GMO yeast to provide hop flavors

Post #1 made 6 years ago
The future is coming in the form of Genetically Modified Brewers yeast that makes hop flavors.
See http://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/03/23/ ... thout-hops

Bittering hops would still be needed early in the boil, but hop flavors can now be created by the yeast. Cool! :clap: As the article says, year-to-year variations in crops of hops would be overcome by consistent flavor production via the action of the yeast. I suppose that is important for commercial brewers who want to make the exact same beer over and over again.

It is still early - I have no idea how long it will take for this to reach homebrewers.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Re: GMO yeast to provide hop flavors

Post #3 made 6 years ago
It is interesting. But genetic modification always concerns me. Has me wondering if, in 50 years all of the standard yeast strains have been contaminated by genetically modified strains and perhaps have began causing problems in humans. Unintended consequences…
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 6 years ago
Scott,
My son is doing a post doc in Molecular and Cellular Biology and assures me that changes like this are not capable of causing what worries you. I’d add that we have lots of varieties of yeasts today even after the eons that yeast has been around and there is no single one that dominates all others in competition. Local airborne yeast has taken over one of my 2 year old sourdough bread starter cultures that I made from far-away yeast to change it from what it was. Nature wins again.
I’m more worried about the gene modifications that create protection from herbicides so that other plants can be preferentially killed with chemicals - then the application of herbicides gets out of control, killing more than intended. But that’s caused by humans, not the plants.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 6 years ago
Think you are talking about the wide use of RoundUp right before harvest in wheat fields all over the world. Someone I talked to that seemed very knowledgeable told me that at least 95% of those that think they are allergic to glutens are actually allergic to RoundUp! That’s bad for all of us. Scary...

I hear what you are saying. I still am uneasy with GMOs. And you might be right, fortunately (or unfortunately), time will tell...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 33 guests