Post #151 made 10 years ago
ram5ey, thanks for postingyour recipe :salute:.

Search this site for BeerSmith2 and spend some time reading what you find ;). If you can find out the AA% of your hops, that will help too :peace:

laserghost, can you give more info on what the difference was, if any, between the first and third brew? I'm mainly interested in whether all three were proper no-sparge in the correct definition of the term or whether you gradually crept that way.

Nice job :thumbs:,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 07 May 2014, 21:39, edited 5 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #152 made 10 years ago
hey pistol, i've only brewed it twice so far. the first brew i came in a little low at 1.047, but nailed it on the second brew at 1.052.

the main difference though, was that the first brew was true BIAB full volume mashing ... about 8.5 gallons of water. the second brew i only mashed with 5 gallons of water, pulled/drained bag, and then topped up the kettle with the remaining 3.5 gallons of water. the water/grist ratio for this mash was 1.72 qt/lb and i ended up using a bit more grain than if i had done full volume BIAB.

the second beer is definitely better, more rich and complex. i also mashed a degree higher, and the FG was about 3 points higher at 1.011 so a little more interesting and dynamic on all fronts.
    • BME Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #155 made 9 years ago
Only time for one post today and this has got to be the one. That's fantastic lg :thumbs: :salute: :champ:. You must be very pleased.

Also thanks for the details you posted above. That's great to get some feedback on the full volume versus no-sparge.

Great effort :party:.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #156 made 9 years ago
Bob posted the following in another thread but I think it belongs here as well.
BobBrews wrote:By the way.... https://www.facebook.com/shalev.noam?fref=ufi :champ: :champ:
1st place in the Carlsberg challenge
London, here I come! (Translated by Bing)
Has won a BIG brewing Prize and is in London. Anyone care to see or talk to him while there? He is looking for our BIAB people?
Last edited by Nuff on 19 Jun 2014, 07:12, edited 5 times in total.

Post #157 made 9 years ago
noam-.jpg
London, here I come! :thumbs:
noam-2.jpg
Shibolt did good!! BIAB rules 1st place in the Carlsberg challenge
London, here I come! ! Mazal tov!!! :champ:
noam-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BobBrews on 21 Jun 2014, 22:24, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #158 made 9 years ago
outbreak wrote:Nice work! Very impressive

I am hoping to enter some comps maybe next year, mainly for some constructive criticism. All my mates drink premium lager so I don't waste my beer on them and their thoughts.
Haha gold! I bought a mega-swill lager the other day and kept asking myself where the hops were?!? My wife then said "not enough hops!" I was so proud of her. :thumbs:
Last edited by nicko on 05 Aug 2014, 09:32, edited 5 times in total.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #159 made 9 years ago
I decided to send a couple brews into the National Capital Homebrew competition in Ottawa a while back, results came out today and looks like my Heinous Hefeweizen placed 3rd in Category 15. This was my first competition and my 7th BIAB. I was just looking to get some feedback other than the usual "I'll have another" from my non-beer-geek friends and family, so it was a pleasant surprise to see one of my brews place.

Figure I should thank the contributors to this site and everyone who had a hand in the creation of the biabacus, mainly because I think the beer I have been creating is great thanks to you guys, but also because apparently other people like it too.

:thumbs:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #160 made 9 years ago
goulaigan wrote:I decided to send a couple brews into the National Capital Homebrew competition in Ottawa a while back, results came out today and looks like my Heinous Hefeweizen placed 3rd in Category 15. This was my first competition and my 7th BIAB. I was just looking to get some feedback other than the usual "I'll have another" from my non-beer-geek friends and family, so it was a pleasant surprise to see one of my brews place.

Figure I should thank the contributors to this site and everyone who had a hand in the creation of the biabacus, mainly because I think the beer I have been creating is great thanks to you guys, but also because apparently other people like it too.

:thumbs:
Nice work mate! I'm dropping a couple bottles of my first AG around to some beer club mates this weekend purely to get feedback from people that know their stuff, one is a qualified judge I think? should be interesting.
Last edited by nicko on 19 Aug 2014, 08:13, edited 5 times in total.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #161 made 9 years ago
BIAB is as easy as falling off a log! Winning is a lot harder to do but more satisfying than falling off a log! Congratulations goulaigan.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #162 made 9 years ago
Well the ACT Territory/State Championships are out and happy to report I did pretty well!

Gold - Munich Dunkel (and through to the Australian Nationals!)
Silver - American Brown Ale
Silver - Dark Ginger Ale (Spice/Herb/Veg)
Silver - Vienna Larger
Bronze - Oatmeal Stout

Pretty Stoked for my first ACT champs and excited to see how my Dunkel fairs in the nationals!

Go BIAB!

Post #163 made 9 years ago
BungBrew wrote:Well the ACT Territory/State Championships are out and happy to report I did pretty well!

Gold - Munich Dunkel (and through to the Australian Nationals!)
Silver - American Brown Ale
Silver - Dark Ginger Ale (Spice/Herb/Veg)
Silver - Vienna Larger
Bronze - Oatmeal Stout

Pretty Stoked for my first ACT champs and excited to see how my Dunkel fairs in the nationals!

Go BIAB!
Awesome Bung, well done! I'll be in Canberra just before the nationals, what sort of a bribe do I need to get a glass of that Dunkel? :yum: ;)
Last edited by nicko on 10 Sep 2014, 16:29, edited 5 times in total.

Post #165 made 9 years ago
Sweet, will do.. I'm bringing a three floyds zombie dust IPA clone with me... (Not brewed yet, waiting for ingredients but recipe looks great).

Post #166 made 9 years ago
BungBrew wrote:Well the ACT Territory/State Championships are out and happy to report I did pretty well!
That has got be the biggest under-statement of the forum :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Surely no one else came even close to those results Bung???

:o
Last edited by PistolPatch on 10 Sep 2014, 19:05, edited 5 times in total.

Post #169 made 9 years ago
BungBrew wrote:Believe it or not I didn't even make it into the top ten brewers (based on average score) .. The Canberra Brewers' standard us pretty high
But, if you only entered those five beers, and scored the above, then that is a very high strike rate :shock: . Even if you entered ten beers, that is a very nice result... I'm confused on how you aren't in the top ten. You might have to explain the rules etc in more detail to me Bung. Whatever you write back though, as far as I can see, you should be really proud :thumbs:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 11 Sep 2014, 21:26, edited 5 times in total.

Post #170 made 9 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:
BungBrew wrote:Believe it or not I didn't even make it into the top ten brewers (based on average score) .. The Canberra Brewers' standard us pretty high
But, if you only entered those five beers, and scored the above, then that is a very high strike rate :shock: . Even if you entered ten beers, that is a very nice result... I'm confused on how you aren't in the top ten. You might have to explain the rules etc in more detail to me Bung. Whatever you write back though, as far as I can see, you should be really proud :thumbs:.
Yeah I don't understand that either? Looks like you did really well! Maybe some guys entered in everything?
Last edited by nicko on 15 Sep 2014, 21:46, edited 5 times in total.

Post #171 made 9 years ago
Just received an email from admin/NME and at the end he casually mentioned
One of my beers took out first place in the Bitter Ale category at the WA state brewing comp during the week! Bit happy with that.
Great job Simon :clap:
Last edited by Pat on 10 Oct 2014, 19:38, edited 5 times in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #172 made 9 years ago
Nice work guys. I managed to grab a silver for my 'Saison de Goulais' at the Members of Barleyment / Beau's Oktoberfest homebrewing comp. Pales in comparison to most of the announcements above but I'm pretty proud of it. Second competition I've entered so far, and second time I've placed. Especially happy with this one since it is my own recipe, not a tweaked version of somebody else's like my Hef (which took a bronze in a previous comp) Brew on fellas!

:shoot:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #173 made 9 years ago
goulaigan,

Good victory! Tweaking a solid recipe to suit yourself works for me.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #174 made 9 years ago
Nice stuff Simon and goulaigan (Bob you missed Simon's win above :)).

That is especially great getting that on your own recipe goul :thumbs:.

Simon, looking forward to seeing you tomorrow so I can swap the labels on our entries for the Royal Perth Show :lol:.

Post #175 made 9 years ago
Cheers!! My beer that won was a Dusseldorfer Altbier. Not a style I've ever tried before, but I did my homework and it paid off :)

I have a couple of spare bottles I'll bring this arvo PP! I just need to dig out my bloody labels first

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 38 guests