Post #126 made 11 years ago
:lol: Bob, usually I only put in one or two beers. This year I went crazy and put in seven because, well, they were there.

Silver - Munich Helles from 'Brewing Classic Styles'
Silver - Dortmunder Export from 'Brewing Classic Styles'
Silver - Schwarzbier (Black Beer) from BIABrewer.info (This always gets a silver.)
Bronze - Blonde Ale from me. (Also got a bronze last year.) One of my favourites. It's like Harviestoun's Bitter and Twiseted.
Nada - Cream Ale from 'Brewing classic Styles'. (A bit sweet this one but visitors seem to enjoy it).
Nada - American IPA from AcesHigh. (I love this drop but it doesn't have the harsh grassiness of an IPA. Probably more like an APA really).
Nada - English IPA from 'Brewing Classic Styles'. Bloody awful I reckon. None of us could put a finger on what the actual problem is so am hoping the the judges will be able to narrow it down.

The tasting yesterday was great fun as usual and we had heaps of BIAB'er s there. Aaron, the best of show guy above is on his 7th BIAB now. He is converted!!!

Next year I will steal Simon's American Brown recipe and go for gold :lol:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 11 Nov 2012, 22:55, edited 5 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #127 made 11 years ago
PistolPatch,

Congratulation's and salutation's to you! :champ: :clap: :clap:

Not bad for a numbers geek! :geek:

Next year try my variant of a Black IPA! Nobody will have anything like it and you will take first! :smoke:

Good on you Mate! :party:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #129 made 11 years ago
Wooo! Thanks everyone! I'm still shocked that I pulled it off :P Very happy!!
It was the first BIAB I did in my new 40L urn my missus got me for my birthday.

It's safe to say that I celebrated pretty hard that night. Luckily Freo has some pretty delicious beers.

Post #133 made 11 years ago
Yep, that's a very nice swag :thumbs:.

On your blog, I read about the "double" mashing for the high gravity brews. That deserves a whole new thread I reckon natept. Good stuff!
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

BIAB competition success

Post #135 made 11 years ago
Second place for my BIAB Coconut Porter in the London & South East CBA competition. My first competition so well chuffed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355078490.150010.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bamforp on 10 Dec 2012, 02:42, edited 5 times in total.

Post #136 made 11 years ago
bamforp

Thats made my day. I think that this might be the first competition result for a uk biaber :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ:

Well done mate, I'll raise a glass to the south tonight in your honour.

:champ:
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #140 made 11 years ago
Good on you bamforp :clap:. A coconut porter as well! Was it hard to brew?

Also, sounds like the perfect recipe for BobBrew's Beer Diet where no food is allowed :interesting:.

:salute:
PP

(Btw, I hope to see you posting the same pic after the next Ashes :lol:)

Post #142 made 11 years ago
bamforp wrote:Dead easy. Take a basic robust porter recipe then 'dry hop' with desiccated coconut for about a week. I'll post the recipe I used when I get a chance.
I might give this a go, I love a macaroon :lol: . I've got a few questions :blush: How much of the coconut came through into the beer. Did you just chuck it in the fermenter and where you worried about sanitation ?

:thumbs:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 13 Dec 2012, 06:51, edited 5 times in total.

Post #143 made 10 years ago
Happy to say that my Belgian Strong Dark Ale got second place in the Belgian and Farmhouse Ales Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers club "mini comp" last night (Scored 37/50).

A minor victory of course, but i'm pleased with this result for my first entry. I hope it reflects well on BIAB as per the original post. The beer weighed in at at least 10% alc/vol, so it proves that BIAB is definitely capable of higher gravity beers (though I did add sugar to the fermenter also). Should improve with age too!

Cheers! :drink: :champ:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #145 made 10 years ago
Yeah. well done mate :thumbs:.

Nice to see this thread bumped. We seem to have forgotten about it for the last year or so. I think a few guys did well at the Royal Perth Beer Show last year. I only got a bronze thoughlast year despite my beer being far superior to theirs :lol:.

And that's no small victory dski. A Belgian Strong Dark Ale? Wow!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Post #147 made 10 years ago
ram5ey wrote:BIAB got 1st in American Pale Ale in local comp. Scored a 40.
:clap: :clap: :champ:

Top man :thumbs: well done.
Last edited by Yeasty on 05 May 2014, 18:19, edited 5 times in total.

Post #148 made 10 years ago
First in APA. That is Gold :party:.

Post recipe Mr Ram, if you can,

Wow, that raps and rhymes :think: (Oh dear - post the recipe anyway!)

Great job ;).

Post #149 made 10 years ago
Evereman Ale
6 gal
(I do 6 gal batches to get 5.5gal into fermentor and 5gal into keg)

OG 1.057
FG 1.013
43 IBU (this might be a little off, I'm fighting with Beersmith 2 mobile right now)
6 SRM

Mash at 154
Assumed mash efficiency of 70%

Grain Bill
6lb Marris Otter
5lb 6oz US 2-Row
12oz. Munich Malt 10L
12oz. Victory Malt
8oz. White Wheat Malt

Boil Hops

I use pellets

14.2grams. Horizon. 60min
42.5grams. Centennial. 10min
42.5grams. Cascade. 10min
14.2grams each of Citra, Cascade, and Centennial at 1min

Dry Hops

add to primary fermentor after 80-90% of fermenation activity is done. Dry hop for 7 days.

14.2 grams. Citra
23.8 grams. Cascade
23.8 grams. Centennial

Post #150 made 10 years ago
I just started entering comps and the first Dusseldorf Altbier I've brewed placed 1st in the 19th Annual Boston Homebrew Comp for cat 7 where scored a meager 34 points.

Submitted the same batch to the National Homebrew Comp and it took 2nd place in the NYC region with a score of 39.

I recently rebrewed it for the finals and it's better the second time so wish me luck! Cheers to BIAB!!
    • BME Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 36 guests