BIAB competition success

Post #1 made 13 years ago
I don't normally blow my own trumpet - in this case I'm blowing it for BIAB and to encourage those new to the method who may perhaps harbour some niggling doubts about whether BIAB is 'second best' or some sort of soft option.

Anyway this year, as announced tonight at the awards night, the Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers Competition yielded these Results for my BIAB beers:

1st - Pale Ales and Bitters - Special Bitter 42 points (out of 50)and Silver
1st - Stouts and Porters - Dry Stout - 44 points and Silver
1st - Dark Ales - UK Mild - 43 points and Silver
3rd - Lagers & Pilseners - German Pils - 37 and Bronze

Champion Brewer as well with a trip for two to New Zealand for a beer festival in Wellington. Woohoo :twisted: .
Well done my faithful bag and urn :D
The comp is judged strictly to BJCP guidelines. It would be one of the larger clubs in Australia and AFAIK I was the only BIAB brewer to take any prizes, everyone else being 3v, herms, etc. As I said, not blowing my trumpet, just a confirmation to new brewers that when judged impartially against all other methods, BIAB not only holds its own but can be a winner.
State comps next :cool:
Last edited by Beachbum on 07 Aug 2010, 22:06, edited 5 times in total.

Post #2 made 13 years ago
(OMFSM... I think I just wet myself... :o )

[center]Congratulations BB, that is a huge haul!!! [/center]

I have no doubt the technique can hold its own, your competition results alone over the last few years have put paid to any suggestion that BIAB is in any way inferior, this reinforces it rather succinctly. This makes it fairly obvious too that we have a very skilful artisan in our midst, while this is not any sort of chance result either- this is your second Champion Brewer title, isn't it?

Again, well done and that is a terrific achievement, something to be quite proud of indeed! :D
Last edited by Ralph on 08 Aug 2010, 03:26, edited 5 times in total.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #3 made 13 years ago
:shock: WOW :shock:

Well done BeachBum, that is a fantastic result.
Maybe you could put some of your winning beers in the post for other BIABers to try?
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #4 made 13 years ago
Well Done BB. Even know I am new to this caper, just by tasting my own brews I can't see why this type of brewing couldn't stand up against the rest! :)
I've got a fair way to go yet, but hopefully I can brew award winng beers as well.
Again Good on You, and good on Biab :D
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

[center]Homer Simpson[/center]
[center]K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/center]

Post #7 made 13 years ago
Awesome! Cheers!
Arrogant Bastard Ale: "...Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

Post #8 made 13 years ago
Nice work! Very impressive

I am hoping to enter some comps maybe next year, mainly for some constructive criticism. All my mates drink premium lager so I don't waste my beer on them and their thoughts.

Post #9 made 13 years ago
3rd - Lagers & Pilseners - German Pils - 37 and Bronze
BB,
3rd Place? Your giving BIAB a bad name!

Seriously, Congratulations. You've done us proud!
Last edited by BobBrews on 09 Aug 2010, 20:25, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #10 made 13 years ago
Very good .!!!
Is there any possibility recipies that they have won such a prizes to posted at a specific thread ? It would be very appealing to new biabers and a good choice for everybody to brew something very good .
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Greece

Post #11 made 13 years ago
Totally missed this thread BB. Great stuff mate! This is not the first time you have done really well either - you have done really well right from the start.

You de man and best of luck for the State comps,
PP

P.S. Sorry to hear you lost your Beersmith files - been there and done that ;)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #12 made 13 years ago
UPDATE:
Great news from the Queensland State competition yesterday, the results have just been published and our own Ralph took out third in the lagers with his Munich Helles and now qualified to enter the Nationals in that class :D onya Ralph.

In my own case I took out the low alc class with the mild ale that did well in the Brisbane competition, and third in the stouts with an oatmeal stout.

However the thing that really excites me is that I got second place in the lagers with an Australian premium lager, so together with Ralph's Helles this means that BIAB blitzed the lagers this year. A common misconception with 'traditional' brewers is that BIAB cannot produce a clean classic lager because we do not do traditional lautering and forlauf etc so our wort is one level below pea soup and we had better just stick to doing porters and brown ales etc, don't even think about doing a good lager.

Hahahahah - showed 'em

What this means is that with places in the State, we are now qualified to submit beers in the pale lager class to the Australian National Competition in a couple of months, so watch out :twisted: :twisted:

Yes and I WILL put up the recipes ASAP, and also I want Ralph's as well as Helles is somewhat a holy grail for me.

Cheers

Post #14 made 13 years ago
Indeed BB, but I think you're being a little modest! And let's not forget all your other good results, so what a top job on your behalf and well done on yet another huge haul! :P

You're right, it could be interesting, I nearly fell off my chair :o when I saw that at least two BIAB entries had placed in the Pale Lager category, could be interesting come the Nats!

With the Helles, I was nearly going to tip it out as it was a bit of a disaster at mashout plus I thought it didn't quite taste right after fermentation, so it got largely abandoned in the fermenting fridge for a while longer than it needed while I thought about what to do. It wasn't brewed specifically for the comp, my plan to go nuts in the Bitter and Pale classes went toes up after I initially misread the rules of only two entries per category, so searched around for other possible entrants and this was about all I could come up with.

MH4 16/05/2010
95% Wey Bo Pils
5% Wey Carapils
10 minute Protein Rest at 52C
10 minute thick Decoction boil up to Sacc
60 minute Sacc mash @ 63C
This is where it got a bit messy, a thick Mashout Decoction didn't reach mashout temps (probably should've been thin), so I proceeded to:
Dunk Sparge/ Mashout in the MaxiBIAB style anyway!
Boil (about 18L, with sparge top- up):
75 minutes start
60 81g Cz Saaz 1.6%AA* 18IBU
20 15g Ger Hallertauer Mittelfreuh 6.3%AA 8IBU
10 1/2 tab Whirfloc
0 5g Ger Hallertauer Mittelfreuh 6.3%AA (Breaks the 'no late hops in lagers' rule! It is only a very small addition though.)
* Estimated %AA- 06 crop reported at 2.2%AA.
No- chilled in an incompletely- filled 25L cube which was poured HOT through a big sieve in a bigger funnel- I do NOT recommend doing this. But it does put paid to some of those HSA fibs and paranoia!
Post- boil dilution, ferment with Wy 2247PC Euro Lager at 10.5C, transfer to secondary (I seldom do this!), lagered at 4C (wanted lower but I had fridge trouble) for a couple of weeks. Carbonated to about 2 volumes.
Yes, that's those infamous CZ06 plugs- I wanted to bitter with a very low AA% noble, we know they're crap for flavour and aroma so seemed ideal. Ross offered me a good deal to offload a boxful of them afterwards, silly me never took it up! But I do have a couple of packs left.
I'll keep you the last MH4 sample BB, the penultimate is destined for the Nats unless I can whack out another batch in time!
Last edited by Ralph on 13 Sep 2010, 06:41, edited 5 times in total.

Post #15 made 13 years ago
Great. I'm going to rebrew the Aussie Lager as well, the current batch was diacetyl central when it went into the keg but has mellowed out, however I'll go crisper and a touch of something noble this time, trying for something like a Cascade Premium.

Post #16 made 13 years ago
In NSW State and Castle Hill comp, BIAB took out first place in the Pilsner category. Congratulations and well done Damian, that's brilliant! :cool:

Fairly sure there would be other BIABs in the places, more than happy to hear if that's the case. :P

Ahem. Sorry, was that the sound of the floor being wiped?! :D
Last edited by Ralph on 20 Sep 2010, 06:39, edited 5 times in total.

Post #17 made 13 years ago
Well done guys :!:

And love the recipe too Ralph, finally instructions that make sense :lol:
Ralph wrote: MH4 16/05/2010
Mashout Decoction didn't reach mashout temps (probably should've been thin), so I proceeded to: Dunk Sparge/ Mashout in the MaxiBIAB style anyway!
No- chilled in an incompletely- filled 25L cube which was poured HOT through a big sieve in a bigger funnel
Last edited by widdley on 20 Sep 2010, 13:03, edited 5 times in total.

Post #18 made 13 years ago
Thanks widdley!

That's only one means of getting hot wort out for NCing- syphoning, through a tap etc are more reliable and recommended methods. Lately I've been inclined to just leaving it in there for cooling in the laundry tub, I am getting a bit lazy and it works well just so long as I don't blow a foo foo valve shifting it or spill it like the klutz I am!

Post #19 made 13 years ago
Ralph wrote:Fairly sure there would be other BIABs in the places, more than happy to hear if that's the case. :P
Ahem. Sorry, was that the sound of the floor being wiped?! :D
Yep, got a few to add to that Castle Hill/NSW comp list as well. Got 3rd with my German Pils, HC for the schwarzbier, HC for the RIS and best of all a 1st for my Black IPA.

Got to love BIAB!
Last edited by DK1 on 28 Sep 2010, 17:00, edited 5 times in total.

Post #20 made 13 years ago
Congrats dk, top stuff and welcome to the forum. Great to see Damian get a 1st as well! (Are phrak and Eric still going to meetings?... Not AA ones, the Castle Hill ones :))
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #21 made 13 years ago
Brilliant work DK! :)

Qualified for the Nats & all, BIAB is showing up in lots of categories there, perhaps even over- represented?! :o

Post #22 made 13 years ago
Congratulations Beach bum, DK and all! That's bloody brilliant. I've just started BIAB, done 3 brews so far and I'm hooked. As a pom who lives in the south of England, I was interested to hear that there is a comp in Castle Hill as my sister lives in Galston and I'd be well up for checking it out next time I'm over.

Cheers.

Post #24 made 13 years ago
Just my Munich Helles. For a rebrewed lager, its looking and tasting far better than I expected, to be quite honest! I think Beachbum may have one or two in as well, c'mon you BIABers! :cool:

Post #25 made 13 years ago
AABC results 2010*: The Munich Helles entered in 2. Pale Lager came 8th in a field of 12 with 92/150. I'm quite pleased with this, the prime motivation for initially entering in QABC was to validate the MaxiBIAB method, the fact that it placed there and didn't come abysmally last at AABC is quite sufficient for me.
I haven't seen the actual score sheet yet but I'm looking to develop the recipe some more, particularly the hops, I'm fairly sure that the floor malted Bohemian Pilsner malt is a big help though, 100% base malt and decoction = yummy! :yum:
Other BIAB highlights: Beachbum's Stout at >100 points- an excellent result! :thumbs:
* Nb. If you go looking, AABC's official results have a typo in category "2. Pale Lager" title, they called it "2. Pale Ale"- Hmm, now that would explain the mediocre score! ;)
Last edited by Ralph on 07 Nov 2010, 05:37, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 21 guests