General Discussion on Site Quality of Commercial Malt, Hop and Yeast Suplies

Post #1 made 6 years ago
One thing I do know about this site is many hours and dollars are poured into it by a few silly members such as myself :). This is not a commercial site so we have no income or profit. That's beside the point though on this particular topic. What concerns me is...
I'm at a total loss at why some commercial sites are so badly written and others so well-written. Here are some examples...

Yeasts

Look at the Lallemand site: For me, the info it offers there is excellent. Notice the flavour/aroma section such s sen here. Beautiful!
Compare that to the far more well-known Fermentis/Safale site and there is almost no information on what the yest is for or does. e.g. here

Hops

Some sites have superb info including the difference between when you apply that hop at different stages. A superb example is here (sorry, I can't find it now but am sure I sent it to [mention]lukasfab[/mention] . It was a superb site that explained that if Hop A was applied at this stage it wold produce results ABC, compared to if applied at another stage, it would produce results f, u and v. Outstanding info!

Malts

Once again we see no standardisation. One site will say flocculation of 5% while another will just say "High". The actual descriptions of what the malt imparts ranges from ridiculously useless to highly informative.

Conclusion and Request from You

My general observation is that the most commonly used malts, yeasts and hops provide the least useful info or care/concentration on their websites. Do you brewers have any opinions on this? Should some basic standard be set? (I'll attach a screen shot of some of the work I did to day on this (about five hours before I had to give up.)

What can you do to set standards amongst amongst suppliers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 25 May 2018, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Re: General Discussion on Site Quality of Commercial Malt, Hop and Yeast Suplies

Post #2 made 5 years ago
Hi Pat, just noticed your post from last week...

On yeast, the two yeasts that I normally use are 1) Wyeast Labs, and sometimes 2) White labs. Lately I’ve been channeled into 3) Imperial Yeast from Portland (claim to fame more yeast cells for the price). All are liquid yeasts from here in the USA.

Interesting thought on the differing quality level of information from their websites. I’ve always thought Wyeast Labs and White Labs we’re pretty good...

Wyeast Labs Beer Strains: http://www.wyeastlab.com/beer-strains

White Labs: https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank

The Imperial Yeast that I’ve used has worked out really well, but their website seems a bit more basic... Less good info. http://www.imperialyeast.com/organic-yeast-strains/

I’ve used Fermentis a couple times only. With your link to their site, not very good info. I agree.
Last edited by Scott on 02 Jun 2018, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Re: General Discussion on Site Quality of Commercial Malt, Hop and Yeast Suplies

Post #4 made 5 years ago
Sorry for the slow reply mate. Only just finished mopping the floor from our brew day - lol

HPA, the link you gave above, do a great job. I think it's the only hop site I've seen where on some of the hops, they describe different outcomes from the hop depending on when/how you use it. That sort of info is invaluable :salute:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 36 guests