For your brewing pleasure.

Post #1 made 2 years ago
Did an IPA today with a fellow brewer.

Manage to chill to about 26°C (69F). Wanted to pitch at 18°C (64.5C) so transferred and put the fermenter in my brewing fridge. In the interests of the new site being written, I also did some experiments of which most failed.

My final experiment was to line my fermenter with a completely boiled, washed and sanitised BIAB bag as we're dry hopping this one and I thought, "How cool would that be if you could use the BIAB bag as a dry hop sock as well!!!"

I also thought, "I'm going to aerate this wort overnight."

So before I started answering questions here, the wort was down to 18C, so I started to aerate. I had a blow-off tube; all was in order...
20160502_214821.jpg
What could possibly go wrong?

Well, I started answering questions here which, for me, always ends up taking ten times the amount of time I think. I also usually only aerate with a stone for about twenty minutes. But, with a blow-off tube, what's to worry? I also did not have the fermenter lid sealed but didn't stop to think more than, "That's fine, I'm aerating." Here's what I found after finishing answering questions on the forum :lol:...
20160502_233826.jpg
Oh dear.

Another failed experiment!

But, you learn from them. The bag in fermenter idea has merit but needs a lot of modification, modification I wouldn't have even thought of until this 'accident'. The aeration for 12 hours, well, I think I'll leave that for now :P.

It's after midnight here now. I've pulled the fermenter out of the fridge already. Now I better go and clean/sanitise the fridge, pull that fermenter bag out, clean and sanitise the outside of the fermenter and then pitch the yeast.

As Obama would say, PP out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 03 May 2016, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 2 years ago
Lol! Too right Rick :salute:.

I now have everything put to bed...
20160503_011143.jpg
Except me!!! :lol:

STOP PRESS :argh:

Just previewing my post before hitting submit and I see my blow-off tube hanging in mid-air :shock:. Some days, it never ends. Fixed now with clamp :smoke:.

One of those days :roll:.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 03 May 2016, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #4 made 2 years ago
Putting the "Re" in Research. It is what happens.
The bag obviously overhangs the rim of the bucket in your first photo. What kind of seal does the lid provide, and if not airtight, why would a blow-off tube help reduce the mess? Even if the lid fits, doesn't the bag allow air to pass through? And if air could get in (or CO2 out) is that not the lowest point for liquid to escape, followed by capillary action? My lids fit so tightly that the thickness of the bag would not allow the lid to go on.
When dry-hopping in a wide mouthed fermenter, I use a mesh bag with sanitized glass marbles and tie it shut with sanitized copper wire that has a long loose loop easily found for retrieval. I do the same for hop additions to the boil but without the marbles - I hook the wire loop to a line hanging from the overhead pulley and can raise the bag for more hop additions.

Post #5 made 2 years ago
I see you have a hydro jar next to your fermentor for a fast ferment test?

Have you ever thought of just using a refractometer instead. :sneak: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note; do you always oxygenate with a cylinder and air stone?
I find other brewers methods and equipment intriguing.
Last edited by mally on 03 May 2016, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #6 made 2 years ago
I believe PP aerates with an air pump with a filter and air stone. 20 min of pure O2 would be far too long. I use O2 with a stone and aerate for about a min.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #7 made 2 years ago
I don't fancy having to get more equipment!

this is an interesting read though.
Last edited by mally on 03 May 2016, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8 made 2 years ago
ShorePoints wrote:Putting the "Re" in Research. It is what happens.
The bag obviously overhangs the rim of the bucket in your first photo. What kind of seal does the lid provide, and if not airtight, why would a blow-off tube help reduce the mess? Even if the lid fits, doesn't the bag allow air to pass through? And if air could get in (or CO2 out) is that not the lowest point for liquid to escape, followed by capillary action?
Obviously you never brew drunk SP :lol:.

I did quite a few equipment experiments on Tuesday and the bag in the fermenter was just one. My original idea was not to have the bag overhanging the pail but I just wanted to try the idea out. My plan was to seal the lid down when pitching but the over-aeration put a stop to that plan, probably a good thing for several reasons :) - besides the capillary action, I think the sealing would have damaged the bag. Normally I just aerate for 20 mins or half hour using the process you mentioned. Never had it go anywhere near overflowing before but, then again, I'd never left it for three hours :roll:.
mally wrote:I see you have a hydro jar next to your fermentor for a fast ferment test?
The hydro jar serves a few purposes. Firstly, it is my OG sample. Secondly, it acts as a mini-version of the ferment (the jar is in the fermenting fridge beside the fermenter); as you can see in the pic below, what's happening in the jar reflects what is happening in the fermenter. Later in the fermentation, when I think it is finished, I'll sanitise my second hydro jar, pour the wort into that and add the hydro, after cleaning and sanitising it, to the jar. The first jar and hydro get really dirty, just like your main fermenter does, so, it's impossible to get readings without moving to a second jar.

Once in the second jar, I can leave it in a warmer place (covered, I'll add pics on that later) and that will tell me if the gravity is going to drop further.

Bear in mind, I'm usually much lazier than this. On a lot of beers, if I know them, I just leave them for a time I know they will be done. This beer though, I want to be a little more precise with my timings and will even use a secondary before kegging as it is a large hop bill, including about 140 grams (5 ozs) of dry hops.

I read that link on O2 before doing this brew. I must admit I didn't read it slowly, and, still haven't. From what I gathered on the fast read, I still think the aeration is the way to go but maybe I didn't read it well enough?

:)
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 05 May 2016, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 5 guests