Re: BIAB competition success

Post #201 made 6 years ago
Fantastic mate!!! And, you deserve it :champ: :champ: :champ:

[As for bottling from the keg, I now use one of these fantastic things however, if your batch is pouring nicely from the keg, you'd be surprised at how little carbonation, if any, you'll lose dispensing into the bottle. In the past, if I've had a keg dispensing badly and needed to bottle a comp beer, I'd put a glass jug in my freezer to chill, dispense into that, let it settle and then pour into PET bottles that were also chilled in the freezer. Probably pointless chilling the PET bottles but, it worked well. As for oxidation, well I never noticed any or the judges so maybe there wasn't any?]
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #202 made 6 years ago
Thanks guys...!

PP - your tool you linked to is interesting. Not sure if suppliers over here have this. My method of bottling from keg needs improvement I think... Although if only a few days from bottling to judging, the process is likely okay.

Brulosophy posted an experiment this morning related to bottling. Interesting and I'm not sure what it means. http://brulosophy.com/2017/06/05/flushi ... t-results/
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #203 made 6 years ago
Scott,
I read the article in your link and the comments that followed it. In the one example of testing one batch of one recipe /two bottle-filling methods, there was not a statistically significant taste difference between the methods used (minimizing oxygen vs. picnic tap transfer allowing oxygen). The minuscule amounts of oxygen measured (700 parts per billion at highest level) simply did not sufficiently oxidize anything that made a taste difference in the time period of the test for that beer. Note the many layers of weasel words there, limiting the conclusion to one exBt. If the author was looking to label oxygen as a bad actor, he picked the wrong recipe.

If home brewers have experienced measurable taste changes after transfer from keg to bottle, they should always tell what type of beer it was so that measurements could focus on the type(s) most impacted. Then we could learn when to scrupulously exclude oxygen from sensitive beer, or simply brew something equally as good that doesn’t need the worry.

Commercial brewers may have data for their highly reproducible (sensitive?) beers being influenced by dissolved oxygen or gaseous oxygen in the headspace at ppb levels during the desired shelf life. If a home brewer is careful to transfer from keg to bottle with minimal introduction of air (air is only ~20% oxygen), there should be very little chance of spoilage if the bottles are treated in a gentle manner.

In most cases for home brewers, oxygen is a red herring. If that doesn't translate well, I mean stop worrying so much about oxygen. After the quality of ingredients, time and temperature are much more important than oxygen. If oxygen were so bad, why does anyone aerate the wort before pitching yeast?

That's my opinion, FWIW.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #204 made 6 years ago
BIABacus PR1.3T - American Pale Ale - African American - Batch A1 (1).xls
So i just want say a quick thank you to the authors and creators for this wonderful site and spreadsheet.

With learning what i could on here and with a slight modification to the all amarello APA recipe, i won a public choice for favorite beer this past weekend. :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HomebrewJp on 10 Jul 2017, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From South Africa

Post #208 made 6 years ago
Well, have had three more competitions since the one posted about last spring... And I’m in the process of thinking this through some... :smoke:

Oregon State Fair, August 2017
2nd Place for Dark Czech Lager
3rd Place for Pre-Prohibition Pilsner

Thought the Czech Lager was quite good. The guy that beat me, ironically with another Dk Cz Lager, came in runner up Best of Show.

Rocktoberfest (OR), September 2017
2nd Place for Czech Pale Lager

Capitol Brewers Harvest Classic (OR), October 2017
2nd Place for German Pilsner

And Then There’s Today...
All was going well with this until today... Got results for Oregon Brew Crew’s “Fall Classic”, gels last Saturday in Portland, OR. I’ve entered brew competitions for the last 13 months, and I’ve won at least one medal in each competition until today. Did Not Place...! Notta. Ouch! :o :shock: :argh: Look forward to seeing my score sheets. Hopefully the beer I entered actually made it to the competition (dropped it off at a LHBS). It probably did...

What do I take from this experience?
I’ve done well overall, and competition results shows that I do make good beer... (It proves - as most of you know - that great beer can be made with BIAB, same as any other brewing method...if there is still a question). At the end of the day, making good beer important - at least for those of us that love great beer!

Judging is subjective. Have seen beers that did mediocre in one competition do awesome in another. Sometimes beer does change, similar to wine...over time. And other things can happen too... But you can still learn from sending your beer in for evaluation and see how knowledgeable beer people evaluate it. But if you make good beer, you will win some awards... Maybe not all the time, but at least some of the time.

We have really good /soft water where I live in Oregon. Great for most Pilsners. All of my wins have been from lagers. Every single one. Now, I brew at least 2/3 lagers... Think I need to pay attention to water adjustments more with Ales, in particular APA and IPA. Mine taste pretty good, but not special.

I’ve got my first ever Rauchbier, worked really hard on it. Tastes good, great flavor, but a little “thin”... Was going to use Bavarian Lager Yeast. BCS Book suggested Bohemian Lager Yeast and I went with that instead. Oops. Also maybe could have mashed a little higher temperature. Both of those changes next time should make a definitely better beer next time, with more body and “mouth feel”. I guess this is how we improve. Pros learn the same way...

Anyway, this is a combination Muse / Rant, I guess. Surely there are some interesting examples out here. :smoke:
Last edited by Scott on 24 Oct 2017, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post #209 made 6 years ago
Well it turns out that something has gone wrong with my sanitizing and cleaning regimen with bottling... Normally keg so am most dialed in for that. Brews in the last competition didn’t do that well and a couple got slammed. Sounds like I got some bad things in the bottled beer that shouldn’t have and may have infected the beer...things not in the kegged beer. :dunno: Will have to re-review procedures and try to pinpoint the issue.

Post #210 made 6 years ago
Keep us in the loop.

I have been having a very similar issue to you. My kegged beer is perfect, we drink it by the litre. But it seems like any extra beer that goes into to bottles with some sugar for priming seem to all be infected.

I have actually now moved away from all form of bottle conditioning all together. I now brew enough to fill the keg. Let it carbonate and the fill any bottles i need with a beer gun.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From South Africa

Post #211 made 6 years ago
Scott wrote:
6 years ago
Well it turns out that something has gone wrong with my sanitizing and cleaning regimen with bottling... Normally keg so am most dialed in for that. Brews in the last competition didn’t do that well and a couple got slammed. Sounds like I got some bad things in the bottled beer that shouldn’t have and may have infected the beer...things not in the kegged beer. :dunno: Will have to re-review procedures and try to pinpoint the issue.
Congrats on all your comps... :champ:

Maybe off topic regarding this issue but I'll toss it in. Just about bottling...

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncateg ... e-filling/
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #212 made 6 years ago
Hey MS,

It is great to hear from you!!! Was honestly thinking just a few days ago didn’t recall seeing anything from you since the hurricane. Was a little concerned. So hope all is well.

On vacation ATM. Starting this afternoon. I skimmed your link. Looks interesting. Your natural carbonation / spundling valve (?) thing always has. Natural carbonation. Have always been a fan of cask ales... And the Grrmans have something similar. This seems down similar lines.

Will review again at a later time, and can give some more details.

Again MS - great to see you back on the forum! ;)

Post #213 made 5 years ago
So guys, it's been a while since I've hung out here. I've got quite a bit of BIABrewing under my belt now. Joined an awesome club called the Miami Area Society of Homebrewers (http://miami-homebrew.org/), which is big into competitions. I entered by first competition in March and won a silver medal for my American Porter. Very pleased -- thanks for all your help!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 29 guests