you have provided above, any brewing software can be used to scale and convert this recipe. I will use The Calculator seeing as everyone here has access to it.

The Grain Bill

Despite so much information being provided, only two "definite" things can be gained from the recipe at this stage. They are the, "End of Boil Gravity," (OG) which equals 1.046 and the grain bill used to achieve this which equals 4.6 kg.

Opening The Calculator I will first fill in the End of Boil Gravity figure with 1.046.

Secondly, I will change the End of Boil Efficiency figure to 70% as this is the only volume-related figure provided in the original recipe.

Thirdly, I will change the Diameter of Kettle figure to 43.8 cm as provided by you.

Now I will keep changing the Brew Length figure until the Grain Bill Required figure equals 4.6 kg - the total of the original recipe's grain bill.

The result is a Brew Length of 17.1 L.

(Take a note now of the End of Boil Volume figure - write it down!) In this case it is about 21.5 L.

I know though that BIAB is more efficient than 70%. The default on The Calculator at time of writing is 75% though most brewers would find they get better than 75%. As goldy does not know his efficiency figure yet, we will use the default of 75%.

We also know that he can end up with 23 L in his fermenter so let's change the Brew Length figure a few times until "Volume into Fermenter" = 23 L. A brew length of 21.3 L will give us this. So, given Goldy's desire to get 23 L into his fermenter, his evaporation rate (determined by kettle diameter)and his efficiency (default of 75%) we can now see that The Calculator tells us to use 5362 grams of grain for his brew.

So, jumping to the Grain Bill part of The Calculator (the second sheet of the spreadsheet), I will fill in coumn D as no percentages of grain were provided. In other words,

Grain 1 = 3500 g, Grain 2 = 800 g, Grain 3 = 200 g and Grain 4 = 100 g.

On the right hand side of this sheet I can see how much grain that goldy will need to get more beer (23 l in his fermenter versus 17.1 l) at 75% versus 70% efficiency.

Goldy, you need to order...

4080 g of BB Ale Malt
932 g of BB Wheat Malt
233 g of Flaked Wheat
117 g of Munich 1.

The Hop Bill

Moving to the Hop Bill part of The Calculator (Sheet 3) we can type in on the left hand side the original hops used.

Hop 1 was 15 g at 14.9%AA. In column G we type 10 under "Time." Hop 2 was 25 g at 14.9%AA at 5 minutes.

Above these figures in the End of Boil Volume cell you should type in 21.5 L. (This is the figure you were asked to write down above. Don't worry, I forgot too!)

Now on the right, just type in the AA% of the hops you have in your possession.

Now, you will see your adjusted hop weights. Assuming that your hops goldy are also of 14.9%AA then for your brew, you will need...

18.7 g of Galaxy (14.9%AA) at 10 minutes before the end of the boil
31.2 g of Galaxy (14.9%AA) at 5 minutes before the end of the boil.

Volume of Water Needed

The "Water Required" field on the first sheet of The Caclualtor tells you that you need 39.88 L for your brew.

There you go* - lol!
PP

* I hope the above is not too confusing but there is really no way around understanding this. In future in this thread, I will try and be a bit briefer ;).
Last edited by PistolPatch on 16 Jun 2010, 22:07, edited 13 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 14 years ago
This is going to be my first AG and my first BIAB. I've read up on AG and BIAB a tonne this past week, but if someone could just hold my hand and basically help create this recipe for me (and explain so I can do it myself next time) that'd be very much appreciated!

I'm wanting to make a Traditional Bock. Having a hard time finding a recipe so if you have suggestions I'll take it! Otherwise http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f61/traditi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ck-131304/
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast Bohemian Lager #2124
Yeast Starter: Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Litres or Gallons): 5.75 gal
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 26
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 19
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 11 @ 48 F
Additional Fermentation: 60 @ 34 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30 @ 48 F
Tasting Notes: Malty with some toasty and caramel flavors, no roasted flavor. Clean and balanced.

This brew was about 82% brewhouse efficiency.

All the German malts were Weyermann, Special B was Castle IIRC.
6 lb German Pils
3 lb German Light Munich
3 lb German Dark Munich
.75 lb German Caramunich II
.25 lb Belgian Special B
.125 lb German Carafa Special II

All whole hops from Hops Direct.
.5 oz. Hallertau 4.5% FWH
.25 oz. Magnum 14% 60 min.
.75 oz. Hallertau 4.5% 60 min.
.5 oz. Hallertau 4.5% 10 min.

Single-infusion mash @ ~149 F for 1 hour.
I only have a 5gallon(roughly 19 liters) brew pot, using a stovetop. So I'm limited to about a 2.5gal batch it seems. Going to primary in a 5 gallon carboy and then swap it over to my 3gal for secondary/extended lagering. I have a mini-fridge Ranco controlled setup for the lager temps. Yay 100F weather not impeding me.

Edit____________________________________-
Ok, here's what Ive come up with so far

2.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain
1.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain
1.50 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain
0.35 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain
0.15 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain
0.03 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain

Brew Length 10.00 L How much packaged beer you want to end up with.
Fermenter Trub* 0.80 L Volume left in fermenter after kegging/bottling.
Volume into Fermenter 10.80 L End of boil volume less kettle trub & buffer.
Kettle Trub & Buffer* 1.80 L Grain & hop trub plus some breathing space!
End of Boil Volume (Batch Size) 12.60 L Use this figure as your software batch size.
Boil Length 60 min 90 minutes recommended.
Diameter of Kettle 30.48 cm The widest diameter of your kettle.
Evaporation Per Hour* 3.12 L per hr Stays fairly constant regardless of batch size.
Evaporation for this Brew 3.12 L Derived from boil length & evaporation per hr.
Start of Boil Volume 15.72 L End of boil volume plus evap, for this brew.
Grain Bill 2857 g Weight of grain used in this brew.
Grain Absorption* 1.79 L How much liquid is retained in the spent grain.
Water Required is... 17.52 L How much water you need for this brew.
Approximate Mash Volume 19.40 L Approximate total volume of your mash.
Last edited by iijakii on 16 Jun 2010, 23:39, edited 9 times in total.

Post #6 made 14 years ago
iijakii - Looks like you have done pretty well iijakii. I just sent a message to Ralph asking him to have a look at your recipe as he should be able to show you how to get some more volume out of your pot. He does mini-BIABs all the time. Good luck mate.

Goldy - have just fixed one error I had on the weight of Grain 2. I had made a typo. Also have added your "Water Required" figure.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 17 Jun 2010, 07:09, edited 9 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #7 made 14 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:iijakii - Looks like you have done pretty well iijakii. I just sent a message to Ralph asking him to have a look at your recipe as he should be able to show you how to get some more volume out of your pot. He does mini-BIABs all the time. Good luck mate.

Goldy - have just fixed one error I had on the weight of Grain 2. I had made a typo. Also have added your "Water Required" figure.
Cool. Unfortunately my minifridge didn't pan out, so now I am waiting on a chest-freezer to pan out to use my Ranco controller on. So for now I'm back to ale. How does this one work?

http://miniurl.com/42612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Code: Select all

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: McStout
Brewer: John
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.50 gal      
Boil Size: 4.40 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 58.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 47.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
4.00 lb       Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        67.2 %        
0.70 lb       Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)                Grain        11.8 %        
0.50 lb       Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        8.4 %         
0.40 lb       Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)                     Grain        6.7 %         
0.35 lb       Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        5.9 %         
1.00 oz       Cascade [5.50%]  (60 min)                 Hops         43.1 IBU      
0.50 oz       Cascade [5.50%]  (5 min)                  Hops         4.3 IBU       
1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)          Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.95 lb
----------------------------
Name               Description                         Step Temp     Step Time     
Saccharification   Add 17.00 quart of water at 163.5 F    158.0 F       40 min        
Mash Out           Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min         168.0 F       10 min        

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by iijakii on 17 Jun 2010, 07:27, edited 9 times in total.

Post #8 made 14 years ago
PistolPatch wrote: Goldy - have just fixed one error I had on the weight of Grain 2. I had made a typo. Also have added your "Water Required" figure.
Awesome work PP, thanks heaps for the info. I saw that grain volume & figured it was a typo. Am playing with the sheet to replicate you figures now.

Thanks heaps, this stuff really helps out as a new BIABer

Cheers
Goldy
Last edited by goldy on 17 Jun 2010, 09:15, edited 9 times in total.

Post #9 made 14 years ago
Goldy

As I drove off this morning I realised I had made a major error in my calcs. I had put 23L in as the "Brew Length" instead of adjusting the Brew Length until "Volume into Fermenter" equalled 23 L. (Unfortunately 23 L is my usual brew length so I am in the habit of seeing that figure at the top :).) I also copied the wrong row of grain figures over :o.

I hope you weren't scratching your head all day :shock:.

I have now re-written the post so all the figures should be right now and improved some of the explanation. I have also completed the template below for you and have attached a copy of your recipe as I have written it in The Calculator.

Fingers crossed I have it right this time. I promise to do my next conversion while not drinking beer :).

OVERVIEW

Style: American Pale Ale
Name:
Yeast: US-56
Original Gravity: 1.046
Total IBU's: 16.5 according to The Calculator
Colour (EBC): 9
Efficiency at End of Boil: 75%
Mash Length (mins): 90
Boil Length (mins): 90
Your Vessel Type (Pot/Keggle/Urn): 60 L Pot
Source/Credits:
Notes/Instructions/Comments:

Volumes etc.

Your Vessel Volume (L or gal): 60 L
Your Vessel Diameter (cm or in): 43.8 cm
Water Required (L or gal): 39.88 L
Mash Temperature (C or F): 66 C
Volume at End of Boil (L or gal): 26.84 L
Volume into Fermenter (L or gal): 23 L
Brew Length (L or gal): 21.3 L
Total Grain Bill (g or oz): 5362 g

Grains - Colours - Percentages and/or Weight (g or oz)

Grain 1: Barrett Burston Ale Malt = 4080 g
Grain 2: Barrett Burston Wheat Malt = 932 g
Grain 3: Flaked Wheat = 233 g
Grain 4: Weyermann Munich 1 = 117 g

Hops - AA% - IBUs - Weight (g or oz) at Minutes

Hop 1: Galaxy - 14.9% AA - 18.7 g at 10 min
Hop 2: Galaxy - 14.9% AA - 31.2 g at 5 min

Adjuncts/Minerals/Finings etc

Adjunct:
Mineral:
Finings:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 17 Jun 2010, 19:08, edited 10 times in total.

Post #10 made 14 years ago
Hi iijakii & welcome!

I'd recommend doing a standard- sized batch to start with to get familiar with the process, so follow the Mini BIAB instructions with about 2kg of malt for the first one, maybe do that a few times unless you're cocky and want to start sparging and farting about straight away.

WRT that recipe, I try not to force a brewing application to conform to BIAB, there's no real need, but that one should work all right I think. The main thing is, keep that pot full to the brim at mashing, if you're following the guide it should be a given. Don't sweat the details though, you have to do something majorly bad to not get decent beer out at the other end!

BTW, minifridges are a PITA, go for a bigger one- you can fit more batches in. My big fridge fits four batches at once if things are busy...

Now, if we're all relaxed and ready (deep breath, because I haven't finished my guide for this process, here beginneth RdeV's oft- loathed essay!), we'll look at a full- sized grain bill, sparging, and over- gravity boils. They're pretty easy to be honest, not overly complex if you've done the straight Mini- BIAB before. It goes like this:
1) Use about 4.5 kg grain bill in a 19 L stockpot (I do this regularly for 21L to 25L batches of ESB).
2) Fill the pot to the brim at mashing, but always under- fill the initial strike volume, add the grain and then top up with temperature- adjustment water. So, about 2/3 fill the pot with water, heat it to mash temp + 4 C and add the grain, then adjust volume and temperature with hot or cool as circumstances dictate. Do not panic if the temperature is not spot on, your beer will still be just fine.
3) Time and temperature stay the same as before- there is no avoiding the basic fundamentals. Start heating your sparge water before the mash is finished though.
4) Lift the bag and drain/ squeeze well, then put the pot on the stove to get it up to boiling (takes a while).
4a) While that's happening, dunk sparge the bag at least once with 1.5 L water/ kg of grain of near- boiling water, so drop the bag in, open it up, stir and leave for 15 minutes (stir as often as you like), lift the bag, drain and measure the runnings, if >1.030, then do it again, you're losing precious SG points if you don't (may need another bucket).
5) Add the sparge liquor to the pot, again, this is when you want the pot as full as possible. Measure the pre- boil SG after you've added the sparge liquor.
6) With the boil underway, add hops as per the schedule. However, if the boil SG is >1.050 (it should be with that grain bill) adjust hops additions for utilisation, which means that for every 0.010 over 1.050, increase the hops additions by 10%. (Nb. Don't sweat over this, it really isn't a biggie, more of a technical detail- our senses are probably not so finely tuned as to notice the difference anyway.)
7) Chill in the sink as per the Mini BIAB guide, but just as the boil finishes, get a sample and measure the post- boil SG. (Nb. In the interests of sanitation, sample this from the still- boiling wort!)
8) When it has cooled to pitching temp, work out the post- boil dilution:
Target SG / Actual post- boil SG * Actual Volume = Diluted Volume
SGs such as 1.050 expressed as 50, so with that as the target, 1.075 as the actual and say 16L as the actual volume in the pot, it would be:
75 / 50 * 16 L = 24 L, so the dilution would be with roughly 24 L less 16 L = 8 L of plain water. Add that to the fermenter, pour in your wort as per the guide, in most cases you'll get the target SG, give or take a few points. Happy days!!! :cool:

You'll note that there's a few opportunities to take SG and volume measurements. The important ones are pre- boil SG (to adjust hops additions, which is optional anyway), sparge runnings SG (decide to re- sparge), plus post- boil SG and volume.
Also, if the boil is losing lots of water to evaporation (it should lose 5% or more per hour), top it up with either more sparge liquor from the second sparge or just boiling water. When the boil is finished, the more you have in the kettle the less you'll lose to trub (through a lower concentration).
It doesn't really matter what the actual post- boil concentration is though as you'll be diluting it later anyway, so there's no need to fuss over 'hitting targets' etc. This diluted or target SG is the most important part, all of the other SGs and volumes are just for 'guidance' whereas the post- boil SG and volume dictate what goes into the fermenter. That's why I don't put much emphasis on getting the software to behave or focus on the actual SG or volume values up until that point, they are not really as important as those values.

Sorry, that was probably a bit too much detail (I really should finish that guide!), but I'm happy to clarify. Feel free to post in the MiniBIAB forum.

Hope this helps! :)
RdeV.
Last edited by Ralph on 17 Jun 2010, 19:20, edited 10 times in total.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #12 made 14 years ago
[center]Administration Note re Metric and Imerial Units[/center]

Remember, especially when posting in a thread like this, to type your units in a manner that can be read by The Converter. This will make it easy for both imperial and metric brewers to help you out.

Examples of how to write units are given in The Converter thread. I have edited the posts above and all should be reading well now (with the exception of quarts.)

Once you have written your post to this thread, make sure that you click on The Converter button to see if it has translated all your units.

And thanks to all of those contributing to the thread so far,
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 17 Jun 2010, 20:26, edited 9 times in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #13 made 14 years ago
Did my recipe, all went well (I think)!

The only notes I really have are that I should have dunk-sparged with more water than I did. I had more pre-boil water than I was expecting so I didn't worry about it, but I had WAY more boil-off than I thought I would. I don't have a measure-line on my carboy, but I bet I'll only get 2gallons (maybe a little less :( ) into bottles.

Hit my SG at 1.06 which was basically spot on. Now to hope I just have good fermentation and it actually tastes good, lol.

Post #15 made 14 years ago
Nice work iijakii!!

I did mine on the weekend too, thanks PP for all that info, was a great help. My gravity ended up a little low, but that should be ok.

Came across some things I hadn't experienced before doing smaller BIAB, like hot break & i threw in half a whirfy tablet too.

Was happy that all my gear was good & it was a great experience, I bought a bag from Gryphon too, that makes so much difference & I reckon it's totally worth buying a pre made one.

Anyhoo, thanks again all, BIAB rocks!!

Goldy

Post #16 made 14 years ago
Well done Goldy.

the thing that I was most surprised with on my first BIAB was how easy it was.

I no longer bother with any finings or whirlpooling, I still get clear beer so why add things that don't need to be there?
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #17 made 14 years ago
Good on you iijakii and Goldy. Pleased to hear all went well. After a few brews you'll be able to tune up your volumes etc and things will get a bit more predictable.

Top stuff!
PP

Post #18 made 14 years ago
I'm getting a little worried now because I mashed too high. I'm getting some great krausen right now so hopefully still have a decent FG. And since it's an Oatmeal Stout I'm not too worried about residual sweetness.

Post #19 made 14 years ago
Stop worrying and start smacking your lips iijakii ;). As hashie said, all should be great! We'll look forward to hearing how it tastes.

Post #20 made 14 years ago
iijakii
I pulled my oatmeal stout out of the fermentor last friday tasted good going into the keg,force carbed it, woke up sat tasted great really thin in the body was a little upset :( gave it a little more co2
let it sit till sunday.Took a sample to a friend's house he thought it tasted fine I still thought the body was week.By tuesday evening it was perfect great head,nice body,good carb, best batch yet :D It was my second biab and third batch all together.I think your stout is going to be fine :D

Post #21 made 14 years ago
iijakii, don't panic, the beer will be FAB. Just relax, there's every chance this beer will blow your mind, even if it didn't quite go to plan, that's the beauty of AG- it is very forgiving!
One of the main factors to remember with a sparged stove- top method is to fill the pot to the brim at mashing. Then, (in my 11L bucket) I usually sparge once for a smaller grain bill (so < 4 kg) and twice with a larger one, occasionally a third (particularly when I'm low on yeast starter wort ;) ). A smaller grain bill also allows for more first sparge because of its lower volume and anywhere from 3.0 kg to 5.5 kg is do- able, at least in my experience.
More sparge is better than not enough, you can always keep any surplus for yeast starters. With sparged stove- top, the last thing you want to do is toss out precious specific gravity points with the spent grain.
However, the really important, levelling factor with this particular method is that it will be diluted later anyway, so the volumes are not really that important. Our main aim is to get as much of the sugar out of the mash, so we can sparge as much as we like (within reason, fellas!) and because it is concentrated, we can adjust it to the right density later.
Also, it is important to remember too that specific density targets are a thing of the past as well, they are largely inconsequential, which lessens the burden on the brain. This is a good thing, yes??? :P
Also, fermenters are poorly calibrated so don't rely on them- one of my Coopers' is about 4 L out. In bottles or a keg is probably better.

Aye, JB, the AG beers genesis is actually quite rapid and profound after hitting the final vessel IMO. It is very difficult, for me at least, to pick the ball- tearer when young (say < 2 weeks). I can pick faults and obvious errors with the really poor ones, but there's the rest which while young are so- so but then the odd batch comes through which just lifts the lid on everything else when given a few more weeks to condition. Sadly, it doesn't ever last long enough after that though... :(
Congratz on knocking out a winner BTW, there will be plenty more, I can assure you! :D
Last edited by Ralph on 24 Jun 2010, 17:46, edited 9 times in total.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #23 made 14 years ago
Hit my target final gravity EXACTLY!! 1.014. Took a sip, tasted alright; getting excited for a month down the road when she's delicious.

Already have my next recipe made, I'm doing a clone of Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. IDK if any of you have tried it since it's a smaller American brewery (Portland, Oregon)

5.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.0 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 8.0 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.0 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 30.4 IBU
0.13 oz Pearle [8.00%] (30 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.13 oz Pearle [8.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
0.13 oz Saaz [4.00%] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU

Then I'll probably throw a whirlfloc tablet in there so she doesn't look like muddy swamp water :p

Post #24 made 14 years ago
Love the roque beers , there's a couple bars around town that have it on draft and quite a few that carry it in bottle :D
I live in St.petersburg,Florida our craft bar scene has really come into its own, in the last five years :D

Post #25 made 14 years ago
Enjoying hearing how your brew is progressing iijakii. Please taste it in 2 weeks instead of 4. I can't wait that long to hear the result :).

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 48 guests