BIAC ! Brew in a can.

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I've just done a BIAC batch, I think its easier than using a bag. (Can = SS pot with mesh bottom)
The solid sides simply make it easier to manipulate, lift it out, tap it out, quick rinse and its a hop spyder :)

The only disadvantage I can think of is that it won't scale up as well, go big and it would get clumsy.

I recirculated this time more as a test than for any better reason and to see it step mash. Next time I do a single temp mash the I may not bother with the recirculating , its just more cleaning.

Glad I found this forum.

Aamcle
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Hi Aamcle,

Welcome to BIABrewer,

How have you found the straining working for you?

I use a voile bag, fine enough to give a good filter, yet still allows for a fast drain, how did you find the steel mesh, did it filter ok?

Look forward to hear more about your system and how the Brewday went

Yettiman
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 10 years ago
It took two attempts to get the right mesh, I think its 7# that I'm using now I tried 20# but it blocked and I reverted to my bag.

The bag I have it a bit too fine it doesn't drain well which is one of the reasons I started to experiment.

As for the brew day it went very well all temperatures held to 1°C and for once no mishaps! It cool in the cube now I'll start it in a day or so.

Atb. Aamcle

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Nothing wrong with this aamcle except for the first line of your first post. Let me talk about what is right first...

In BIAB, if you have a tall, narrow pot, you are going to experience different dynamics than a brewer with a wider, more shallow pot. In the first pot,you will need to pull more slowly otherwise the bag will act like a syringe. This will not occur in wider pots though. In other words, in certain circumstances, given the right conditions, a porous cylinder may be of more benefit than a bag.

Now, I will talk about what is wrong. (I think the below has merit but if you think I am being overly harsh please let me know.)

1. FGS, don't coin a new term :).*** I still rue the day I finalised the suggestion, "BIAB".
2. Every brewer's circumstances are different. Kettles vary. The ability to use a rope and pulley varies.
3. Cost
4. This system needs a rope and pulley if the grain bill is of any size. But, if you have that and a wider kettle, where is the advantage?
5. The bag is an almost perfect manifold as it drains from the sides and the bottom. A cylinder with a porous bottom, whilst not as bad in channelling as traditional brewing, still will have some channelling.

I think, BIAC (apart from the name), is perfectly valid if you have a narrow kettle, have a pulley and can get the 'basket'* manufactured cheaply.

Like the way you're thinking though,
PP

*** I think I have gone mad. The brewing in the basket idea has been discussed many times. Can't believe I forgot the word basket :roll:. Search BIABrewer,info for 'basket' and a lot more will come up.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 10 years ago
I was lucky enough to get tall n narrow for my Can, its actually a second hand SS bread bin, and the mesh is a leftover from my NextGen build the total cost was about the same as a bought bag.

It may be just me but I don't like the hot wet floppy bag even though I'm using a hoist, on the small scale I'm brewing at 12-15 litres the can suites me.

ATB. aamcle

PS I like the term BIAB :champ:

Return to “Full-Volume Variations - FVV (diluting and/or sparging)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests