Post #101 made 12 years ago
Thanks for the quick reply Joshua. That's reassuring to hear. It's just such a simple process, it seemed easier than extract brewing with steeping grains. I'm glad I don't need a big cooler taking up space in my small kitchen.

At this point I'm getting familiar with the whole procedure etc. In looking at other recipes (I already have a few lined up) I very simply change the total grain bill to about 10 lbs while keeping the same grain ratio. That's all there is to "converting" a recipe right? Of course we keep the same ratio of hops as the original recipe as well and take into account maybe slightly poorer hop utilization but then were good right? I have my eye on a simple scotch ale for the next one. It amounts to about 9.5lb of grain. Guess I just wanted a more expierenced biaber to check to see if I missed something.

Thanks again :salute:

Post #102 made 12 years ago
Good Day Cascades, Yes, the ratios/percents of grains in any recipe can be changed for total weight. The hop weights CAN be changed the same way, BUT, the bitterness is a personal taste. The flavor and aroma values Do ratio very well.
If your process can be repeated batch after batch, The numbers you can collect will help you learn where you can improve your process. Experience is something you gain, well after you need it!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #103 made 11 years ago
Hi I am looking to do a maxi-biab. Is there a calculator to use to figure out about how much grain I will need and about how much I will get out of it?
The pot I have has a diameter of 30 cm and a height of 23 cm. It has a volume of ~16 L (4 gallons).

I did a BIAB using it with PistolPatch's help and with my next batch I would like to try doing a maxi-biab

Post #105 made 11 years ago
Hey there Paudle ;),

If you can fit a second 16L pot on your stovetop, then I'd be looking at getting that and another bag and doing the brews simultaneously as the one 16L kettle is still going to limit you a lot even using all the maxi-BIAB techniques there are. It will end up being a lot of work for you for not that much extra gain :dunno:.

Give it a crack on your next go though and see what happens. The major principle is to get as much of the water 'touching' the grain at some point either in the mash or through a sparge. You can also dilute the wort up to a certain amount and at various times during the boil or in the fermentor. All up using maxi-BIAB techniques, I reckon you can get around 16L of wort into your fermentor from your 16L kettle before you start running into unpredictable territory, maybe a bit more with some good trub management.)

If you get stuck on the numbers, once you have a recipe chosen, let us know and we'll get you sorted. (Try and pick a recipe of around 1.050 OG for this exercise as the higher the gravity, the faster you reach quantity limits.).

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #108 made 11 years ago
Hi All. This looks like a great technique. I have two follow-up questions (Assuming I have a 19L kettle, and want to hit 21L in the fermenter):

During the boil process, you are continually pouring boiling water over the grains into a bucket, and adding that to the boil to keep it topped off (please correct me if I'm wrong). At the end of the boil, I should end up with something like 18L in the kettle, which I cool and add to the fermenter.

Here's my first question:

To hit my desired volume (21L), can I add 3L of the sparge/grain/dunked water to the fermenter, or should I add clear water, AND should this water be added as-is, or should I boil it first to sanitize then cool to fermentation temp (70F)?

Second Question:

I used the amazing MaxiBIAB Calc for an american ale with a volume of 21L. The grain bill came out to 5.736Kg, however in the forumns I read that the sweetspot for grainbills using a MaxiBIAB recipe is just over 4KG. Can someone explain this? Should I reduce my grain bill, or does it look correct? The recipe's OG is 1.058. Do I need to choose a recipe with a lighter gravity to be able to hit my calculations?

Thanks!
Last edited by frederick7 on 27 Feb 2013, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post #109 made 11 years ago
Good Day, I may Be Math Challenged, But if you need 21L into the fermenter, you can do a MAXI-BIAB to get some High Gravity wort, But I think you will need to Add clear water to diluted the 18.0L(1.0L for boiling) into a 21L.

So you will need to plan for 1.067Sg in the kettle to get 1.058sg into the fermenter after diluting.

That is why you need a 5.754Kg grainbill. Or that is what I figure.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #110 made 11 years ago
frederick, this is a very old thread and it needs to be closed.

Thousands of files have been posted on BIABrewer.info in many different threads. This thread is very out of date. The thread it is based on also stretches kettle size and labour to extremes.

The current culmination of all the work done on BIABrewer/info can be found here. The BIABacus replaces all prior spreadsheets on the site and has the power to handle the complexities of full-volume variations.

Take the time to input your figures and then post your file to the recommended thread. Several posters will help you there.

Please read the above carefully as this thread is now closed.
Last edited by BIABrewer on 27 Feb 2013, 04:15, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Full-Volume Variations - FVV (diluting and/or sparging)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests