Your hobbies......?

Post #1 made 12 years ago
Aside from brewing, what are your other hobbies?

I love paddlesports, and have a surf kayak I take out on the North Sea, and also a 15ft Canadian canoe I paddle the Norfolk Broadside with. I also occassionly make English longbows.

How about you..?

Post #2 made 12 years ago
My main recreation would be hunting. We have a 3 1/2 month deer season so after that it is brewing and catching up on honey do's
Fermenting:

Bottle Conditioning

Up Next:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 12 years ago
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention football. Again, watching not playing.

Mind you, my team is having a bit of a crap patch at the moment, and at this rate we're likely to be playing Everton in the semi finals of the FA cup with Bob Paisley in goal ...... !

Post #7 made 12 years ago
Medieval Camping as part of the SCA.

Actually it's more SWMBO's thing, I just like drinking beer 24/7 amongst good company ;)
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #8 made 12 years ago
For a hobby I enjoy lying comatose from testing home-brew. When I wake up I test out hangover remedies. The next day I do it all over again! As an extra bit of hobby I am growing a beard. People have said that "The more he covers his face the better he looks"! I assume they meant they wanted me to grow a beard? I do love American football!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #9 made 12 years ago
BobBrews wrote:For a hobby I enjoy lying comatose from testing home-brew. When I wake up I test out hangover remedies. The next day I do it all over again! As an extra bit of hobby I am growing a beard. People have said that "The more he covers his face the better he looks"! I assume they meant they wanted me to grow a beard? I do love American football!
My goodness! What a coincidence - these are my hobbies as well - amazing!!! Hold on... I don't know/therefore like American football :smoke:.

I didn't even realise until this thread was started that there were other hobbies besides brewing :o.

I do make my own bread every week from natural yeast but I thought this was just a necessity???

I also read a lot* - mainly thrillers - but also love anything about innovation. Best source of the latter would definitely be TED.

Oh, and I like clever TV** and movies when I get the time.

;)
PP

* Best reads of the last few years would be 'The Book Thief' and 'The Hunger Games'. On the latter, the books were far better than the movie.

** 'The Killing' was one of the best of the last year.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 12 Apr 2012, 22:29, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #11 made 12 years ago
Brewing is the only 'real' hobby I get time for and that is limited.

If enjoying sport is included, then watching my son play Rugby and watching international Rugby games.

Reading, currently reading Lewis Carroll's Alice's adventures in wonderland and other writings. Also Men of Destiny - Socrates by A E Taylor.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #14 made 12 years ago
stux wrote:Medieval Camping as part of the SCA.

Actually it's more SWMBO's thing, I just like drinking beer 24/7 amongst good company ;)
Hey did you ever consider making the trip to the Abbey Medieval Festival http://abbeytournament.com/held near Bribie Island every year? It's the biggest Medieval fair in the Southern Hemisphere.

My own big hobby at the moment is British Indian Restaurant cooking. It's quite different to what they actually cook in India and it's not only the most popular food in the UK but it's catching on in Australia in a big way. For example the most popular dish in the UK has for some time been Chicken Tikka Masala, that was actually invented in Glasgow :argh:

I'm starting curry college next week with Sunday Afternoon lessons run by a top Indian Chef in Brisbane, at a restaurant.

My take on Lamb Madras:
Last edited by Beachbum on 18 Apr 2012, 12:38, edited 3 times in total.

Post #15 made 12 years ago
Beachbum wrote:
stux wrote:Medieval Camping as part of the SCA.

Hey did you ever consider making the trip to the Abbey Medieval Festival http://abbeytournament.com/held near Bribie Island every year? It's the biggest Medieval fair in the Southern Hemisphere.
SCA on this page
http://abbeytournament.com/get-involved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nt-groups/

Planning on heading out to Iron Fest in Lithgow this weekend, in 15th century gear...
http://www.ironfest.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Went in Steampunk last year...

My wife's been working on her 'indian' cooking... she recently got a cook book for traditional indian cooking, again, a very different thing :)
Last edited by stux on 18 Apr 2012, 14:08, edited 3 times in total.
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #16 made 12 years ago
Apart from eating and drinking (obviously), I am a drummer, singer & guitarist (in that order). I am obsessed with all things HiFi. My current system would cost more than a new C-Class Merc to replace and has taken 10 years to accumulate. To play on it, I have over 1000 vinyl albums (and growing) and about 2000 CDs.

For outdoor pursuits, I play golf and also race a Caterham Clubsport both here and in Europe.

That takes care of any cash I may have. Luckily the missus works, so I am not funding her as well.
[center]Royalty ? I like the show but can't stand the actors.[/center]

Post #17 made 12 years ago
Hiking, Naturalist stuff (birding, edible plants, paleo-technology, etc.) Herbalism and medicine-making, cheese making, wine/mead making. Classic rock, playing with grandkids. Yeast-whispering. Watching the stir-plate tornado. Sniffing airlocks. Stealing a taste of what my wife is cooking without injury. Instructing other motorists (against their will) how-to-drive. Mastering the art of eating a Ghost Chile Pepper without crying like a little girl.

Post #18 made 12 years ago
thughes wrote:collecting motorcycles (I currently have 3 of them)
Motorbikes as well, but I only have 2, and ones my wifes, so i guess that means only one.

Currently looking at building a dehydrator to make jerky/biltong. It goes well with beer :thumbs:
Last edited by Aces high on 20 Apr 2012, 12:19, edited 3 times in total.

Post #19 made 12 years ago
Aces high wrote:
Motorbikes as well, but I only have 2, and ones my wifes, so i guess that means only one.

Currently looking at building a dehydrator to make jerky/biltong. It goes well with beer :thumbs:
There are some really good DIY dehydrator plans on the web. Let me know if you need links. Yes, jerky from my store-bought dehydrator is awesome. One year for Christmas, I made all of the grandkids "meat canes" and hung them on the tree. Big hit! I used ground beef and one of those jerky stick guns, then bent them into candy canes shapes and put Christmas ribbons on them. Still getting requests every year.
Last edited by Ziggybrew on 20 Apr 2012, 12:36, edited 3 times in total.

Post #20 made 12 years ago
Aces high wrote:

I used to only have one but then I traded the wife for the other two. Best deal I ever made. :smoke:
Last edited by thughes on 20 Apr 2012, 20:01, edited 3 times in total.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #21 made 12 years ago
Wow! Never thought that I would see the word biltong on this forum! I've been making my own (inclduing a variety of preserved sausages) in my home build "drying box".

I've got a couple of old steel (retro) mountain bikes but cycling is not a hobby - it a way of justifying the amount of beer, bourbon and whisky I drink.
Watching cricket, fishing and scuba diving are other, neglected, hobbies.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Swaziland

Post #22 made 12 years ago
Ziggybrew wrote:Hiking, Naturalist stuff...
I can't believe Ziggy is a naturist. I think Ziggy is top row second from left :interesting:.
lambert wrote:Watching cricket, fishing and scuba diving are other, neglected, hobbies.
To stop neglecting the scuba diving lambert, just drop your thermometer in the kettle on each brew :).
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Apr 2012, 22:16, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #23 made 12 years ago
[Sorry about the earlier rant.]

I fiddle (started as an adult). Currently playing in Irish and Scottish sessions.

Indoor rock climbing. Also started as an adult.
Last edited by smyrnaquince on 01 May 2012, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post #24 made 12 years ago
lambert wrote:I've been making my own (inclduing a variety of preserved sausages) in my home build "drying box".
Nice mate, I've been making cured meats for 2 years now, mainly because it's cheaper/healthier/tastier.
I've done bacon of course,
a Greek traditional cured pork fillet(salted for 3 days/ in wine for 2 weeks and then preserved in olive oil),
another Greek traditional cured beef that is preserved in a paste of paprika and finely grinded fenugreek seeds.
The friend of mine that got me into cured meats is Miren who participated here a bit. He has made a
kick ass prosciuto. I still remember it's taste!

Like Patrick I make every second day sourdough. We haven't bough bread for like 3 years or more.
I could say that I love breadmaking as much as brewing but I guess
most of you will hunt me down and kill me for saying something like that :lol: :lol:

Music is a hobby of mine that got neglected, but I love playing all kinds of string instruments, though I mainly play guitar.
Oh and photography, before my lenses got stolen that is...
Last edited by kostass on 28 Apr 2012, 16:34, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 47 guests