Some Products that BIAB Brewers should Consider.

Post #1 made 10 years ago
When I have a little more time, I'll think more on this thread but for now, if you have anything to add to it, feel free to make a post here and if it looks as though it could be useful to a majority of brewers then I will link yur ost below. PP will get the ball rolling in the first two posts below.

pH strips - Easier to use than a pH meter. Careful though as not all pH strips are designed to measure wort. (PistolPatch)

Brewing Classic Styles (Book) - Eighty high integrity recipes. Click post for how to scale them properly. (PistolPatch)

Waterproof Pocket Digital Food Thermometer - One to add to your collection. (Yeasty)

Brew Your Own British Real Ale (Book) English recipes. Click post for how to scale them properly. (Yeasty)

Dry Fermentor Airlock - Not just a fermentor airlock! (PistolPatch)
Last edited by Pat on 15 May 2014, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #2 made 10 years ago
[center]pH Strips
Easier to use than a pH meter. Careful though as not all pH strips are designed to measure wort.
Support this site. Click on the Amazon banner at top of page and search for "DUOTEST pH 3.5-6.8 DISPENSER".
About $14 for 5m roll plus delivery.[/center]
I'll write more here soon. Just be aware that some pH strips are designed to test things like urine, not wort. The DUOTEST type work on wort.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 15 May 2014, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 10 years ago
[center]"Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer
Eighty high integrity recipes.
Support this site. Click on the Amazon banner at top of page and search for "Brewing Classic Styles"
Kindle about $10. Paperback about $12 plus delivery.[/center]
I'll write more here soon. For now, info on how to scale the recipes properly can be found at the end of this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 15 May 2014, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #5 made 10 years ago
[center]Waterproof Pocket Digital Food Thermometer
Support this site. Click on the Amazon banner at top of page and search for, "DT400 Waterproof Digital Thermometer".[/center]

Thermometers can be a great source of debate but I can highly recommend this one.

ADMIN NOTE: Currently unavailable on Amazon so try here.
Last edited by Yeasty on 16 May 2014, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #6 made 10 years ago
[center]"Brew Your Own British Real Ale" by Graham Wheeler
Support this site. Click on the Amazon banner at top of page and search for, "Graham Wheeler".
Paperback Only - around $18[/center]

This is a great book for Ales from this side of the pond. They scale well and have been discussed several times in the forum. More information on scaling the recipes can be found Here
Last edited by Yeasty on 16 May 2014, 20:32, edited 3 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Thanks Yeasty :salute:.

I've edited your posts above so they are in the same format as PP's. I've also checked to see if they are on Amazon and if so, have that in the header of the post so as people remember to order via the banner and keep PP writing long posts and full of light beer or coffee :). Your posts are also now linked in post #1.

Please though don't be worried about suggesting products not on Amazon. The point of the thread is to just identify high quality useful products. So links to home brew shops etc are also welcome. Useful/unique products only though. Don't want posts for gas disconnects or fermentor taps etc.

If the product is available on Amazon, I will always link it though and have the home brew shop as a secondary link. If people PM me with a source of the product in their region, I will add that link as well.

Thanks Yeasty,
Pat

P.S. monkeyman I might end up moving your post to a secondary thread later. This thread would be where people could give feedback on any of the products recommended here. Great to see you have found it useful already though.
Last edited by Pat on 17 May 2014, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #8 made 10 years ago
[center]Dry Fermentor Airlock
Not just a fermentor airlock!
Look at the pic here.
That's an Australian link - about AU$8***[/center]

This is one of my absolute favourites. When I get time I'll add some pics here. This silicone airlock allows you not only a perfect one-way air-lock but also many other options. For example, in one of the holes, I have a 'thermowell' which is a bit of stainless steel tube (same OD as a keg dip tube) sealed at one end. Inside that I put my thtermometer probe so I can measure the inside temp of the wort. These also enable closed transfers of wort. More details later ;).

***Possible Amazon Link - Click on Amazon banner and serach for "Vin Table Tapered Silicone Stopper"
Last edited by PistolPatch on 17 May 2014, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Re:

Post #10 made 10 years ago
JackRussel wrote:Wouldn't PH strips like these be more appropriate: http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/ph-p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... trips.html They have a narrower range of 4.6-6.2.
I have those. I'm not convinced of their quality. They seem to be erratic. I've only used them on 2 batches so far so I need to test more to be sure.
Last edited by Lumpy5oh on 18 May 2014, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #12 made 10 years ago
Re the pH strips. Firstly it is hard to know if they are the correct type as indicated by lumpy. Also they are very expensive compared to the 5m roll. Narrow range actually can be a disadvantage as many people's initial water will fall outside the narrow range. The other ones read well so no worries there ;).

Post #13 made 10 years ago
Yettiman wrote:Could I suggest adding:

-BIAB bags
Do not have quality link, as I wanted a quality fit for my kettle

- Pulley (I prefer non locking and to simply tie off the line, less to go wrong)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... rds=Pulley

In Canada http://www.biab-brewing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In USA http://biabbags.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both seem to have satisfied customers.
Last edited by JackRussel on 21 May 2014, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #14 made 10 years ago
Jack .. those do look good .... Saw them b4 on another sites ad and people do seem to like them.. I might check them out when I buy my 15 gal pot.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 24 guests