Bread making including Sour Dough

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I've started making my own bread again, I used to make it occasionally in the past with varied success but this time my results are much better. Perhaps I'm more patient in my old age and I'm now more familiar working with yeast which probably helps. I've got a sour dough starter on the go which has given me one batch of sour dough bread which was great, it could do with a bit more time to "mature" and get more active with wild yeasty's so I'm just feeding it daily at the moment.

Has anyone got a recipe using spent grain ? I fancy having a brewing/bread making day.

:salute:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Can't help with the recipe Yeasty, but i hope with all that lacto around now, you will move over to the sour mash brigade!
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Yeasty,

Somewhere I have a recipe with spent grains for making dog biscuits! The think the internet has spent bread recipes as well!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 11 years ago
mally wrote:Can't help with the recipe Yeasty, but i hope with all that lacto around now, you will move over to the sour mash brigade!
:thumbs:
Last edited by thughes on 10 Mar 2013, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 11 years ago
Yeasty,

Spend some time at this site. My wife and I make bread in this manner and it works really well for us.

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

Very active blog with great tips, recipes, ect.

If you always leave a bit of your previous dough in you bin while whipping uh a new batch, If quickly becomes sourdough.

trout
Last edited by 2trout on 10 Mar 2013, 23:02, edited 2 times in total.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 11 years ago
2trout.. that's a great method of making bread.. works like a charm.. I made my cloche out of a deep clay flower pot.. about 12" diameter and about 6" deep..

Dog Biscuits using grains.. they are great.. my doodle loves them.

Enclosed are two recipes I use:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #7 made 11 years ago
Yeasty,
I'm doing between 2 and 3 sourdough loaves a week - can't remember when last we bought a bread. I made a sponge a month or so ago and used a cup of spent grains (from a American Brown Ale recipe) in the sponge. The bread came really nice.

Recipe:
1. Make sponge:
- 250g sourdough
- 400g flour
- 500ml of water
- cup of spend grains
Mix the above well, cover and leave at room temp (17C - 21C) for 12-24 hours. I leave mine for 24h.

After the 12-24 hours:
- 400g of flour (You might want to add up to 50g additional flour, especially if the grains were really wet)
- 2 heaped teaspoons of salt

Knead well for at least 15 minutes. What I normally do is dump the dough in a baking tin, cover it in cling wrap and let it double in size (4-5 hours). I then pop it into a very hot over (230C) for 10-15 minutes and then turn down the heat to 180C for 20-30 minutes.

Variations to the above:
- If my fermentation fridge is free I pop the dough and tin in there are crank the temp up to 30C. The dough rise faster and you get bigger air pockets in the bread.
- The last bread I made (Thursday evening) I forgot to put in the oven! So it proved in the tin overnight (12h) at room temps. The resulting bread was VERY nice - light and airy - ciabatta like.

Do a search for Shipton Mills - they do some awesome flour and delivered anywhere in the UK.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Swaziland

Post #8 made 11 years ago
hbgBill, we have never used the cloche yet, we just free form the loaf and wing it.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews

Post #9 made 11 years ago
Yeasty, I wonder if you can make bread with spent grain only. It would be high fibre and would have virtually no carbs. With a hunk of cheddar and a pint of home brew, I’m picturing a wholesome ploughman’s lunch.

All the recipes for spent grain bread seem to be mostly flour with a cup of spent grain.

It wouldn’t take much effort to mix some bread yeast into spent grain and let it rise and bake it. The only wasted ingredients would be the yeast. Perhaps a bit of olive oil in there too?

Was it my “health advice” that drove you to start making bread again (I have that effect on people sometimes).

Ever put beer in your bread? If not, why the heck not?

I know you are probably still reeling from your pretend divorce and it might be unkind of me to mention it, but it wasn’t the beer that caused it all, it was probably the bread.

ps. If you ever get the DIPA recipe out of that guy would you pm it to me please. Thanks
Last edited by GuingesRock on 15 Mar 2013, 16:20, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #10 made 11 years ago
GuingesRock wrote:Yeasty, I wonder if you can make bread with spent grain only. It would be high fibre and would have virtually no carbs. With a hunk of cheddar and a pint of home brew, I’m picturing a wholesome ploughman’s lunch.
It would have to be a very large chunk of cheddar and a gallon of beer. :argh: I think I'll try making dog biscuits first !!!

:lol:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 15 Mar 2013, 17:10, edited 2 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #11 made 11 years ago
Yeasty wrote:
GuingesRock wrote:Yeasty, I wonder if you can make bread with spent grain only. It would be high fibre and would have virtually no carbs. With a hunk of cheddar and a pint of home brew, I’m picturing a wholesome ploughman’s lunch.
It would have to be a very large chunk of cheddar and a gallon of beer. :argh: I think I'll try making dog biscuits first !!!

:lol:

Yeasty
On the other hand Yeasty, if it is at all edible, there could be a fortune to be made in spent grain, zero carb, zero calorie, high fibre bread. It’s what the world has been waiting for! All it would need is some clever marketing and packaging.

On a smaller scale, the home brewer could sell it to his local health food shop and re-coup his beer making costs :party:
Last edited by GuingesRock on 16 Mar 2013, 19:42, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #12 made 11 years ago
Well, it won't have zero carbs or calories.. but, what the hey.. Make it and market it as a colon health product.. it'll scrub everything slicker than a whistle. :lol: :shoot:
Bill

Post #13 made 11 years ago
You can call it colonblow!
Bobbrews

Post #14 made 11 years ago
I made the bread with the spent grains today. I had a bowel of baker’s yeast growing away with sugar and water at 100f. I waited until the grains had cooled to 100f and mixed the yeast in together with some canola oil and a bit of salt, and actually threw in some oatmeal too. I let it “rise” and baked it. I suppose I should have put in some flour or egg to bind it a bit as when I tipped it onto the wire rack to cool, it was just like throwing a few pounds of spent grain over the counter top and the kitchen floor. Yippee! As if I hadn’t already had enough cleaning up from the brew.

I tasted it. It tasted exactly like sawdust.

I’m handing this idea over to anyone else who might be interested now for further development. I feel I have already done my bit for “the cause” with this one.

My wife made a couple of loaves at the same time with flour. milk, egg and honey in them. They are looking great, rising away under the piano in their tins. That’s ticking me off even more.
Guinges

Post #15 made 11 years ago
GR... that's truly funny.. er.. maybe not so funny on your end.. but, ya gotta learn to laugh at your mistakes.

When I do my bread, I make a basic whole wheat bread and add 1cup of spent grains to the mix. Usually what I do is to dry my grains in a low oven. Then put my grains into a VitaMix (heavy duty blender) and pulverize the grains to a course powder. So, that's what I add to my bread. I do have to adjust the liquid portion to account for the extra grain "stuff". But, the bread is great.

Tonight, I'm making a Shepherd's Pie that contains about 24 oz of dry stout. That'll help a bit with my storehouse of finished beer. Better yet, make enough for a few people and have them help me with the beer.. I'm getting anxious to brew again.
Bill

Post #16 made 11 years ago
Yer ok Bill, It was supposed to be humorous. The cottage pie sounds great! Oh the timer has just gone off and my wife is turning out her loaves of bread Grrrrrrr.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guinges

Post #18 made 11 years ago
Bill, I had some last night with butter and marmalade, and another slice with butter and Marmite. It was really very delicious, I just had some more with my morning tea.

Apparently you can freeze the spent grain, so we put some in the freezer.

I noticed she’s written notes in my brewing journal Headed “Kathleen’s Bread Batch 1”…..

1 ½ c. whole wheat flour
2c. spent grain
1tsp yeast
1tsp salt
1 egg
1/8c honey
1/8c olive oil
1/3 - 1/2 cup milk
Last edited by GuingesRock on 24 Mar 2013, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #19 made 11 years ago
Yessir.. the grains freeze quite well. I have enough frozen for a while.. Just have to take that moisture into consideration when making the bread.. else the dough is too wet. Another fun part is that different grain combos ( ales, stouts, porters, etc ) have different colors and tastes. Makes for interesting breads and muffins.

Is that your recipe above that fell apart or the good one? Reason I ask is that the ratio of spent grains to flour seems high. I make a regular recipe for whole wheat bread and toss in a cup of spent grain.

BTW, where in Canada are you located..? Inquiring minds want to know. Ass-umption is.. the far east :)
Bill

Post #21 made 11 years ago
No bread tonight. Making up a large batch of the Shepherd's Pie. Uses 24 oz of my Stout. Smells GREAT. Hope it tastes that good. If it's as good as I think it will be.. I'll post a recipe. Maybe even get a picture in if I can make it look good. :)

Edit: Not as good a photog as GR.. but, was mighty tasty stuff.
Last edited by HbgBill on 25 Mar 2013, 08:57, edited 2 times in total.
Bill

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 52 guests